Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith = Mark Sanchez (per Mayock)

Geno Smith = Mark Sanchez (per Mayock)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mith-in-top-20

Geno's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Lack of Leadership Skills
    5. Lack of Work Ethic
    6. Poor timing on throws

Geno's positives:
    1. Athletic
    2. Can make all the throws

Mark's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Poor timing on throws

Mark's positives:
    1. Good Leadership
    2. Good Work Ethic
    3. Can make all the throws

I'm all for giving Geno a shot, but I think he needs to earn it first - preferably, sit on the bench for a year behind Mark. I definitely think cutting Mark would be a mistake. We'll end up ruining Geno's career, same as Mark, if we just hand him the starting job.

Mayock is having a meltdown.

Didn't Geno have like a 70% completion % in college? How is he inaccurate?

Rookie
    The difference this time around is how they develop the young QB. I loved Sanchez when we selected him, as an organization, they have failed to provide him with consistent talent around him, an awful QB coach, and Tony Sporano who should have never been an offensive Coord.

David Lee is a better QB coach and Morniwehg is a much better offensive coordinator.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know why everyone is up in arms over Mayock and other scouts opinions of Geno. All they are trying to do is project what he will be at the next level.

There is a difference between what grade Mayock gives a prospect and where he puts them in his mock draft. Prior to this year QBs were consistently drafted higher than where they graded out. Mayock's last mock reflects that.

I know for a fact that Mayock has been consistent with his praise and criticisms of Geno Smith. I have been watching him break down this draft on NFLN since the combine and he pretty much has always said the same things about Geno and the rest of the QBs in this draft.

The 70% completion does not necessarily mean he will be an accurate passer in the pros. He did not run a pro style offense in college and he did struggle with his accuracy on certain throws.

Good value pick. Likely upgrade over Sanchez. Not a slam dunk by any means.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Didn't Geno have like a 70% completion % in college? How is he inaccurate?
    I think like 60% of his completions are for 5 yards or fewer, or something crazy like that. A lot of his numbers came on screens, swings, and dumpoffs to studs like Austin and Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    The difference this time around is how they develop the young QB. I loved Sanchez when we selected him, as an organization, they have failed to provide him with consistent talent around him, an awful QB coach, and Tony Sporano who should have never been an offensive Coord.

David Lee is a better QB coach and Morniwehg is a much better offensive coordinator.
    Bingo

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post

Agreed. One of the reasons I'm trying to be optimistic about Geno (even though I didn't want him) is that I think Morninweg is great at developing QBs and Geno fits his system perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I think like 60% of his completions are for 5 yards or fewer, or something crazy like that. A lot of his numbers came on screens, swings, and dumpoffs to studs like Austin and Bailey.
    I understand that but alot of qb's stats' are inflated by dink and dunk. Peyton and Brady throw to the flats and screens all the time. Everyone on this board acted like Alex Smith was an elite qb because of his completion % he is Mr Dink n' Dunk.

Didn't Geno have like a 70% completion % in college?
    I'm not a Geno Smith basher - I think he was a good value at #39 - but posters need to stop saying this.

Anyone who watched West Virginia's offense regularly knows that doesn't mean anything. The majority of his throws in that offense don't travel more than 10 yards in the air. There's a ton of screen passes, short drags, and even those plays you saw in the film session with Gruden where he taps the ball forward to his motion guy and gets credit for a pass.

You can't just cite to his completion percentage and blindly accept he's an accurate passer.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I'm not a Geno Smith basher - I think he was a good value at #39 - but posters need to stop saying this.

Anyone who watched West Virginia's offense regularly knows that doesn't mean anything. The majority of his throws in that offense don't travel more than 10 yards in the air. There's a ton of screen passes, short drags, and even those plays you saw in the film session with Gruden where he taps the ball forward to his motion guy and gets credit for a pass.

You can't just cite to his completion percentage and blindly accept he's an accurate passer.
    Like I said every qb's stats are inflated by dink and dunk and its becoming as much of a short pass league as it is downfield passing. See Wes Welker and any TE who plays with Peyton.

All League
    Under Mark's positives, "Can make all the throws"

Has he lost his F'n mind. All this from the moron that mocked Geno to Jax at / and then to Cle at 6.

So we get him at 39 and we allegedly are stupid.

Mayock had an agenda against the Jets on draft night. Showing the negative highlights of bob Milliner and Geno tell me all I need to know.

My guess is that the jets fed some bull**** to the media about loving Mingo and Austin when in retrospect, Milliner was #2 on their draft board. And be ause Mayo k looked like an ass on draft night, he is getting back at the organization.

"Kellen Clemens is the Tom Brady of the 2006 NFL draft"-Ron Jaworski.

Banned
    Why anyone thinks Mike Mayock knows what he's talking about when it comes to QB's is beyond me. Last year he gave Russell Wilson a 68 grade as a QB and said he would be a good backup and change of pace QB. He gave Geno a grade of 88.

This is the same guy who gave Gabbert a higher grade then Newton.

This guy has no credibility when it comes to projecting QB's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post

It worked for Chaddy cakes..

All League
    Like I said every qb's stats are inflated by dink and dunk and its becoming as much of a short pass league as it is downfield passing. See Wes Welker and any TE who plays with Peyton.
    And he also threaded the needle on several throws be ause all his WRs not named Austin had difficulty getting separation.

He throws with velocity and accuracy.

Media guys resent the Jets because their bosses make them cover them more than they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    And he also threaded the needle on several throws be ause all his WRs not named Austin had difficulty getting separation.
    Austin wasn't the only West Virginia WR who got drafted, and who got drafted pretty high (Steadman Bailey).

Smith had more weapons than the vast majority of college quarterbacks at WR.

His athleticism, speed, and arm strength are for real. I also don't believe he's a bad kid or a poor leader. I DO believe he's sensitive and can get down easily, which I believe even he has recognized. I agree on the knocks - pocket presence, ball security, and downfield accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...mith-in-top-20

Geno's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Lack of Leadership Skills
    5. Lack of Work Ethic
    6. Poor timing on throws

Geno's positives:
    1. Athletic
    2. Can make all the throws

Mark's negatives:
    1. Ball Security
    2. Pocket Awareness
    3. Inconsistent Accuracy
    4. Poor timing on throws

Mark's positives:
    1. Good Leadership
    2. Good Work Ethic
    3. Can make all the throws

I'm all for giving Geno a shot, but I think he needs to earn it first - preferably, sit on the bench for a year behind Mark. I definitely think cutting Mark would be a mistake. We'll end up ruining Geno's career, same as Mark, if we just hand him the starting job.
    I used to like Mayock before this huge 2-faced rant, not anymore.

First of all, how in the hell can he mock Geno Smith into his 1st Rd. Top 10 and then criticize a team, could be any team, for picking him as he falls into their laps (no trade up)?

2nd of all...and let me refute ALL of these Attributes he gives Sanchez

Mark's positives:
    1. Good Leadership - Really??? Sulking constantly, never see him fired up, never gives off the body language "Let's go Offense, everybody get on my back I'm taking you all in for 6 points..NO MATTER WHAT"..I've never seen that once in 4 years.
    2. Good Work Ethic - Very debatable, I've heard that 1st in the facility, last out so many times. I'm not saying it's false, but if true, I'd like to know the reason for the just unfathomable amount of mental errors this guy has made in his 4 year career.
    3. Can make all the throws - Now this is coming from Darren Sharper (who took the Sanchize 90+ yards to the house in New Orleans) as a commentator on NFL Net, right after someone parroted that standard Sanchez "can make all the throws", grinning from ear to ear and shaking his head Sharper said it twice, "He CAN'T make all the throws, he CAN'T make all the throws"...and I tend to agree. Also you know in the meetings Sharper was in as a player they had to have said things like,"Sit on this route he can't make that throw past the numbers"...just saying.

Ah, this is getting me sick, I was thinking that they should just let his contract wind down and have him sit as 3rd string, now I just want them to eat the contract and have him go off somewhere...it won't be in the NFL is my guess.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Why anyone thinks Mike Mayock knows what he's talking about when it comes to QB's is beyond me. Last year he gave Russell Wilson a 68 grade as a QB and said he would be a good backup and change of pace QB. He gave Geno a grade of 88.

This is the same guy who gave Gabbert a higher grade then Newton.

This guy has no credibility when it comes to projecting QB's.
    I think you're right. Mayock has a pretty poor record on QB's. Not to mention that he had Sanchez as the best QB on his board when he was drafted... over Stafford and Freeman. Freeman, maybe. Stafford, no.