Thread: April 28 - What are our biggest priorities

April 28 - What are our biggest priorities

Ok, so the draft is done...what do we need to make us competitive at this point? Not looking to start a qb controversy or anything but what is needed to shore up this roster?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

my biggest priorityis booking airfare & hotels to the road games before airlines raise the prices.I got NasvilleRT non-stop for $250 -$125 each way not bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Edge pass rush. TE. Safety.

All Pro
    Blocking TE, Free safety. WR if Holmes can't play. Franchise QB if Geno can't play. Other than that cross your fingers. We have a lot of players that could potentially be very good, or could be injured/not work out. We seem to have multiple low risk/high potential players at most positions, so here to hoping some of them work out. Going to be an interesting year anyway. We could surprise a lot of people...or not.

All League
    We need to get a forklift and sort out our warehouse of QBs one pallet at a time.

All Pro
    Yes we could use an edge rusher, but I left it out because they're not just hanging around out there so not a priority. We have to go with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Edge pass rush.

That's been a priority since we traded John Abraham in 2005. And somehow we continue to ignore it, year after year. It's comical at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yes we could use an edge rusher, but I left it out because they're not just hanging around out there so not a priority.

I'm sorry, what does that mean?

Jets Insider VIP
    Dump Sanchez in a cost effective manner. Then understand that RICKY SAPP and Barnes will be very good OLB players for us ( when healthy) Our TE situation could be solved with the guy we signed from BC.

But we also must understand that our passrush is going to be coming from inside BECAUSE that is what hurts BRADY the most! It disrupts his timing! Our DEs can mop the floor with him then!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Dump Sanchez in a cost effective manner. Then understand that RICKY SAPP and Barnes will be very good OLB players for us ( when healthy) Our TE situation could be solved with the guy we signed from BC.
    are you serious about SAPP ???????? cmon man ...

Veteran
    HC

Need to grab 1 WR and 1 TE. Can't imagine we go edge rusher at this point and I think Rex has a plan for Antwan Barnes. Our front 7 looks to be Wilkerson,Ellis,Richardson,Coples,Davis,Harris,Bar nes and I see Barnes as more of a rusher whereas Davis and Harris are more likely to drop in coverage.

Only position of weakness on defense I see is at FS. Right now we have Jaiquawn Jarrett and Josh Bush and I'm not sure what to expect from that.

Safety, OLB, and TE are still huge holes, and we can use another WR. These were our biggest needs besides OG going in to the draft.

Safety is the scariest for me as we only have 3 players and major question marks with the young guys. We play a high percentage of nickel defense with 3 safeties and depth is a big concern.

I'm concerned our pass rush will not improve at the LB position. We still have not drafted an OLB in the Rex era. Pace and Mcintyre are slow and who knows if Sapp can make an impact.

Hopefully our run defense will be a bit better with Garay and Richardson. Pouha's injury hurt us there and Pace/Thomas/Scott were slow. Devito was a big loss.

On the other hand I feel our offense will be better with the RBs and OL we now have. Adding a passing element to the position should make us much better. Goodson adds a passing threat and Ivory is tough to bring down. An improved OL should help us move the chains.

We still need WR too. If Holmes doesn't come back 100% and Hill doesn't take that next step we really have no depth at playmaker.

1 cutting Sanchez
    2 Finding a Blocking TE Is it Chris Pantale? Id be OK if it is.
    3 3-4 4-3 43? Put the D in place.
    4 Evauating out #4 and 5 WRs UDRFA WR Ryan Spadola, K.J. Stroud, Antavius Wilson, Zach Rogers, White, Gates, Pollard, White, Ryan
    5 Figure out the OL. We brought in like 7 guys last night. How do any of them fit in?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Are our current OLBs Barnes, Pace, McIntyre, Demario Davis (in 4-3), and Sapp?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Ok, so the draft is done...what do we need to make us competitive at this point? Not looking to start a qb controversy or anything but what is needed to shore up this roster?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Theoretically, we have a team that can compete;however, next year we will have a ton of draft picks and a bunch of rookies with a year behind their belt.

A lot depends on how fast the rookies learn and the coach develop our players. The WCO will be the lastest system in place. I expect 2014 to be our year. This year we will compete.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Are our current OLBs Barnes, Pace, McIntyre, Demario Davis (in 4-3), and Sapp?
    If we stay 3-4 Coples, Barnes, and Pace will likely be our OLBs. If we go 4-3 Davis, Barnes, and Nick Bellore. I accually wouldnt be shocked if we used Cro at OLB on passing plays in a 4-3 either.

I'd imagine Coples will play the part of edge rusher in some fronts now that we have Richardson to play inside, but even so it's still a need. Hopefully Barnes is a productive addition, if things go well our ability to pressure the QB should be much improved. I wouldn't call it our biggest need anymore which is was when season ended (after QB)

WR is currently a mess. We're relying on Holmes to come back and be productive as a n.1 which just doesn't seem likely to me. Hill might very well develop nicely but until we see it he's another question mark. And Kerley is okay but nothing special. It's not a good situation but there's not much we can do short of signing some so-so veteran help as a stop-gap. This has to be a huge priority next offseason and thankfully we will probably have enough picks and cap space to properly address it.

TE is likewise a major need. Cumberland is a nice player but he's not really a starter. After him we have some UDFA's and players like Reuland, they're not exactly going to intimidate anyone. Hopefully some of these guys step up but the reality is we'll probably need to address this with outside help as well

After that last big need is safety, which seems to be another yearly struggle with the Jets. We at least have warm bodies out there which is about the best you can say about it. The secondary is in better shape with Milliner but our liability to fast TE's and slot guys will probably continue to haunt us

All told these are some pretty major deficiencies that will probably keep us from being a good football team. Def a work in progress but we took a good first step back towards being legit this draft. Of course we'll have to sort out our QB situation but that is no longer a "need" in terms of talent, Geno is the eventual starter...2 of the other 5 will be released, maybe 3