Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mayock turned on Geno the minute the Jets drafted him

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Wait, are some people seriously suggesting that NFL Network had two copies of Geno Smith tape made, one labeled "Geno Smith - selected by Jets" and "Geno Smith -selected by other 31 teams?" LOL. I mean, I get the media bias against the Jets and fully believe that much of it is unfair, but that is some straight up tin foil hat stuff.
    Yes, the suggestion IS that there were "positive" and "negative" video packages for many of the drafted players, but in the first two rounds, the only "negative" packages I saw were for Dee Milliner and Geno Smith. Mayock changed the anyalysis and commentary he had for both Milliner and Smith for months leading up to the draft AFTER the Jets had picked each of them. It was blatant Jets bashing. Look, we all know that there's a certain New York bias in the media, but this was just waaaaaay over the top. I hope one of the other media outlets calls him out on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Excellent point! I have had a laugh at some posters. In todays modern era they do not believe in the possibility that two tapes existed on aparticular player and at a moments notice the producer & analyst can pick the one they want to show. Kind of like statistics! They don't lie but liars use them to make their point!
    Fine, then don't blame Mayock. It's not his decision. He's just doing as he is told - even if everyone's conspiracy theories that the network stayed up till all hours of the night dreaming up ways to make the Jets look bad are true, using thousands of manhours and burning thousands of unnecessary clips. The difference in him is apparent once they promoted him from straight talent evaluation to being the on air talent.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Unbelievable that people don't get this and think you can roll any kind of tape at any moment with no more than a second's notice. The pick was made they had to play what they had cued up, and it would have been the producer deciding what to show anyway. Best they could have done is not show it at all, but then what, dead air?
    You are correct

Sorry but there's some basic inability to read going on with some of the responses here.

As I pretty clearly stated the story on Geno will have changed after he failed to go Rd 1 and for Mayock the highlights package needed to reflect that.It's possible(though not at all certain)that they re-edited slightly overnight but equally likely they didn't.In any case that re-edit will have been to reflect the reasons for his free-falling stock which was clearly the story of the 2nd day.

You might also notice that the Manti T'eo highlight wasn't all that positive either and included him being run over by Eddie Lacy and generally abused in the Alabama BCS game.For the same reasons.

If you seriously think the NFL Network production team will have edited a negative highlight package on every prospect just in case the Jets drafted them then you are delusional.The work that would go into the editing process on what might need to be between 40 to 50 prospects at least with 99.9% of them never seeing the light of day is just not credible.
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 04-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The only problem i see is that u guys were watching nfl network. When it comes to the draft, you watch mel kiper and nobody else. He is the godfather of the draft. Next year, turn off nfl network and tune in to mel kiper.
    I learned my lesson and will tune into BS-pn next draft if only to hear what Mel has to say.

A quick google search shows that Mayock used the exact same footage and almost the exact same verbiage when he evaluated Geno Smith on NFLN on February 23rd as he did right after the Jets picked him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1ga7E742M

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    A quick google search shows that Mayock used the exact same footage and almost the exact same verbiage when he evaluated Geno Smith on NFLN on February 23rd as he did right after the Jets picked him.

Damn you factinista! For all we know you might have planted that back in February, knowing this would come up.

Your first post.

We always remember our "firsts".

Welcome aboard.

in my opinion the issue here is not if NFLN and Mayock like the pick or not.

there will be many times to critic Geno and other players and what will they do or not do in the NFL.

however for many years all I see is highlight reel for every player selected no matter where or what team.

for most players this night is about making the dream come true
    many of them worked very hard to get to that point and have family and friends watching and showing the "bloopers" reel of them is despicable.

how can you do that to the young man?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I saw and heard those comments too. But did you see the about face MAYOCK did at the moment GENO was drafted by us? He went from just saying what a great value Geno would be to I do not understand this pick! That is what this op is complaining about. IMO it was totally uncalled for and the guy came across as a two faced bs artist.
    He is two face on this issue. There is a hidden agenda we don't know about. Sometimes I wonder if they are told in their ear piece to knock a player. The media loves to create controversy with the Jets and then say they created it themselves.

Jets Insider VIP
    He said one thing. Then said the exact opposite.

Only generational inbreeding would convince you that there's nothing to it.

Cousins upon cousins upon cousins...

I have a question.

I didn't see it, so I don't know. In his commentary after the pick did he also say all the good stuff too, like he does during the first half of the clip you provided?

And like some others, I don't recall him showing other players low lights - I mean every player has them.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    in my opinion the issue here is not if NFLN and Mayock like the pick or not.

there will be many times to critic Geno and other players and what will they do or not do in the NFL.

however for many years all I see is highlight reel for every player selected no matter where or what team.

for most players this night is about making the dream come true
    many of them worked very hard to get to that point and have family and friends watching and showing the "bloopers" reel of them is despicable.

how can you do that to the young man?
    Dead on correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Mel Kiper and ESPN schooled Maycock and Eisen this weekend, I'm saying this and I hate ESPN.
    +1..kiper is still king..better cast around him also w mcshay..gruden..and trey wing on 2nd day they have to get rid of Berman!!! ugggh

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He is two face on this issue. There is a hidden agenda we don't know about. Sometimes I wonder if they are told in their ear piece to knock a player. The media loves to create controversy with the Jets and then say they created it themselves.
    If it's 'hidden' and nobody knows about it, how is it that everyone's talking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    If it's 'hidden' and nobody knows about it, how is it that everyone's talking about it?
    Because they went too far and got caught.

Charlie Casserly loved out draft and everyone was looking at him like "How could you not fall in line with trashing the Jets?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    I have a question.

I didn't see it, so I don't know. In his commentary after the pick did he also say all the good stuff too, like he does during the first half of the clip you provided?

And like some others, I don't recall him showing other players low lights - I mean every player has them.
    I think he tried, but when they started rolling the video (the beginning part with the good plays) Rich Eisen wouldn't shut his pie hole, so by the time Mayock got to speak the video was already past the good plays and he just picked up the commentary where the video was.

The clip was up on NFL.com earlier today, but I can't seem to find it now.

Edit: Here's the actual coverage from the draft (with video).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-no-39-overall
    Last edited by Jet Express; 04-28-2013 at 07:41 PM.

I think he tried, but when they started rolling the video (the beginning part with the good plays) Rich Eisen wouldn't shut his pie hole, so by the time Mayock got to speak the video was already past the good plays and he just picked up the commentary where the video was.

The clip was up on NFL.com earlier today, but I can't seem to find it now.
    They're destroying the evidence.

So a QB that Mayock has going to the Browns with his 6th pick in his mock draft and who he ranks #21 out of his top 100 now is hardly worthy of the 39th pick.....

His #1 rated QB is now a mostly negative review by him.....What the hell did he say about Nassib and Barkley and others?.....
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 04-28-2013 at 07:58 PM.