Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith = Mark Sanchez (per Mayock)

The guy who wrote that is a racist IMO.

Geno Smith is different than Sanchez... I get the feeling Geno is more of a football guy, he seems to know things about football..

A WVU fan told me that Geno didn't run in college because he was set on showing NFL teams that he can be a pocket passer and throw the football. He has 4.5 speed, he should run more as it can be a weapon and cause more frustrations for defenses...

Geno has a real quick release and seems like he fits in the WCO. Marty Mornhinweg is a really good OC and QB guy, he'll do a better job coaching than our previous guys.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    mostly screens to tavon austin
    If Geno can complete a screen pass then he is already better than Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Here is an easier way of looking at them:

Geno Smith = 0 buttfumbles

Mark Sanches = 1 buttfumble

Im going to go ahead and take Geno, thanks.
    LOL! Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    And which QBs would these be that he "developed"?
    Most notably Brett Favre for 2 years early in his career and Jeff Garcia in his rookie and sophomore seasons. He also had Steve Young later in Young's career in SFO. I'll take that resume.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    This.
    It's as though he's uncomfortably following-through on directions he was given to basically say whatever he had to say to be negative about what the Jets do.
    It seemed that way. Or he was just being a spiteful little b-itch. Maybe both.

Media has figured out that Jets-bashing = ratings. Other fans love hearing it, and Jets fans can't tune it out. (See: The Francessa School of Getting Rich by Trolling Jet Fans)
    LOL. We are his bread and butter.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    I used to like Mayock before this huge 2-faced rant, not anymore.

First of all, how in the hell can he mock Geno Smith into his 1st Rd. Top 10 and then criticize a team, could be any team, for picking him as he falls into their laps (no trade up)?

2nd of all...and let me refute ALL of these Attributes he gives Sanchez

Mark's positives:

1. Good Leadership - Really??? Sulking constantly, never see him fired up, never gives off the body language "Let's go Offense, everybody get on my back I'm taking you all in for 6 points..NO MATTER WHAT"..I've never seen that once in 4 years.

2. Good Work Ethic - Very debatable, I've heard that 1st in the facility, last out so many times. I'm not saying it's false, but if true, I'd like to know the reason for the just unfathomable amount of mental errors this guy has made in his 4 year career.

3. Can make all the throws - Now this is coming from Darren Sharper (who took the Sanchize 90+ yards to the house in New Orleans) as a commentator on NFL Net, right after someone parroted that standard Sanchez "can make all the throws", grinning from ear to ear and shaking his head Sharper said it twice, "He CAN'T make all the throws, he CAN'T make all the throws"...and I tend to agree. Also you know in the meetings Sharper was in as a player they had to have said things like,"Sit on this route he can't make that throw past the numbers"...just saying.

Ah, this is getting me sick, I was thinking that they should just let his contract wind down and have him sit as 3rd string, now I just want them to eat the contract and have him go off somewhere...it won't be in the NFL is my guess.

Sánchez was a much better prospect coming out of college. Geno is the best qb prospect of this class, but its the worst qb class in 20 years. Don't act like geno is a legit elite qb prospect, he's not.

Clemens and Smith are along the same kind of prospect coming out. Showed glimpses of being good, but not really any high end upside. Geno is a stopgap qb nothing more.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I think you're right. Mayock has a pretty poor record on QB's. Not to mention that he had Sanchez as the best QB on his board when he was drafted... over Stafford and Freeman. Freeman, maybe. Stafford, no.
    Would love to have a show on NFL Network about what the draft pundits thought of the QBs and how they actually turned out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I think like 60% of his completions are for 5 yards or fewer, or something crazy like that. A lot of his numbers came on screens, swings, and dumpoffs to studs like Austin and Bailey.
    Did you ever see a worse QB than Sanchez at screens. That is a major part of the WCO.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think like 60% of his completions are for 5 yards or fewer, or something crazy like that. A lot of his numbers came on screens, swings, and dumpoffs to studs like Austin and Bailey.
    It'll be a revelation to have a QB that can throw a screen, swing, or dump-off. Sanchez can't make those throws for whatever reason.

Veteran
    What was the name of that wr he threw to? I imagine he stinks too, he must have had a lot of 5 yard completions to pad his stats and go in the firt round

Waterboy
    Dude, dink and dunks are the staple of the west coast offense. Short passes, screens and the run game get the defense to cheat up and open up for the big play. If Geno can throw the short stuff he'll be a great WCO QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Leginius View Post
    Dude, dink and dunks are the staple of the west coast offense. Short passes, screens and the run game get the defense to cheat up and open up for the big play. If Geno can throw the short stuff he'll be a great WCO QB.
    Agreed.

It would be very stupid to ask him to go out there year one and lead a deep aerial attack. He certainly has the arm strength to do that, but lets see if he can crawl before handing over the keys to a high octane offense.

With MM, the gameplan will be tailored to the personnel. I trust him to handle Smith properly.

The difference between Smith and most college QBs who put up great numbers in a spread offense is that he actually has a strong arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Sánchez was a much better prospect coming out of college. Geno is the best qb prospect of this class, but its the worst qb class in 20 years. Don't act like geno is a legit elite qb prospect, he's not.

Clemens and Smith are along the same kind of prospect coming out. Showed glimpses of being good, but not really any high end upside. Geno is a stopgap qb nothing more.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Look the fact that you put that little thing above the "a" in Sanchez' name tells me all I need to know about what kind of fan you are haha.

Sanchez wasn't a better prospect. He had a very small body of work in college, couldn't even win the starting job until his senior year, the same goes for High School.

I'll quote Joe Namath,"Look, he's a good looking kid, you want the ethnicity, you want a shot that maybe he becomes a big box office attraction, then he's your man....but that fact remains is that he was a Huge reach in the 1st Round", which unfortunately I can't argue with, because I really wanted him to succeed.

You could say that Sanchez draft class was very weak, because after Matt Stafford, what was there?

Geno Smith might be a stop-gap but he might be a lot more, we don't know yet, and to use that cliché,"he can "make all the throws"", well Geno Smith can "make all the throws", and with defenders draped all over his receivers just like they will be in the NFL. Sanchez' guys were always open by 5-10 yards playing that weak Pac-10 Conference, even now after 4 years you almost never see Sanchez hit someone in stride even when wide open....seen enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Did you ever see a worse QB than Sanchez at screens. That is a major part of the WCO.
    Must have spent too much time in the classroom that misses dinks and dunks 40% of the time.

The best players, playing the best, should play.

Whomever that is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed. One of the reasons I'm trying to be optimistic about Geno (even though I didn't want him) is that I think Morninweg is great at developing QBs and Geno fits his system perfectly.
    If the Jets give Geno two years to develop they will have themselves a franchise level QB IMO!!!!

If not then just more of the same nonsense we have seen in the past. All I ask is that they give Geno the same chance they have Pennington.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Saying Geno has lack of work ethic sounds opposite of everything else I've heard/seen from the kid

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez was considered a better QB prospect coming out of college than Geno.

Its difficult to compare in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It'll be a revelation to have a QB that can throw a screen, swing, or dump-off. Sanchez can't make those throws for whatever reason.
    It will be a revelation to finally have an offensive mentality on offense. IF and its its a big IF , our DC allows MM to call the shots on O.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    What was the name of that wr he threw to? I imagine he stinks too, he must have had a lot of 5 yard completions to pad his stats and go in the firt round
    actually Austin and Bailey routinely turned five yard passes into 60 yard runs, improving Smith's stats/
    if he starts he may really miss them. It's weird how they both wound up on the Rams but Geno went to the Jets. Too bad the three of them couldn't have stayed together, they were successful as a unit.