Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Finally Got Our Edge Rusher

We Finally Got Our Edge Rusher

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3. I expect him to have 12-15 sacks, and be our best pass rusher since the days of Abe.

DE: Wilkerson
    DT: Ellis
    DT: Richardson
    DE: Coples

LB: Barnes
    LB: Harris
    LB: Davis

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer ala a Justin Tuck.
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 04-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Cant wait for Madden 25 now!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3. I expect him to have 12-15 sacks, and be our best pass rusher since the days of Abe.

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer.
    That's a potentially nasty front 7.

Lots of "ifs" but IF Richardson is the real deal at DT, if Davis becomes a solid playmaking OLB in his second year and if Milliner locks down the CB2 spot then....look out! The Jets are coming!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer ala a Justin Tuck.
    You have Pace, Damon Harrison & Garay to rotate in there as well.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I dislike that Harris runs slower than a snail.

But I love the 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    That's a potentially nasty front 7.

Lots of "ifs" but IF Richardson is the real deal at DT, if Davis becomes a solid playmaking OLB in his second year and if Milliner locks down the CB2 spot then....look out! The Jets are coming!
    I feel like we're one maybe two more years away. I like what Idzik's doing in terms of trying to make mega strengths ala the D-Line and Corner play. Still lack a ballhawk at Safety as well as playmakers on offense. I expect us to have a season very similar to Miami, win around 6-7 games. Good defense/run game, surprising rookie QB play.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

But I love the 4-3.

I'll love this roster in 2 years.

I can't wait for Harris and Holmes to be kicked out of NY.

Banned
    Be careful jetworks and ddknowsnothing thiink coples can't be an effective edge rusher...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Be careful jetworks and ddknowsnothing thiink coples can't be an effective edge rusher...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Dude is built to be a 4-3 DE. He really isn't a 3-4 DE. He got 5.5 sacks taking double teams all year. Put him one on one and he'll get you 12 sacks easy. I see a lot of Justin Tuck in his game.

If we go 4-3 I think they cut Ellis. You can get sacks out of Pace and Garrett McIntyre on LE. 6 sacks last year and I think playing up front could only help them. Wilk and Richards at DT combo would be nasty in its self. 10 sacks with our DTs you put them side by side. 10 sacks out of Coples. Add in Barnes and 6-8 sacks from randum guys I will say 40 sacks min out of this team. It could very well be a 50+ sack team. I am more worried about if our LBs can cover then our blitz right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If we go 4-3 I think they cut Ellis. You can get sacks out of Pace and Garrett McIntyre on LE. 6 sacks last year and I think playing up front could only help them. Wilk and Richards at DT combo would be nasty in its self. 10 sacks with our DTs you put them side by side. 10 sacks out of Coples. Add in Barnes and 6-8 sacks from randum guys I will say 40 sacks min out of this team. It could very well be a 50+ sack team. I am more worried about if our LBs can cover then our blitz right now.

You're out of your mind if you think we're cutting a guy whom was a 3rd rounder 2 years ago, and has shown flashes as a serious player. Just has stamina issues, and some inconsistency/injuries. At worst he'll be a 2 down lineman in 3 man line sets.

We wouldn't run a strict 4-3 anyway. It'd be a multiple D with a ton of 3-4 looks as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

But I love the 4-3.
    He had a faster 40 then Vilma coming out of college..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You guys have no clue. In the 4-3 Coples is better suited at DT.

In college he played DT and blew up. He was so good he was projected to be a sure fire top 5 pick. The following year they put him at DE and he fell off the face of the earth. He's not an edge rusher at all. He doesnt have the burst to come of the edge. He was so bad at DE his final year he fell from top 5 to the bottom half of the first round.

If we go to a 4-3 and dont put Coples at DT, we're not getting all we can get out of him. He's a 3-4 END or a 4-3 DT.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 04-28-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He had a faster 40 then Vilma coming out of college..
    And your point? College is years behind him now. He's much bigger and slower and that's all that matters. He cant play MLB in a 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    You guys have no clue. In the 3-4 Coples is better at DT.

In college he played DT and blew up. He was so good he was projected to be a sure fire top 5 pick. The following year they put him at DE and he fell off the face of the earth. He's not an edge rusher at all. He doesnt have the burst to come of the edge. He was so bad at DE his final year he fell from top 5 to the bottom half of the first round.

If we go to a 4-3 and dont put Coples at DT, we're not getting all we can get out of him. He's a 3-4 END or a 4-3 DT.
    I agree that he's a better inside rusher through the A Gaps, but last year he was rushing through the B/C gaps and excelled. He can be moved outside and succeed.

Hawk, Lewis, Loften all play in 3-4's. I'm sure Harris can give it a shot for one year.

Banned
    I remember Rex saying that Coples struggled at DE his senior season b/c they put him on the wrong side of the field to rush the passer. I don't remember which one. And if you have ever played DE you know that rushing the passer from one side to the other is much different. You have a different hand down, a different leg to push off of with your first step. It can really affect everything you do. Rex felt like by putting Coples back on his natural side, opposite of Wilkerson, that he would be much more productive as a rush end. Those little things matter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    And your point? College is years behind him now. He's much bigger and slower and that's all that matters. He cant play MLB in a 4-3.
    So Vilma got slimmer and faster after his surgery?? Some LB'ers can play 3-4 or 4-3 inside I think he can.. BTW he came out the same year as Revis does that mean Revis can't play CB anymore as well..

I'll love this roster in 2 years.

I can't wait for Harris and Holmes to be kicked out of NY.
    Not even 2 years. We may have $50 million in cap space next season. Some attractive free agents will be on the market that will look nice in green and white including:

Jimmy Graham
    Orakpo
    Clay Matthews
    Whitner
    MJD

Seriously, with another good draft plus good FA signings, the Jets are right back where we were in 2009/10. Of course, solid QB play will be the key. So if the Jets have decided to move on from Sanchez, provide as much talent around Geno for him to succeed.

Finally, just a few years ago, today's darlings: SF and SEA were 5 and 7 win teams. Don't believe the hype that it will take 5 years of more for the Jets to be competitive or win again. That's just b/s.

Jets Insider VIP
    I feel like we're one maybe two more years away. I like what Idzik's doing in terms of trying to make mega strengths ala the D-Line and Corner play. Still lack a ballhawk at Safety as well as playmakers on offense. I expect us to have a season very similar to Miami, win around 6-7 games. Good defense/run game, surprising rookie QB play.
    1 year. I think we're a Safety and an OLB away from being a top 3 or 5 defense.