Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We Finally Got Our Edge Rusher

Rookie
    I think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves. Like Coples last year I'm assuming Rex gives Richardson limited snaps as he learns the system and gets brought up to NFL speed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Be careful or you may come off as a douchebag.

Coples is a much more effective inside rusher than outside rusher. That he's listed at 6'6", 290 pounds would tip that off to most people familiar with positional alignments in relation to the 3-4 and 4-3. He is a prototypical 3-4 end, that was why he was coveted by Rex and drafted by the Jets. That RCW here can't admit he was wrong about something and instead insists on trying to make the square peg fit the round hole is immaterial.

That out of the way, the lineups the D puts forth will be interesting. I admittedly don't know much about the new kid Richardson. Does he fit into a DT 3 technique or is he more of a 3-4 NT?
    Your opinion of me means nothing and neither does your opinion of what Coples can and can not succeed it, because clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The idea that you base what position a guy will play based on weight is ridiculous. There are a lot more qualities of the player that go into what position he plays and what type of player he can ultimately be. Coples is 285, JPP is 280, Peppers is 285, Charles Johnson 285, . Your statement was that nobody could be an edge pass rusher if they weighed what Coples weighs and you are wrong. Actually some of the best pass rushers in this league weigh 280-295 lbs.
    Don't remember ever saying that no one could be at that weight. I did say that a higher weight like 290 is usually indicative of a 3-4 end, not a 4-3. It wasn't solely based on weight and I thought I specified that, but maybe it was in another thread. Point is, as you know the 43 DE is more likely set the edge on the strong side (bigger) or collapse the edge and pursue on the weakside (smaller/faster). With the 34, the DEs are supposed to set the edges for the OLBs and maintain lanes to contain, so bigger is better. If they can do both, then they're studs. If Coples can do that, wonderful!

Guys like Seymour and Williams are not necessarily edge rushers, they are 4-3 ends who happen to be good at getting to the QB. There are some who aren't good at that and others who are middling ala Shaun Ellis. When I hear edge rusher, I think Freeny, Abraham and I guess JPP too, although he's just a freak of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Coples is an interior lineman, not an edge rusher
    Meh, the court of public opinion has said otherwise, least where I'm concerned, Buzz. Guess I'll take my lumps.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Your opinion of me means nothing and neither does your opinion of what Coples can and can not succeed it, because clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Apparently the former does as indicated by your need to comment. Frankly, I regret the decision to write what I did, but your dragging of the "argument" from one thread to another by mentioning myself and DDNY was immature and therefore elicited an equally immature response. For that, I apologize.

As to my knowledge, question it as you see fit. You're just as entitled to an opinion as the rest of us.

Coples is extremely fast shooting the gap and very strong at the POA - he doesnt have JPP's athleticism to beat an NFL LT around the edge.

My personal feeling on Richardson and Rex's defense is that Rex likes to blitz DBs from the edge which forces the QB to step up in the pocket. We now have 3 DLineman who can collapse that pocket and keep the QB from stepping up, along with barnes providing edge speed.

Im just not sure how we can play coples, wilk and richardson on first and second down.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I remember when Kerry Rhodes got caught from behind was he painfully slow too?? I'll stick to what Rex thinks will work in his defense if he cuts Harris then I guess you would be right..
    I really hope you're not arguing that David Harris isn't slow. I just showed you real proof. It's one thing to get caught from behind by a guy who can run, but Alge ****ing Crumpler caught him from behind.

And to answer your question, Kerry Rhodes lost a lot of speed. I remember the play you're talking about. Rhodes looked painfully slow on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Coples is extremely fast shooting the gap and very strong at the POA - he doesnt have JPP's athleticism to beat an NFL LT around the edge.

My personal feeling on Richardson and Rex's defense is that Rex likes to blitz DBs from the edge which forces the QB to step up in the pocket. We now have 3 DLineman who can collapse that pocket and keep the QB from stepping up, along with barnes providing edge speed.

Im just not sure how we can play coples, wilk and richardson on first and second down.
    I don't know. JPP and Coples are awfully similar athletically.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=DE

and JPP 10 pounds ago:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=DE

Keep in mind Coples was 15lbs heavier than JPP when he tested at the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If we go 4-3 I think they cut Ellis. You can get sacks out of Pace and Garrett McIntyre on LE. 6 sacks last year and I think playing up front could only help them. Wilk and Richards at DT combo would be nasty in its self. 10 sacks with our DTs you put them side by side. 10 sacks out of Coples. Add in Barnes and 6-8 sacks from randum guys I will say 40 sacks min out of this team. It could very well be a 50+ sack team. I am more worried about if our LBs can cover then our blitz right now.
    If you cut Ellis, then who will play NT in the 3-4? I don't think Garay or Richardson can do for prolonged periods if at all on running downs. They are predominantly effective on passing downs I would guess Richardson in particular is more likely to be used in the 4-3 from the looks of it.

I think Coples is best used as an interior pass rusher like JJ Watt, rather than from the outside.

Even more I expect Barnes, Davis et al to put up very good numbers behind Wilkerson and Coples; not to mention the coverage sacks ensuing from the tight man coverage by Cro, Milliner, Wilson in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Be careful or you may come off as a douchebag.

Coples is a much more effective inside rusher than outside rusher. That he's listed at 6'6", 290 pounds would tip that off to most people familiar with positional alignments in relation to the 3-4 and 4-3. He is a prototypical 3-4 end, that was why he was coveted by Rex and drafted by the Jets. That RCW here can't admit he was wrong about something and instead insists on trying to make the square peg fit the round hole is immaterial.

That out of the way, the lineups the D puts forth will be interesting. I admittedly don't know much about the new kid Richardson. Does he fit into a DT 3 technique or is he more of a 3-4 NT?
    Julius Peppers says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Julius Peppers says hi.

Tuck, Peppers, Mario, Long are all around Coples size..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3. I expect him to have 12-15 sacks, and be our best pass rusher since the days of Abe.

DE: Wilkerson
    DT: Ellis
    DT: Richardson
    DE: Coples

LB: Barnes
    LB: Harris
    LB: Davis

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer ala a Justin Tuck.
    It's going to be called a 4-3 but Coples will be actually playing OLB, but with his hand down most of the time, the way he did at the end of last season. The rest of the team will have the same responsibilities as they had before. Rex said Coples would be playing on the edge more this year already before the draft. Each lineman can also switch up and play any technique on the line. Should be very difficult to handle. Then throw Barnes in there on passing downs and don't forget that we're in the nickel almost half the time. Landry is like an extra LB. We'll be fine. Don't listen to the idiots around here.

My bold prediction for next year is that Coples will be playing in the pro-bowl. We might have the best defensive line in football next year. We're one probably two years away from being a contender, and we'll get their from our DLine/CB play, as well as the hope that Geno lives up to my lofty expectations of him. 13 sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I get it you don't like Harris good for you.. If Rex takes him out when we run a 4-3 then I'll agree with you.. Unless of course you consider yourself a better Defensive mind then him..
    Considering Rex kept Davis on the bench in favor of Bart Scott, and he is an amazing defensive mind, well Davis must really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DRevis24 View Post
    I don't think it's a discussion who plays what position. Coples Wilkerson and Richardson are all interchangeable and can all play 4-3 DE 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE
    "Can play" and "can play at a high level" are very different statements. Wilkerson is a Pro Bowl caliber player as a 3-4 DE; he might just be an average 4-3 DE or 4-3 DT, even if he can still play the position.

here's the thing. when rex got here there were no defensive linemen who could really rush the passer, i'm not counting ellis here. now the jets have 3 legit DL who can rush the passer and push the pocket back. that makes it easier to create blitzing lanes and puts less pressure on finding guys like mingo and jordan. sure it would be great but now the jets have monsters up front who can play the run and pass. and they even got a good cb so the secondary isn't a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

At first, I really hated the Richardson move. Felt like we just replaced Devito at 13. Then, after putting a lot of thought into it, I realized what Rex is trying to do. Coples is a tenacious pass rusher. Reminds me of Justin Tuck. I don't see the fit for him in a 3-4, just like I don't see it in Richardson. We run a multiple D, and this gives Coples the ability to pin his ears back at DE in a 4-3. I expect him to have 12-15 sacks, and be our best pass rusher since the days of Abe.

DE: Wilkerson
    DT: Ellis
    DT: Richardson
    DE: Coples

LB: Barnes
    LB: Harris
    LB: Davis

Go after a rangy 4-3 LB in next years draft, and a playmaking Safety and we have something special on defense. I expect Coples to be a PRO BOWLER next year. This move kills 2 birds in one stone. I preferred Floyd, Star, but Richardson still allows Coples to be tenacious rushing the passer ala a Justin Tuck.
    I thought they'd run a 4-3 last year and they didn't...Would love to see it but don't hold ur breath

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Rex said moving Coples out to an edge rusher is "certainly a possibility." Allow Richardson and Wilkerson to the inside. #nyj
    And there you have it

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Coples is an interior lineman, not an edge rusher
    Go back and watch the tape from the last three games last year. Sorry but Coples generated a lot of pressure, and a few sacks playing on the edge. No he does not speed rush and bend around the LT, but he does bull rush, club, rip, and swim as well as anyone, with nice counter moves. He's actually faster to the QB because he takes the direct approach. It's not my opinion. Watch the film. He's playing in Pace's weak side spot usually with his hand down. Now all the guys we have can play each technique, which slowed their progression, but now Coples, Wilkerson, and Ellis can really F**k with an Oline switching around. We'll see how they use Richardson, but we are going to have 4 guys that can line up anywhere, and cause some havoc, and we have Barnes to speed rush, along with blitzes which are still legal.