Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayock turned on Geno the minute the Jets drafted him

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayock turned on Geno the minute the Jets drafted him

I have always been a huge fan of Mike Mayock. I still respect his ability and knowledge and I think he is the best out there. Having said that, all he did was praise Geno Smith the whole first day, first round and the very minute the Jets drafted him he did an about face and started to trash Geno. Because Geno did not go the first day the NFL network had footage ready to roll the second day of the draft of Geno's worst throws of the year. I'm not sure what the agenda was for Mike or the network but it was so obvious that my wife who doesn't give a s***, was asking me right at the time saying" that was the guy who was talking and saying good things about Geno yesterday" why's he and that other guy "Eisen" saying all that bad stuff about the Jets. I had to turn it to ESPN for the whole rest of the draft. Anybody else drafts Geno and Mayock would have stuck to his guns. So obvious, it's way beyond unprofessional.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, and if Mayock denies this, as he likes to say, "just play the tape" from both days.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Noticed the same thing too. Very odd...not cause of the flip flopping that happens all the time from the talking heads. But I can't understand the agenda for it, other than the old bad news is better news for the media. This plays up to the "Jets Circus, QB Drama Angle" If all agree that Geno was the right pick and Sanchez and Tebow are both done, then no ones going to care about the story. But if they keep saying "OMG the JETS have 3 QBs that NO ONE wants!" It makes for a better media story.

With that said, the people that love the circus angle always seemed to not mention David Garrard at all. They just kept saying "well if geno is not ready you're stuck with sanchez and tebow still"

Whereas the people who loved the geno picked all mentioned "it makes sense because you have david garrard to mentor him."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    I have always been a huge fan of Mike Mayock. I still respect his ability and knowledge and I think he is the best out there. Having said that, all he did was praise Geno Smith the whole first day, first round and the very minute the Jets drafted him he did an about face and started to trash Geno. Because Geno did not go the first day the NFL network had footage ready to roll the second day of the draft of Geno's worst throws of the year. I'm not sure what the agenda was for Mike or the network but it was so obvious that my wife who doesn't give a s***, was asking me right at the time saying" that was the guy who was talking and saying good things about Geno yesterday" why's he and that other guy "Eisen" saying all that bad stuff about the Jets. I had to turn it to ESPN for the whole rest of the draft. Anybody else drafts Geno and Mayock would have stuck to his guns. So obvious, it's way beyond unprofessional.....
    He was pointing out why he fell to the 2nd...I guess you missed the part where he mentioned (paraphrasing), if you watch some games he looks like a 1st rounder but other times he looks like a 5th rounder...How dare anyone point out negatives on a selection, especially the Jets..

that other guy "Eisen" is a Jets fan...But he went way overboard on all the Geno, Te'o, Mathieu talk...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He was pointing out why he fell to the 2nd...I guess you missed the part where he mentioned (paraphrasing), if you watch some games he looks like a 1st rounder but other times he looks like a 5th rounder...How dare anyone point out negatives on a selection, especially the Jets..

that other guy "Eisen" is a Jets fan...But he went way overboard on all the Geno, Te'o, Mathieu talk...
    Somebody else drafts Geno other than the Jets on the second day and they show highlights, not lowlights.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock had been talking about for months how Geno is inconsistent. Sometimes he looks like a can't miss franchise QB and other times he makes you pull your hair out. That has pretty much been his opinion throughout. I watched all the coverage and did not notice anything wrong. He also gave great opinions on Sanchez and how he is tired of hearing about his feelings and what he might be thinking. Mayock basically went on to compliment Idzik for treating his QB how he would treat any other position and not like a "sacred cow".

Eisen is a Jets fan. He let his emotions show a little.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Eisen is a Jets fan. He let his emotions show a little.
    A little...? LOL....

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know, IMHO it was the black eye on the NFL network crew for the draft weekend. Everything was positive but this.

Well at least over at the 4 letter, Trent Dilfer was complimentary on Geno. He said he has "sudden eyes" and a "sudden arm" which allows you to react in tight spaces while being pressured, something you must have in the nfl.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock is a very good talent evaluator, but He occasionally suffers from the same disease that Francesa has had for years....He thinks he is bigger than the moment. Simple as that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Mayock is a very good talent evaluator, but he ALL OF A SUDDEN suffers from the same disease that Francesa has had for years....He thinks he is bigger than the moment. Simple as that.
    True, but altered a little.
    It's as if the 'Hey, I am a star!' light went off in his head this week.
    I hope he reviews his own tape and sees it and reverts back to his sensible, levelheaded ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also saw exactly what you said. Eisen and Mayock were two faced liars as far as I am concerned. Mayock stated just prior to the Jets taking GENO that he was a great value for some team! Then we took him and he started dumping on Geno and said he could not understand the pick. The other fool acted like a SUCKCHEZ supporter alarmed that he will be released etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

I saw and heard those comments too. But did you see the about face MAYOCK did at the moment GENO was drafted by us? He went from just saying what a great value Geno would be to I do not understand this pick! That is what this op is complaining about. IMO it was totally uncalled for and the guy came across as a two faced bs artist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    someone should splice the footage and put in on youtube if it was that bad

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody else drafts Geno other than the Jets on the second day and they show highlights, not lowlights.....
    Damn right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mel Kiper and ESPN schooled Maycock and Eisen this weekend, I'm saying this and I hate ESPN.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I saw and heard those comments too. But did you see the about face MAYOCK did at the moment GENO was drafted by us? He went from just saying what a great value Geno would be to I do not understand this pick! That is what this op is complaining about. IMO it was totally uncalled for and the guy came across as a two faced bs artist.
    Thank you Kentucky, it made Mayock look like a two faced Jet hater! At least that's the way I saw it. F*** him!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was out to dinner with my girlfriend when we drafted geno. Needless to say I was glued to the TV where we were and when we drafted geno she said "wow they really hate the jets, the other picks all get highlights and the jets pick got lowlights!"

Media uses the jets as a punchline because of all the stupid moves by Tanny, they don't care that we have a new gm that's respected in NFL circles.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    They were talking up Milliner for days....Jets pick Milliner, they show him dropping interceptions

It's so f-ing old

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it Mayock had Smith at #6 in his final mock

But at 39 he was an inaccurate bum

He did the same thing with Milliner...top 3 pick on everyone's board. ..what do Eisen and the three stooges show..clips of him dropping balls at the combine.

Embarrassing performanceby NFLN

drove me back to the sports leader too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I also saw exactly what you said. Eisen and Mayock were two faced liars as far as I am concerned. Mayock stated just prior to the Jets taking GENO that he was a great value for some team! Then we took him and he started dumping on Geno and said he could not understand the pick. The other fool acted like a SUCKCHEZ supporter alarmed that he will be released etc.
    These guys simply do not watch the jets it seems, like a lot of the national media, they spout what they are fed from other sources. Eisen immediatley brought up the two afc title games and that mark had a few problems the last few years.

Every single person on these forums and any other jets fan that watches the team with the exception of perhaps sar knew that sanchez was done here.