Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Jason Collins says he's gay

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

NBA Jason Collins says he's gay

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...-active-player

NBA center Jason Collins on Monday announced that he's gay in a story for Sports Illustrated, becoming the first active player in a major American team sport to announce that he is gay.

"I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation," Collins wrote. "I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

NBA commissioner David Stern commended Collins for his announcement.

"As Adam Silver and I said to Jason, we have known the Collins family since Jason and Jarron joined the NBA in 2001 and they have been exemplary members of the NBA family. Jason has been a widely respected player and teammate throughout his career and we are proud he has assumed the leadership mantle on this very important issue," Stern said in a statement.

Jason's twin brother, Jarron Collins, played for 10 seasons in the NBA, last with the Portland Trail Blazers in 2010-11.

The reaction of other active players has always been a question when it comes to an athlete in a major sport coming out. Other players don't get any bigger than Kobe Bryant, who tweeted his support Monday.

"Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"

Former President Bill Clinton, whose daughter Chelsea attended Stanford with Collins, applauded Collins' announcement.

"Jason's announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] community," he said in a statement. "It is also the straightforward statement of a good man who wants no more than what so many of us seek: to be able to be who we are; to do our work; to build families and to contribute to our communities.

"For so many members of the LGBT community, these simple goals remain elusive. I hope that everyone, particularly Jason's colleagues in the NBA, the media and his many fans extend to him their support and the respect he has earned."

The 34-year-old Collins, who is a free agent, ended last season with the Washington Wizards after being traded by the Boston Celtics.

"Now I'm a free agent, literally and figuratively. I've reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball," he wrote. "I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful."

Collins has an endorsement deal with Nike, who issued a succinct statement of support.

"Jason is a Nike athlete. We are a company committed to diversity and inclusion," it read.

Collins wrote that he first considered coming out during the 2011 NBA lockout, which interrupted his routine and "forced me to confront who I really am and what I really want."

He said the first relative he told he was gay was his aunt Teri, who is a superior court judge in San Francisco. He said she told him, "I've known you were gay for years," which made him "comfortable in my own skin."

Collins said he realized he needed to make his sexual orientation public when his former roommate at Stanford, Massachusetts congressman Joe Kennedy, who is straight, marched in Boston's Gay Pride Parade last year.

The Boston Marathon bombings earlier this month then reinforced to him "that I shouldn't wait for the circumstances of my coming out to be perfect. Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?

"When I told Joe a few weeks ago that I was gay, he was grateful that I trusted him. He asked me to join him in 2013. We'll be marching on June 8," Collins wrote.

Collins said that he told his brother during a breakfast meeting last summer.

"He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy," Collins wrote. "But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me."

In 713 career games with the New Jersey Nets, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks, Celtics and Wizards, Collins has averaged 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds.

Collins' statement is quickly showing signs of resonating.

He picked up more followers on Twitter in the hour after his story than in his previous 430 days on the social networking site, going from 3,700 to over 9,000. A short time later @jasoncollins34 was over 13,000 followers.

Good for him to have the courage to come out. But except for providing inspiration to Timmy, talk about a non story.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Good for him to have the courage to come out. But talk about a non story.
    +1

Personally, I couldn't care less. That's how it should be, IMO. Live and let live.

Agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that this is a non-story, but I can't help but wonder where this leaves Jarron. Is he going to come out himself, go on an "I'm the straight twin" campaign, or remain silent?

Jets Insider VIP
    He will always be remembered as the guy that wasn't good enough to help the Nets win a championship.

Good for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He will always be remembered as the guy that wasn't good enough to help the Nets win a championship.

Good for him though.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that this is a non-story, but I can't help but wonder where this leaves Jarron. Is he going to come out himself, go on an "I'm the straight twin" campaign, or remain silent?
    lol, Jarron will come out with the following statement:

"I fully support my brother Jason. However, I just want to make it clear that, contrary to appearances, we are NOT identical twins."

Jets Insider VIP
    I thought there was supposed to be a boatload of NFL players doing this?

Anyway, it shows how far we've come as a society, from a hundred years ago when a female showing an ankle or knee would be considered shocking.

I have no idea who that is and I don't care. Progress?

Hall Of Fame
    Congratulation Tom Brady - it took a lot of courage to...

wait, whuht?

never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I have no idea who that is and I don't care. Progress?
    If an enyclopediac knowledge of NBA 12th men is the societal goal, then I guess we are not making much progress.

All League
    Congrats Jason. Brave man. And apparently his twin Jarron is very straight, according to Jason's account in SI.

As an aside, he wrote to Shaq: "my flopping wasn't because I'm gay."

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    If an enyclopediac knowledge of NBA 12th men is the societal goal, then I guess we are not making much progress.
    We'll never get there with Obama running things...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I've got nothing about Jason Collins, but had a quick interaction with Jarron.

I was once playing poker at a NYC poker room and behind me was a guy sitting alone at a table with just a dealer. It became evident from evesdropping that the guy was getting a poker 101 lesson. When I caught glimpses, I saw that it was a young black guy who seemed pretty tall, but as he was sitting down, couldn't really appreciate how tall he was.

Eventually he got up for a minute and this real loud mouth old guy named Alphonse who would always be at the Club (you'd see him periodically on TV at AC tourneys) looked at him and said "Hey you. You're really tall. Ya know what? You should play some basketball!" The guy next to him responded "Uh Alphonse, he does. That's Jarron Collins. He plays for the Utah Jazz." Alphonse shrugged and said "See? I was right." And went back to his hand.

Collins was basically trying to get into the constantly ongoing games these guys play on the road and was doing some quick learning.

Collins said that he told his brother during a breakfast meeting last summer.

"He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy," Collins wrote. "But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me."
    SOunds like that day from breakfast to dinner was fairly awkward for the Collins boys.

All League
    I wonder when Tebow will come out. I'm totally serious too.

Hall Of Fame
    Who gives a sh*t? And we use words like brave and hero too loosely.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Congratulation Tom Brady - it took a lot of courage to...

wait, whuht?

never mind

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Mods please merge with the Mianus Gets Pounded thread.

Too soon?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Who gives a sh*t? And we use words like brave and hero too loosely.
    Give me a break. This guy is brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Anyway, it shows how far we've come as a society, from a hundred years ago when a female showing an ankle or knee would be considered shocking.
    Not really. Homosexuality and a more open, liberal and/or non-monogamous sexuality was widely accepted in many pre-Christian civilizations, from ancient Greece and Rome, to Nordic and Pictish cultures.

Hypersensitivity to these issues is a distictly "modern" ethic of only the past few hundred years, and only in relgious-dominated civilizations.

With that said, this story is a now a days and is, basicly, a risk-free play at being the "Gay #42" of Basketball.