Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith = Mark Sanchez (per Mayock)

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I think you're right. Mayock has a pretty poor record on QB's. Not to mention that he had Sanchez as the best QB on his board when he was drafted... over Stafford and Freeman. Freeman, maybe. Stafford, no.
    Put Stafford on the Jets and Sanchez on the Lions with Megatron and company and would you feel the same.

I know Geno's completion percentage is inflated by short and intermediate passes, but Sanchez is TERRIBLE at throwing short and intermediate range passes. Geno loses accuracy as he goes farther down the field, whereas Sanchez struggles at passes that require touch. It's a completely different weakness.

Luckily for us, Geno's strengths should in theory make him a great fit in a WCO. Plus he's a preparation junkie which Sanchez simply isn't and never will be. Comparing them is a bit ridiculous IMO, they aren't similar. The glaring common factor is fumbles, which is unfortunate, but Geno is much less prone to throwing picks, so there's reason to be optimistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I think you're right. Mayock has a pretty poor record on QB's. Not to mention that he had Sanchez as the best QB on his board when he was drafted... over Stafford and Freeman. Freeman, maybe. Stafford, no.
    Here's Mayocks 2009 mock..( He had Maybin to the Bills right and had Harvin going to the Jets)

. Detroit Lions — Matthew Stafford
    2. St. Louis Rams — Jason Smith
    3. Kansas City Chiefs — Aaron Curry
    4. Seattle Seahawks — Michael Crabtree
    5. Cleveland Browns — B.J. Raji
    6. Cincinnati Bengals — Andre Smith
    7. Oakland Raiders — Darrius Heyward-Bey
    8. Washington Redskins (trade with Jaguars) — Mark Sanchez
    9. Green Bay Packers — Eugene Monroe
    10. San Francisco 49ers — Michael Oher
    11. Buffalo Bills — Aaron Maybin
    12. Denver Broncos — Tyson Jackson
    13. Jacksonville Jaguars (trade with Redskins) — Chris “Beanie” Wells
    14. New Orleans Saints — Malcolm Jenkins
    15. Houston Texans — Brian Cushing
    16. San Diego Chargers — Knowshon Moreno
    17. N.Y. Jets — Percy Harvin
    18. Denver Broncos — Brian Orakpo
    19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Vontae Davis
    20. Detroit Lions — Rey Maualuga
    21. Philadelphia Eagles — Jeremy Maclin
    22. Minnesota Vikings — Phil Loadholt
    23. New England Patriots — Darius Butler
    24. Atlanta Falcons — Peria Jerry
    25. Miami Dolphins — Robert Ayers
    26. Baltimore Ravens — Brandon Pettigrew
    27. Indianapolis Colts — James Laurinaitis
    28. Buffalo Bills — Eben Britton
    29. N.Y. Giants — Hakeem Nicks
    30. Tennessee Titans — Evander “Ziggy” Hood
    31. Arizona Cardinals — Larry English
    32. Pittsburgh Steelers — Eric Wood

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Austin wasn't the only West Virginia WR who got drafted, and who got drafted pretty high (Steadman Bailey).

Smith had more weapons than the vast majority of college quarterbacks at WR.

His athleticism, speed, and arm strength are for real. I also don't believe he's a bad kid or a poor leader. I DO believe he's sensitive and can get down easily, which I believe even he has recognized. I agree on the knocks - pocket presence, ball security, and downfield accuracy.
    I brought this up in another thread earlier today. It goes beyond just making short throws, Smith's numbers are a product of the system he played in. He didnt have to make pre snap reads of the defense, it was done for him by the coaching staff, and most of the plays were designed to have only one read. Holgorsen's offense was not a complex offense for the players to learn. It relied on the tempo and creating mis-matches for their play makers, which WVU had plenty of. He is going to have a big adjustment in the NFL reading the pre snap defense, and then reading what they do post snap. That is something that he didnt have to do a lot of in college.

Veteran
    Mark and leadership???? HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOO??????!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I brought this up in another thread earlier today. It goes beyond just making short throws, Smith's numbers are a product of the system he played in. He didnt have to make pre snap reads of the defense, it was done for him by the coaching staff, and most of the plays were designed to have only one read. Holgorsen's offense was not a complex offense for the players to learn. It relied on the tempo and creating mis-matches for their play makers, which WVU had plenty of. He is going to have a big adjustment in the NFL reading the pre snap defense, and then reading what they do post snap. That is something that he didnt have to do a lot of in college.
    and you obviously feel that our OC and GM are dumb and are not aware of his strengths and weaknesses. Or if they are aware of it, they just disregarded everything just to draft a guy named GENO. By the way I have a bridge for sale.

You seem to have an agenda and its opposed to Geno. Why not come right out and say it? I have no problem saying that I am opposed to Suckchez after the past two years of Sucky ball. However in both cases, all I really care about is the Jets winning. Makes no difference to me which QB wins a SB for us. If Sucky can turn it around I'd be just as happy as if Geno takes us to the promised land.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and you obviously feel that our OC and GM are dumb and are not aware of his strengths and weaknesses. Or if they are aware of it, they just disregarded everything just to draft a guy named GENO. By the way I have a bridge for sale.

You seem to have an agenda and its opposed to Geno. Why not come right out and say it? I have no problem saying that I am opposed to Suckchez after the past two years of Sucky ball. However in both cases, all I really care about is the Jets winning. Makes no difference to me which QB wins a SB for us. If Sucky can turn it around I'd be just as happy as if Geno takes us to the promised land.
    You have got to be one of the worst posters around here. So by me pointing out that Smith's numbers are bolstered by the system he played in, that I am now opposed to him??? I am not making any declarations on him either positive or negative, before the guy even puts on a uniform and we see him actually throw the ball. If your feelings are somehow hurt because of the fact that Smith played in an offense in college that was QB friendly and helped produce those gaudy numbers, then I am sorry. Those are just the facts.

Look at these QBs numbers under Holgorsen:

2007 Graham Harrell 512 for 713 5705 yards 71.8% 48 TDs 14 INTS
    2009 Case Keenum 492 for 700 5671 yards 70.3% 44 TDS 15 INTS
    2010 Brandon Weeden 342 for 511 4277 yards 67% 34 TDS 13 INTS
    2012 Geno Smith 368 for 518 4205 yards 71% 42 TDS 6 INTS
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-28-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mith-in-top-20

Geno's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Lack of Leadership Skills
    5. Lack of Work Ethic
    6. Poor timing on throws

Geno's positives:
    1. Athletic
    2. Can make all the throws

Mark's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Poor timing on throws

Mark's positives:
    1. Good Leadership

2. Good Work Ethic
    3. Can make all the throws

I'm all for giving Geno a shot, but I think he needs to earn it first - preferably, sit on the bench for a year behind Mark. I definitely think cutting Mark would be a mistake. We'll end up ruining Geno's career, same as Mark, if we just hand him the starting job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dear Mayschmuck

You had Cleveland selecting Geno Smith at pick number 6.

So how can he NOW not be in your exalted top 20.

Oh and BTW I'm done watching you and that halfwit Eisen any more on the NFL Network

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Mayock is having a meltdown.
    This.

I went from being a big supporter of his unbiased, typically on-point work - to laugh at his blatant axe-grinding pettiness.

He usually lets data and tangible realities steer his point of view, the minute Geno became a Jet he threw that all out the window. It's as though he's uncomfortably following-through on directions he was given to basically say whatever he had to say to be negative about what the Jets do.

Media has figured out that Jets-bashing = ratings. Other fans love hearing it, and Jets fans can't tune it out. (See: The Francessa School of Getting Rich by Trolling Jet Fans)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    This.

I went from being a big supporter of his unbiased, typically on-point work - to laugh at his blatant axe-grinding pettiness.

He usually lets data and tangible realities steer his point of view, the minute Geno became a Jet he threw that all out the window. It's as though he's uncomfortably following-through on directions he was given to basically say whatever he had to say to be negative about what the Jets do.

Media has figured out that Jets-bashing = ratings. Other fans love hearing it, and Jets fans can't tune it out. (See: The Francessa School of Getting Rich by Trolling Jet Fans)
    Clearly the network is expanding his role from straight analysis and fact delivery to color commentator and it is an extremely poor fit for Mayock. They should let him do what he's good at.

Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mith-in-top-20

Geno's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Lack of Leadership Skills
    5. Lack of Work Ethic
    6. Poor timing on throws

Geno's positives:
    1. Athletic
    2. Can make all the throws

Mark's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Poor timing on throws

Mark's positives:
    1. Good Leadership
    2. Good Work Ethic
    3. Can make all the throws

I'm all for giving Geno a shot, but I think he needs to earn it first - preferably, sit on the bench for a year behind Mark. I definitely think cutting Mark would be a mistake. We'll end up ruining Geno's career, same as Mark, if we just hand him the starting job.
    Yeah, and this video and that analysis refer to, and stem from a scout report from Nolan Nawrocki. The same same Nolan Nawrocki who wrote a similar scathing report about Cam Newton that got so personal that many people began to believe he was a closet racist (for the record I just think he's just an idiot and an ass who says things to drive up traffic). It wasn't long after THIS tirade on Smith that many other scouts as well as former coaches came to his defense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7062--nfl.html

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/nolan-...ki-geno-smith/

Ill tell you what, if Geno ends up just like Cam, we are going to be set at QB for a very long time. By all accounts he is a very competitive, hard working QB with tremendous upside who Andy Reid has compared to a very young Donovan McNabb. While time will ultimately tell, I really think we might have gotten the right guy this time.

That means nothing since 75% of Brady's completions are under 5 yards. Completions are completions, and Sanchez can't consistently complete screens or slants anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    I respect Mayock, but he never liked black QBs. He had Cam Newton ranked 3rd out of Qbs in his draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Agreed. One of the reasons I'm trying to be optimistic about Geno (even though I didn't want him) is that I think Morninweg is great at developing QBs and Geno fits his system perfectly.
    And which QBs would these be that he "developed"?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Austin wasn't the only West Virginia WR who got drafted, and who got drafted pretty high (Steadman Bailey).

Smith had more weapons than the vast majority of college quarterbacks at WR.

His athleticism, speed, and arm strength are for real. I also don't believe he's a bad kid or a poor leader. I DO believe he's sensitive and can get down easily, which I believe even he has recognized. I agree on the knocks - pocket presence, ball security, and downfield accuracy.
    Steadman was a beast last year. Runs great routes and has great hands. But he is not the fasted WR out there and on several of TDs the ball was placed perfectly because he is usually covered. The guy had 25 TDs last year and would be an elite WR is he was faster.

On your knocks on Geno, everything you said is valid. Just thinking that Marty and David Lee will be able to shield him from all the negativity the NY media will throw at him.

Marty loves him. I'm on board.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Didn't Geno have like a 70% completion % in college? How is he inaccurate?
    mostly screens to tavon austin

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    "Kellen Clemens is the Tom Brady of the 2006 NFL draft"-Ron Jaworski.
    YEAH AND JAWS LOVES GENO!!! OHHH BOY!!!!

All League
    Here is an easier way of looking at them:

Geno Smith = 0 buttfumbles

Mark Sanches = 1 buttfumble

Im going to go ahead and take Geno, thanks.

Who cares what Mike Mayock thinks? Dude didn't even play QB. His projections are constantly wrong about guys that come into the league. He's basically irrelevant