Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Finally Got Our Edge Rusher

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He had a faster 40 then Vilma coming out of college..
    yeah, going forward in a straight line. harris problem is when he takes his drops and tries to flip his hips, he takes too many little steps.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Ok, that's one example. Maybe Coples will be the second?
    The idea that you base what position a guy will play based on weight is ridiculous. There are a lot more qualities of the player that go into what position he plays and what type of player he can ultimately be. Coples is 285, JPP is 280, Peppers is 285, Charles Johnson 285, . Your statement was that nobody could be an edge pass rusher if they weighed what Coples weighs and you are wrong. Actually some of the best pass rushers in this league weigh 280-295 lbs.
    Last edited by Choon328; 04-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.

I think Richardson is actually our new edge rusher. I think he will play opposite Coples on the edge in a 4 man front and potentially DE in nickle 3 man fronts with Wilk playing NT. He shoes more speed (4.71), burst, and penetration, and he has experience dropping and rushing from a 2 point stance.

I don't think it's a discussion who plays what position. Coples Wilkerson and Richardson are all interchangeable and can all play 4-3 DE 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE

Hall Of Fame
    Hope you're right. Still think he will be out of position.

Last year Coples was more effective rushing from the inside.

We shall see.

P.S. No need for the name calling.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3.
    If this was the case why didn't Rex just play a 4-3 last year and put Coples on the edge?

I just want to point out that Coples was credited with 5.5 sacks while playing less than half the snaps.

And that it should have been 6.5 sacks because a sack he had against Brady was credited to Harris. He broke into the backfield and Brady dove to the ground to avoid Coples - then Harris came and tagged Brady while he was down. Harris gets the sack for that? Coples should have been credited for at least a half a sack.

He also had at least 2 or 3 sacks nullified by penalty - granted they were his penalties ( hitting the QB in the head or grabbing the face mask) but still ...

Hopefully that can be corrected and I expect him to have a better 2nd year.

10+ sacks.

(Just looked it up on Pro Football Focus - and they credit him with 6 sacks)

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont like Wilkerson as a 43 end. Better as a 2 technique

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

So Vilma got slimmer and faster after his surgery?? Some LB'ers can play 3-4 or 4-3 inside I think he can.. BTW he came out the same year as Revis does that mean Revis can't play CB anymore as well..
    Vilma played to his 40 time. Harris, not so much.

Do you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8hnWlk11wk

He got caught from behind by a 40 year old Alge Crumpler (who wasn't even fast when he was young). Harris is painfully, painfully slow.

Mo cannot play end in a 4-man front

Although I do agree that Coples could thrive outside

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Vilma played to his 40 time. Harris, not so much.

Do you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8hnWlk11wk

He got caught from behind by a 40 year old Alge Crumpler (who wasn't even fast when he was young). Harris is painfully, painfully slow.
    I remember when Kerry Rhodes got caught from behind was he painfully slow too?? I'll stick to what Rex thinks will work in his defense if he cuts Harris then I guess you would be right..

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If we go 4-3 I think they cut Ellis. You can get sacks out of Pace and Garrett McIntyre on LE.

Yeah lets cut a 2 yr DT drafted in the 3rd round so that Pace, now reduced to the journeyman phase of his career, can be one of our pass rushing DEs. So under your plan, you leave Coples next to Richardson? without Ellis for rotations so that Pace of all people can be DE? Drinking and posting!
    Last edited by Dcat; 04-28-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Coples is an interior lineman, not an edge rusher

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Coples is an interior lineman, not an edge rusher
    that is exactly right. but he can fire off from anywhere. coples can and will stand up (and so has richardson).

but the bigger picture this thread is missing is that Rex is no longer trying to generate edge pressure in this fashion, he is trying to generate pressure up the middle - from tackle to tackle. not around end.

and that is your answer.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I remember when Kerry Rhodes got caught from behind was he painfully slow too?? I'll stick to what Rex thinks will work in his defense if he cuts Harris then I guess you would be right..
    Another boneheaded comment. Just cause Rex keeps Harris if we switched to a 4-3 doesn't mean it would work or it's the correct move. We kept Vilma for a year and he got crapped on in the 3-4.

Harris could stay and start every game in the 4-3. Doesn't mean it was the right decision by Rex.

Facts are, given what we know about Harris he is a terrible terrible fit in the 4-3.

I know you're Mr. eveything is about stats and ypc and yadda yadda. But all it takes is some football knowledge and the eye test to get your answer. Rex keeping Harris doesn't prove anything. Harris can't be cut right now anyways, so we'd be forced to play him out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    And your point? College is years behind him now. He's much bigger and slower and that's all that matters. He cant play MLB in a 4-3.
    Harris runs like he has load of shjt in his pants. He's not just slow. He is incredibly slow. He makes Mo Lewis late in his career look like a rocket. He makes Shade Tree look like he ran a 4.1. We've had some slow LBs... Clifton, Blinka, Buttle... the list goes on.. but Harris takes the cake. His annual cap hit increases proportionally to his annual decrease in speed.

I needed to say all that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Harris runs like he has load of shjt in his pants. He's not just slow. He is incredibly slow. He makes Mo Lewis late in his career look like a rocket. He makes Shade Tree look like he ran a 4.1. We've had some slow LBs... Clifton, Blinka, Buttle... the list goes on.. but Harris takes the cake. His annual cap hit increases proportionally to his annual decrease in speed.

I needed to say all that.
    Exactly! Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see this. He's not a fit in the 4-3 and it's not even a question. But if Rex keeps him it must mean he's well suited correct? Wrong!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Another boneheaded comment. Just cause Rex keeps Harris if we switched to a 4-3 doesn't mean it would work or it's the correct move. We kept Vilma for a year and he got crapped on in the 3-4.

Harris could stay and start every game in the 4-3. Doesn't mean it was the right decision by Rex.

Facts are, given what we know about Harris he is a terrible terrible fit in the 4-3.

I know you're Mr. eveything is about stats and ypc and yadda yadda. But all it takes is some football knowledge and the eye test to get your answer. Rex keeping Harris doesn't prove anything. Harris can't be cut right now anyways, so we'd be forced to play him out of position.
    Your problem is I like Harris and since you don't I'm wrong period.. I can respect your opinion but disagree, it's a shame you can't.. You post as though Rex doesn't know defense as well as you..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Your problem is I like Harris and since you don't I'm wrong period.. I can respect your opinion but disagree, it's a shame you can't.. You post as though Rex doesn't know defense as well as you..
    I love Cromartie, does that mean I'd be ok sticking him at running back? For your info I'm a huge Harris fan. Own 3 of his jerseys! But that doesn't mean I want him playing out of position Sav.

We haven't even switched to a 4-3, so I'm not calling Rex wrong or think I know more, because the move hasn't been made. But if it eventually is, it doesn't mean Harris is a fit or it would work or Rex is correct.

Just like the year we stuck Vilma in the 3-4. We couldn't cut him at that point so we had to play it out and he got crapped on. This would be the same thing. If we made the change to a 4-3 we would have no choice but to give Harris a try. But it doesn't mean Rex made the right call or that it would work.

Facts are facts and Harris is not a fit in the 3-4. And if you know what it really takes to play this position you'd know this isn't even debateable.

Bottom line: our D line is going to be sick regardless of the scheme, and Harris is slow as s***.