Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Finally Got Our Edge Rusher

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Be careful jetworks and ddknowsnothing thiink coples can't be an effective edge rusher...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Be careful or you may come off as a douchebag.

Coples is a much more effective inside rusher than outside rusher. That he's listed at 6'6", 290 pounds would tip that off to most people familiar with positional alignments in relation to the 3-4 and 4-3. He is a prototypical 3-4 end, that was why he was coveted by Rex and drafted by the Jets. That RCW here can't admit he was wrong about something and instead insists on trying to make the square peg fit the round hole is immaterial.

That out of the way, the lineups the D puts forth will be interesting. I admittedly don't know much about the new kid Richardson. Does he fit into a DT 3 technique or is he more of a 3-4 NT?

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    You're out of your mind if you think we're cutting a guy whom was a 3rd rounder 2 years ago, and has shown flashes as a serious player. Just has stamina issues, and some inconsistency/injuries. At worst he'll be a 2 down lineman in 3 man line sets.

We wouldn't run a strict 4-3 anyway. It'd be a multiple D with a ton of 3-4 looks as well.
    As a NT I like him as a DT I dont think he'd be all that good. I certainly wouldnt start him. If we kept him it would be as depth. He'd save like 700k if cut and you have Garay. You could easy find a better 4-3 DT cheap right now. You could maybe even trade him. If you could perhaps trade him to Philly in a package to get Trent Cole would you do it?

Rookie
    Garay is no slouch. Where do you guys think he fits in the 4-3?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

Coples is a much more effective inside rusher than outside rusher. That he's listed at 6'6", 290 pounds would tip that off to most people familiar with positional alignments in relation to the 3-4 and 4-3. He is a prototypical 3-4 end, that was why he was coveted by Rex and drafted by the Jets. That RCW here can't admit he was wrong about something and instead insists on trying to make the square peg fit the round hole is immaterial.

That out of the way, the lineups the D puts forth will be interesting. I admittedly don't know much about the new kid Richardson. Does he fit into a DT 3 technique or is he more of a 3-4 NT?
    He's a 3 Tech, definitely not a NT.

The scary comparison is....

Dewayne Robertson.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    NT

Edit: never saw this article until I just googled him.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ys_he_fee.html

Antonio Garay already felt like playing for the Jets was a homecoming.

The Rahway native and former New Jersey state wrestling champion has more than 70 family members still in the area, just a few miles from Florham Park. He was on the Jets practice squad back in 2009 before heading to San Diego.

And if that wasn't enough, things were solidified at the team facility Tuesday morning. Since he didn't have a code to get in, his former Chargers teammate and new neighbor Antonio Cromartie opened the door and said: "What up, fat ass?"

"Everybody’s happy," Garay said on a conference call with reporters this afternoon. "Everyone’s excited. I couldn’t wait to jump at the opportunity to come back here and play for the Jets. (I am) just ecstatic (and) excited over here."

Garay, 33, said he'll come in and compete at the nose tackle position, although he can play in multiple fronts.

Despite a string of injuries and the ware that accompanies 10 years in the league, Garay said he's healthy now. He worked out in Florham Park this morning alongside his competition in 2013, Kenrick Ellis.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-28-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Veteran

Mario Williams is 290 lbs as well and he's a 4-3 end. Its not about weight, its about athleticism. Mo, Coples and Richardson are interchangeable parts. Each one will move from DT, DE in a 4-3. That's exactly what the Giants do. They move all of their pass rushers around the defensive line to create mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    He started with the Bears as a 4-3 DT I dont think he'd be a bad BU really.

Veteran
    Dude is built to be a 4-3 DE. He really isn't a 3-4 DE. He got 5.5 sacks taking double teams all year. Put him one on one and he'll get you 12 sacks easy. I see a lot of Justin Tuck in his game.
    I know this

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So Vilma got slimmer and faster after his surgery?? Some LB'ers can play 3-4 or 4-3 inside I think he can.. BTW he came out the same year as Revis does that mean Revis can't play CB anymore as well..
    What the hell are you even talking about? Some guys have smaller frames. And some stay and look the same years later. With Harris this is not the case. He's added weight and more bulk and hes too slow for 4-3. Harris is a big boy. He's in no way a 4-3 MLB.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Mario Williams is 290 lbs as well and he's a 4-3 end. Its not about weight, its about athleticism. Mo, Coples and Richardson are interchangeable parts. Each one will move from DT, DE in a 4-3. That's exactly what the Giants do. They move all of their pass rushers around the defensive line to create mismatches.
    This

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    What the hell are you even talking about? Some guys have smaller frames. And some stay and look the same years later. With Harris this is not the case. He's added weight and more bulk and hes too slow for 4-3. Harris is a big boy. He's in no way a 4-3 MLB.
    I get it you don't like Harris good for you.. If Rex takes him out when we run a 4-3 then I'll agree with you.. Unless of course you consider yourself a better Defensive mind then him..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I get it you don't like Harris good for you.. If Rex takes him out when we run a 4-3 then I'll agree with you.. Unless of course you consider yourself a better Defensive mind then him..
    I love Harris actually. That is not the point. Telling you a guy is not suited for a specific position doesn't mean I dont like a player. It's just common sense. Vilma is not a 3-4 guy. Hence the reason he was traded when we shifted into a different D. And Harris is the same. He's too big and too slow to man the Middle in a 4-3. You really have to be able to cover and go sideline to sideline. Harris at this point is not that kind of player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty sure Williams has only been that big since playing in a 3-4, but point taken. I'd love to see Coples excel as a 4-3 DE if that is the way the Jets are going. But he was always more productive inside, both in college and on the Jets. A 290 DE is never going to be an "edge-rusher", those are the Freenys of the world.

This is like a reverse-Vilma situation. Harris is a solid 3-4 ILB, but a move to the 4-3 that requires him to move sideline to sideline more may wind up being problematic.

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3. I expect him to have 12-15 sacks, and be our best pass rusher since the days of Abe.

DE: Wilkerson
    DT: Ellis
    DT: Richardson
    DE: Coples

LB: Barnes
    LB: Harris
    LB: Davis

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer ala a Justin Tuck.

Yes, Coples is just like Justin Tuck... minus the actual production in the area of, you know, rushing the passer.

That said, the Giants felt so good about Tuck they also drafted Jason Pierre Paul. It is called recognizing what is perhaps the most important position on the field (after QB) and stockpiling it. The Giants never say, "we have our edge rusher" and then move on. You can never have enough of them. Or, in our case, any.

To your point about getting our LB in next year's draft, that is pretty funny. I have been thinking the same thing since 2005. But yeah, maybe next year is finally the year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, Coples is just like Justin Tuck... minus the actual production in the area of, you know, rushing the passer.

That said, the Giants felt so good about Tuck they also drafted Jason Pierre Paul. It is called recognizing what is perhaps the most important position on the field (after QB) and stockpiling it. The Giants never say, "we have our edge rusher" and then move on. You can never have enough of them. Or, in our case, any.

To your point about getting our LB in next year's draft, that is pretty funny. I have been thinking the same thing since 2005. But yeah, maybe next year is finally the year.
    Justin Tuck had a total of 1 sack in his first two seasons. Coples has plenty of potential to be a consistent 10+ sack guy, he had 5.5 barely seeing the field in a position he never played.

But no, write him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Justin Tuck had a total of 1 sack in his first two seasons. Coples has plenty of potential to be a consistent 10+ sack guy, he had 5.5 barely seeing the field in a position he never played.

But no, write him off.

I wasn't writing him off. I was mocking the notion that:

1. you can suddenly count on Coples as our edge rusher after ONE decent, certainly not great, season, and...
    2. since you can supposedly now count on Coples, we don't need to bring in anyone else. Pointing out that the Giants, Niners and Steelers continue to stockpile pass rushers year after year, even when they are already stacked with them. Yet we have none who are proven, and never draft them.

All League
    Who said don't bring in anyone else? Just Coples can be a really good pass rushing piece of the puzzle.

Veteran
    Pretty sure Williams has only been that big since playing in a 3-4, but point taken. I'd love to see Coples excel as a 4-3 DE if that is the way the Jets are going. But he was always more productive inside, both in college and on the Jets. A 290 DE is never going to be an "edge-rusher", those are the Freenys of the world.

This is like a reverse-Vilma situation. Harris is a solid 3-4 ILB, but a move to the 4-3 that requires him to move sideline to sideline more may wind up being problematic.
    Mario Williams only played in a 3-4 one year and that was his last year with the Texans. And he played OLB, not a 3-4 end. And he was 295 lbs coming out of college. So I guess a 295 lb man can be an edge rusher. Do people just make sh*t up to get their point across? At least try to base an opinion off facts before pressing the "reply" button.
    Last edited by Choon328; 04-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mario Williams only played in a 3-4 one year and that was his last year with the Texans. And he played OLB, not a 3-4 end. And he was 295 lbs coming out of college. So I guess a 295 lb man can be an edge rusher.
    Ok, that's one example. Maybe Coples will be the second?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Mario Williams only played in a 3-4 one year and that was his last year with the Texans. And he played OLB, not a 3-4 end. And he was 295 lbs coming out of college. So I guess a 295 lb man can be an edge rusher. Do people just make sh*t up to get their point across? At least try to base an opinion off facts before pressing the "reply" button.
    Richard Seymour played DT and DE in Oakland's defense as well.

Similar to Williams and Coples in stature Seymour is currently listed at 6'06" @ 317 lbs.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-28-2013 at 04:22 PM.