Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winners & Losers of the 2013 NFL Draft JETS #2

I didn't list everything I was thinking...

I was actually thinking we'll get 5 starters or contributing players in this draft. Just because everyone has been responding to my post:

1)Milliner - no doubt he starts after Revis's departure.

2)Richardson - I see no other, more attractive options for the DL. As a result, he'll start.

3)Smith - He's the most talented QB on the roster, which isn't saying much but it is still true. He's already been informed by MM that the starting QB job is his to lose.

4)Winters - I don't think he'll start the first game, but with the injury history of our current starters, he'll likely become a starter before the season ends.

5)Ivory - Don't know if he'll start. That will be determined in training camp. He could easily lose out to Mike Goodson or Bilal Powell. But just the same, he'll be a contributing player this season.

I can't see Aboushi/Campbell/Bohannon able to overcome what is currently on the team. Campbell is a developmental player IMO. A guy that they'll make into an OL. But that's going to take some time. He won't make the team this season IMO.

When it comes to Aboushi, I just think there are better, more talented options on the team right now. We'll see if he actually has any real contributions for the team this season. I doubt it, but he'll definitely make the team and with the likelihood of injuries occurring with one or more OL, they may need to get him involved much sooner than planned.

Hilliard > Bohannon. I thought Hilliard was a nice player for us. I also cannot see the Jets carrying two FB's on the roster. Bohannon will likely be delegated to the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Fox Sports actually got it right:

http://msn.foxsports.com/topics/devi...ets-grade.htm#

Jets ranked 8th overall in defense 2nd in pass defense. Ranked 30th in offense but stilll remain without dominant offense skill players.

The fish rots from the top but you can't cut the owner.
    Well that's just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Hilliard > Bohannon. I thought Hilliard was a nice player for us. I also cannot see the Jets carrying two FB's on the roster. Bohannon will likely be delegated to the practice squad.

I've seen many "Lex Hilliard sucks" posts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Fox Sports actually got it right:

http://msn.foxsports.com/topics/devi...ets-grade.htm#

Jets ranked 8th overall in defense 2nd in pass defense. Ranked 30th in offense but stilll remain without dominant offense skill players.

The fish rots from the top but you can't cut the owner.
    Wow. I know this sounds like homer-ism, but I don't think these guys get it at all. "The last thing the Jets need right now is another quarterback controversy." Well, no s***. But not drafting a QB means there won't be any more quarterback controversies?? What kind of dumb-ass logic is that? "Ok, we have very serious QB issues, but we're not gonna take the #1 QB prospect in the draft because we don't want any more quarterback controversies." Yes, there are questions surrounding Geno Smith - there are questions surrounding any draft pick ... this doesn't mean you don't take a shot with your second-round pick on the guy most people think is/was the best QB prospect in the draft! And please stop with the whole, "now you can't take a top-notch QB prospect next year because you took Smith this year" stupidity. Why the hell not? Why can't the Jets take another QB next draft simply because they took Smith this year? Again, short-bus ridin' logic firmly in place. If it looks like Smith won't work out -- for whatever reason -- the Jets can take another QB next season no problem.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I hope not. Look what happened to Sanchez. What's the rush?
    Sanchez had only 1 season as a starter. By the AFCCG he had more pro experience than college. Geno started for 3 full seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Overall, a solid, no-nonsense draft. We will understand better the tone and intention of this management when we see how they resolve/don't resolve the Sanchez mess. Only then can this team really move on.
    I'd like to see Geno earn the job in TC before it's handed to him. Otherwise Jets will make the same mistake with him that they did with Sanchez, hand him the job and let him get complacent. That was a bad move by the FO and also the fact that two incompetent OC's ran the show unchecked for too long, and also not surrounding Sanchez with adequate talent, Tebow distracttion etc. That's the context one must keep in mind.
    Idzik's pattern since taking over as GM tells us he is very judicious and disciplined in his choices. This bodes very well for the Jets.
    Let the best men in TC win!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I'd like to see Geno earn the job in TC before it's handed to him. Otherwise Jets will make the same mistake with him that they did with Sanchez, hand him the job and let him get complacent. That was a bad move by the FO and also the fact that two incompetent OC's ran the show unchecked for too long, and also not surrounding Sanchez with adequate talent, Tebow distracttion etc. That's the context one must keep in mind.
    Idzik's pattern since taking over as GM tells us he is very judicious and disciplined in his choices. This bodes very well for the Jets.
    Let the best men in TC win!
    Agree 100%. No entitlement - only way to play is to earn the job. This can apply every week of the season if needed, not just in training camp. Fight to earn the job, then fight to keep it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I've seen many "Lex Hilliard sucks" posts, though.
    the difference this year is that Marty is installing a WCO which requires a FB/H-Back who can block and, more importantly, can CATCH

Lex can block

IF Bo can do BOTH, he is preferable at that position

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the difference this year is that Marty is installing a WCO which requires a FB/H-Back who can block and, more importantly, can CATCH

Lex can block

IF Bo can do BOTH, he is preferable at that position
    I would have preferred to see the Jets draft a skill position player with the 7th rounder (and the 6th for that matter) so hopefully you're right and Bohannon becomes an instant contributor. If he was worth drafting, he should wipe the floor with Hilliard during TC.

Jets Insider VIP
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--20...233525109.html

uh oh

Jason Cole of Yahoo sports is probably going to be blacklisted from the NFL writers and Belichick a$$kissers union for daring to write this article

LOSERS

New England Patriots – Yeah, yeah, Bill Belichick is the smartest coach who has ever lived and I am nothing but a bumbling sports writer who should bow to his greatness. … Got any other good ones, Pats fans? Look, I'm one of Belichick's biggest fans in the media and one of the few who has defended many of his moves. At the same time, I'm perplexed by some of the things he does in the draft. From drafting too many guys to moving out of the draft at key moments, Belichick oftentimes is a guy who is too smart for his own good. The Pats traded out of the No. 29 spot even though safety Matt Elam was there and Elam fits the profile (hence, Baltimore took him three spots later). The Pats, who are entering the winter of Tom Brady's glorious career, need guys who can help NOW, not in three years. Sure, the Pats picked up a couple smart-guy receivers in second-rounder Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce, but they would have gotten Dobson anyway and could have easily gotten Boyce with a lesser trade later. In other words, they bypassed Elam for no great reason.

All League
    anyone see john clayton's 2013 draft winners and losers? he had us as the number 1 loser but his story started like this

"This has nothing to do with the draft. John Idzik's first draft was solid. You can't go wrong taking cornerback Dee Milliner, defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and quarterback Geno Smith. That's as solid as it gets."

then conitnues to talk about how we ****ed up with sanchez. Clayton is an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    anyone see john clayton's 2013 draft winners and losers? he had us as the number 1 loser but his story started like this

"This has nothing to do with the draft. John Idzik's first draft was solid. You can't go wrong taking cornerback Dee Milliner, defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson and quarterback Geno Smith. That's as solid as it gets."

then conitnues to talk about how we ****ed up with sanchez. Clayton is an idiot
    The media says that every team needs a franchise QB. The media says that Sanchez is a butt-fumbling QB. The media then bashes the Jets when they secure, arguably, the best QB in the draft, with our THIRD pick in the draft and without wasting a 1st round pick.