Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mayock turned on Geno the minute the Jets drafted him

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Express View Post
    I think he tried, but when they started rolling the video (the beginning part with the good plays) Rich Eisen wouldn't shut his pie hole, so by the time Mayock got to speak the video was already past the good plays and he just picked up the commentary where the video was.

The clip was up on NFL.com earlier today, but I can't seem to find it now.

Edit: Here's the actual coverage from the draft (with video).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-no-39-overall
    Thanks for digging that up.

So he spends 10 seconds on the good and two minutes on the bad here for whatever reason.

And again, every QB has overthrows, underthrows, etc. Even Brady. To say Geno has to make those throws 100% of the time is ridiculous.

And to harp on the negative on this kid's draft day is petty.

He also reveals his bias at the end when he thinks it's so hilarious that he's going to the Jets because we have Tim Tebow, and four other QBs on the roster, like that's relevant to anything.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    in my opinion the issue here is not if NFLN and Mayock like the pick or not.

there will be many times to critic Geno and other players and what will they do or not do in the NFL.

however for many years all I see is highlight reel for every player selected no matter where or what team.

for most players this night is about making the dream come true
    many of them worked very hard to get to that point and have family and friends watching and showing the "bloopers" reel of them is despicable.

how can you do that to the young man?
    Totally agree. That's what makes it so trashy. Pathetic job by NFL Network.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Totally agree. That's what makes it so trashy. Pathetic job by NFL Network.
    They did it with the Milliner pick too showing him dropping balls at the combine. Thought it was strange and have never seen something like that before

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    Yes, the suggestion IS that there were "positive" and "negative" video packages for many of the drafted players, but in the first two rounds, the only "negative" packages I saw were for Dee Milliner and Geno Smith. Mayock changed the anyalysis and commentary he had for both Milliner and Smith for months leading up to the draft AFTER the Jets had picked each of them. It was blatant Jets bashing. Look, we all know that there's a certain New York bias in the media, but this was just waaaaaay over the top. I hope one of the other media outlets calls him out on it.
    Really? Here is what Mayock said about Geno in his freaking Mock Draft:

When I look at Geno, I see a kid who's got everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback, but there's just too much bad tape. I would not take him this early; I would go for an edge or a corner. However, I really think Joe Banner might pull the trigger on the quarterback from West Virginia.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    So a QB that Mayock has going to the Browns with his 6th pick in his mock draft and who he ranks #21 out of his top 100 now is hardly worthy of the 39th pick.....

His #1 rated QB is now a mostly negative review by him.....What the hell did he say about Nassib and Barkley and others?.....
    It's the context of the pick. If Smith had gone to a team with a fairly established QB where he would have sat for a year or two his reaction probably would have been different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    They did it with the Milliner pick too showing him dropping balls at the combine. Thought it was strange and have never seen something like that before
    I thought it was telling that they focused on Milliner's dropped balls at the combine when they knew he had a torn labrum and was going to have surgery... the same torn labrum that prevented him from lifting... gee, I wonder how easy it is to catch a ball with a ripped shoulder?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Wait, are some people seriously suggesting that NFL Network had two copies of Geno Smith tape made, one labeled "Geno Smith - selected by Jets" and "Geno Smith -selected by other 31 teams?" LOL. I mean, I get the media bias against the Jets and fully believe that much of it is unfair, but that is some straight up tin foil hat stuff.
    No, troll dick, that's not what they are suggesting.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Really? Here is what Mayock said about Geno in his freaking Mock Draft:

Quote:
    When I look at Geno, I see a kid who's got everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback, but there's just too much bad tape. I would not take him this early; I would go for an edge or a corner. However, I really think Joe Banner might pull the trigger on the quarterback from West Virginia.

Geno did not get drafted early, though. He got drafted in the 2nd round, and without trading up for him, as many speculated might happen. But Mayock's ONLY focus was to critisize the Jets for taking him, period, and then proceeded to trash his abilities, never sounding like the same "analyst" that consistently called him a "franchise quarterback" previosuly. I'm all for a fair analysis of a player and bringing up both the good and bad, but this was a smear job against the Jets, no doubt about it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno did not get drafted early, though. He got drafted in the 2nd round, and without trading up for him, as many speculated might happen. But Mayock's ONLY focus was to critisize the Jets for taking him, period, and then proceeded to trash his abilities, never sounding like the same "analyst" that consistently called him a "franchise quarterback" previosuly. I'm all for a fair analysis of a player and bringing up both the good and bad, but this was a smear job against the Jets, no doubt about it.

Mayock didn't "consistently call him a franchise QB" previously. Again, this is what he said about him in his mock:

"When I look at Geno, I see a kid who's got everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback, but there's just too much bad tape," Mayock writes. "I would not take him this early; I would go for an edge or a corner. However, I really think Joe Banner might pull the trigger on the quarterback from West Virginia." We doubt the Browns go quarterback this early.

Do you see the word "BUT" in that statement ?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock didn't "consistently call him a franchise QB" previously. Again, this is what he said about him in his mock:

Leading up to his mock draft and the actual draft, he consistently called him a franchise QB and said he was the only QB in the class worthy of a 1st round grade. He did say that there was some bad tape out there, but that was NEVER the main focus of his narrative at any point until AFTER the Jets drafted him. If you are suggesting that he didn't childishly go after Geno and the Jets and had what was seemingly a rant filled hissy fit on the air right after the Jets made the pick, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

"When I look at Geno, I see a kid who's got everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback, but there's just too much bad tape," Mayock writes. "I would not take him this early; I would go for an edge or a corner.

Yes, but that is EXACTLY what the Jets did. The jets followed Mayock's "instructions" to a T. They DID NOT take him too early (as in a top 10 pick). The Jets DID take a corner (the highest rated in the draft). The jets also took a "pass rusher" in Richardson at 13.

Sounds to me like mayock was creating drama for TV and not objectively analyzing the selection.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yes, but that is EXACTLY what the Jets did. The jets followed Mayock's "instructions" to a T. They DID NOT take him too early (as in a top 10 pick). The Jets DID take a corner (the highest rated in the draft). The jets also took a "pass rusher" in Richardson at 13.

Sounds to me like mayock was creating drama for TV and not objectively analyzing the selection.
    I think you're right. But, then again, that's what television sports coverage is all about, creating drama.

If you go back and watch the coverage of the Jets picking Geno Smith, and if you watch the tape and listen closely, you can actually hear Mayock's commentary at the beginning of the tape for about 5 seconds, then it is suddenly shut out by the producers.

That leads me to believe that the NFLN production staff planned to go with pre-cut video and audio when Geno was selected. It was the same video and audio they cut back on February 23rd when Mayock did his analysis of all the college QBs, including Geno. It presented both the good and the bad.

It got overrun because Rich Eisen couldn't shut his pie hole. Eisen was bound and determined to make the Jets look like idiots, regardless of who they picked. He's a SOJF who happens to have a position in the media. Hopefully, not for much longer.

Mayock is not the bad guy here. He's been remarkably consistent in his appraisal of Geno Smith from Day 1.

It was Eisen. The "star" of NFLN, overstepping his bounds that colored the Jets pick in a negative light.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Again, the issue is context (in my opinion). IF you watched on day 1 as it got later in the day, they talked about how teams picking on the 20 - 32 range were good teams. Usually, playoff teams. Those teams already have established QBs.

Generally, teams that would take a QB in the top 15/20 are teams that are looking for a starter/franchise QB. Teams taking a QB later in the first round and even into the 2nd are looking for a future starting QB, one who will understudy for a while.

In looking at this, you can't forget the team and the situation that the QB is going into. That's why Mayock didn't like the pick. As I said elsewhere, if the Pats, Steelers, Broncos or any other team with an established QB had taken Smith with the 39th pick, the reaction would have been different.

After the selection, another "expert" talked about how things are done in the NFL when there has been a regime change (might have been Bilick, but can't remember.) Idzik is new GM. Marty is new OC. They basically gave Rex a clean slate/do over. Part of this is selecting a new "franchise QB", which is how they viewed the Geno pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Mayock is a very good talent evaluator, but He occasionally suffers from the same disease that Francesa has had for years....He thinks he is bigger than the moment. Simple as that.
    And that happens all too often. During draft time it's like Christmas for him, he goes into overdrive nodding his Dracula hair, squinting, tut tutting etc

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leading up to his mock draft and the actual draft, he consistently called him a franchise QB and said he was the only QB in the class worthy of a 1st round grade. He did say that there was some bad tape out there, but that was NEVER the main focus of his narrative at any point until AFTER the Jets drafted him. If you are suggesting that he didn't childishly go after Geno and the Jets and had what was seemingly a rant filled hissy fit on the air right after the Jets made the pick, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.
    That's just not true. Mayock had plenty of red flags on Geno well before the draft. He questioned his work ethic, pocket awareness, deep ball accuracy and said he probably shouldn't be a top 20 pick. Here's the negatives quoted from April 4th.

“It’s absolutely the football side,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness — five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily, and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There’s no internal clock, there’s no feel.”

Mayock also said that while Smith threw a lot of long touchdown passes at West Virginia, he could have thrown a lot more if he didn’t miss open receivers downfield.

Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew,” Mayock said. “He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there’s a lack of anticipation and timing.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-geno-smith/