Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geno Smith and the deep ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Watch Geno's game against a LSU squad that had Mingo, Brockers, Claiborne, Mathieu, etc......he may not have won, but he went up against a NFL calibre defense and played his ass off.

He really really impressed me with his gutsy play in that game.
    He's a tough dude. He needs another baller - Braylon Edwards to fight and catch the deep balls in green and white.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnbub View Post
    Starting to wish the Jets had drafted Steadman Bailey, # 3 from WVU, who went to the Rams. He and Geno looked like a great combo. And for those that say Geno's career was made from having Tavon Austin to throw to, maybe it's the opposite and Geno helped make Austin & Bailey into 1st and 3rd round picks respectively.
    Not if you look at the 5 yard passes thrown to them that they turned into a 60 yard play.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Watch Geno's game against a LSU squad that had Mingo, Brockers, Claiborne, Mathieu, etc......he may not have won, but he went up against a NFL calibre defense and played his ass off.

He really really impressed me with his gutsy play in that game.
    Best part of this is that he was a Junior in that game. Had a whole year more to mature and work on his game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said before....I've watched every snap. We got a hell of a QB with the 39th pick. Be grateful. However, he has had bad games when it was windy or cold. I know Morgantown can be cold. I lived there for 12 years. Watch the Tex Tech game from last season. He was struggling in the wind. I'm sure he can get over it.
    Good news is he's an accurate passer, he is a student of the game, great work ethic, and contrary to popular belief....he has a great attitude. He's a team player. He's a very quiet guy. And not once in 4 years did he have any off-the-field trouble. He has a ton of potential. Be patient

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    His hand are 9.25 thats a quarter size bigger than Ryan Tannehill
    From what I understand and could be wrong teams prefer nothing under 9
    That and the fact Sanchez hands are 10 something yet he still has problems fumbling.If they get the ball away before the defence gets there then fumbling ought to be less of an issue

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Not if you look at the 5 yard passes thrown to them that they turned into a 60 yard play.
    So because Montana played with Rice, who took many 5 and 10 passes to the house, we should discount his passing ability to, right?

If you watched the video on Geno that was posted before, I think you would see the perfect placement he put on many passes as well as his ability to get the ball in the narrowest of windows. Not to mention dropping the deep ball perfectly over his receivers shoulder. This kid is a VERY accurate passer who can make all the throws and YES actually helped his receivers to become better. How? By placing the ball where only they could catch it and also getting it to them quick enough to allow them to make a "football move" after the catch. That is a skill our current quarterback is sorely lacking.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    So because Montana played with Rice, who took many 5 and 10 passes to the house, we should discount his passing ability to, right?

If you watched the video on Geno that was posted before, I think you would see the perfect placement he put on many passes as well as his ability to get the ball in the narrowest of windows. Not to mention dropping the deep ball perfectly over his receivers shoulder. This kid is a VERY accurate passer who can make all the throws and YES actually helped his receivers to become better. How? By placing the ball where only they could catch it and also getting it to them quick enough to allow them to make a "football move" after the catch. That is a skill our current quarterback is sorely lacking.
    That's the main thing I looked for and was really glad to see, was all the times I saw him put passes in the tightest of windows where a defender was draped all over his receiver, basically like what you see in the pros.

You can't teach accuracy. You never saw that from Sanchez in his small body of work prior to being drafted, so for anyone to say how great a prospect Sanchez was is a joke. That's why USC QBs virtually never pan out. Their competition is the equivalent of college vs high school.

Another funny thing, is that Smith actually looks bigger physically than Sanchez, when the listed height/weight has Sanchez ahead in those measurables.

I wish I could see them both wing it down the practice field at the same time, my bet would be on Smith...easy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I was looking up sanchez's hand size (which is 10.5 inches btw) and came across this article. SMH

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...-the-no-1-pick
    All this article goes to show how much the Sanchez had skills and the Jets coaching staff hurt him.

Only the irrational Jet hate obscures this self evident fact that Sanchez was
    hurt by the Jets "coaching"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    All this article goes to show how much the Sanchez had skills and the Jets coaching staff hurt him.

Hopefully Marty & co can do better than Schotty & co in developing Geno.

And if he can help improve Sanchez's play into the bargain, that'd be a real bonus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno CAN make all the throws. However, so can Mark Sanchez. They're both plagued by inconsistency. Is Geno as sensitive as Mark? Probably not, but maybe. Can Geno improve instead of regress? That's the big question. The talent is there. Sanchez has proven he is not a starting QB in the NFL, at least not for a winning organization. Three or four games with 12 or 13 **** games does not make a good QB. Can Geno Smith do what Sanchez couldn't? That's the question.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    That's the main thing I looked for and was really glad to see, was all the times I saw him put passes in the tightest of windows where a defender was draped all over his receiver, basically like what you see in the pros.

You can't teach accuracy. You never saw that from Sanchez in his small body of work prior to being drafted, so for anyone to say how great a prospect Sanchez was is a joke. That's why USC QBs virtually never pan out. Their competition is the equivalent of college vs high school.

Another funny thing, is that Smith actually looks bigger physically than Sanchez, when the listed height/weight has Sanchez ahead in those measurables.

I wish I could see them both wing it down the practice field at the same time, my bet would be on Smith...easy.
    I think Smith is taller then Sanchez

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZZh4cKfXs

he can but he is inconsistent
    That video got me pumped up

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

Team Leader. Rocket Arm. Dead Accurate. The USC Quarterback.

These are the thoughts that jump into my head when thinking about former USC QB, Mark Sanchez.
    NO, it shows how over the top some are when looking at a college player. It doesn't show how someone was ruined. Funny, its only our coaching staff that ruins a QB, it's not the QBs fault for not developing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    NO, it shows how over the top some are when looking at a college player. It doesn't show how someone was ruined. Funny, its only our coaching staff that ruins a QB, it's not the QBs fault for not developing.
    Exactly...

You put any of the great QB's under the same coaches and Peyton Manning is still making it to the hall of fame.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    have you ever heard of morgantown west virginia....it's COLDER that all the stadiums you mentioned....why are people worried about this when the man started 3 years at WVU...makes zeor sense....this is the last thing to be concerned about...he just needs to grasp the nfl style of play and he has the perfect OC to teach him.
    I'm not that worried about him in the cold, but for people pointing out the temperature in Morgantown, please remember the college football regular season wraps up the 3rd week of November. The average high in Morgantown in November is 54, average low 34. That's not the same as East Rutherford the 1st week of January. He's has some bad cold weather games, but no reason why he can't overcome that. Making the jump to the NFL will be more of a worry than the weather.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Exit the Tebowites, enter the Geno Dreamers.
    How about the "Geno-tiles"?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see Geno already has plenty of haters here...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Exactly...

You put any of the great QB's under the same coaches and Peyton Manning is still making it to the hall of fame.
    Because you said so, it must be true. In the parallel universe inhabited by jetsfan1983 who knows exactly what would happen in hypothetical scenarios and thinks his opinions are 'facts'. You also knew exactly what Mayock would have said if someone else would have drafted Smith. and now people had expectations of sanchez being Peyton Manning?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-30-2013 at 12:42 PM.