Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Geno Smith and the deep ball.

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323

    Geno Smith and the deep ball.

    Ive noticed his poor accuracy on deep throws at times. Can he make all the throws?

    Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    188
    I watched every snap this kid took at WVU. He is usually deadly accurate downfield. He is a Miami native and has had bad games when the weather gets bad. He's going to have to get better at throwing on windy days. I think he will

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,577
    I like what I see. He clearly doesn't have a magical deep-ball arm that makes effortless high-velocity throws all over the field. But - he does have a very mature mix of throwing skills. As per an earlier thread - he does remind me of Matt Ryan - and seems to be more of a pocket QB footwork-wise than I had assumed.

    I am happy for the pick. He'll be a great fit for a WCO - and now the Jets REALLY need to go find him his Julio Jones, etc.

    My only question about Geno is if he's a gamer - is he a guy who wants the ball with 2 mins in the 4th qtr . . . I never watched him so I have no idea. Although Eli never had that rep and he's worked out quite well in that regard . . .

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    I watched every snap this kid took at WVU. He is usually deadly accurate downfield. He is a Miami native and has had bad games when the weather gets bad. He's going to have to get better at throwing on windy days. I think he will
    This is what worries me. He will be playing in the Meadowlands. Foxboro, and Buffalo in Nov, Dec, and hopefully January. If he stinks in the cold, we are screwed.

    Let's hope that is not the case, but the Pinstripe Bowl has me concerned.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    This is what worries me. He will be playing in the Meadowlands. Foxboro, and Buffalo in Nov, Dec, and hopefully January. If he stinks in the cold, we are screwed.

    Let's hope that is not the case, but the Pinstripe Bowl has me concerned.
    he went 19 of 28 for 201 yards, 2 tds no picks. 2 safeties. this is better than most of sanchez's games as a jet.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he went 19 of 28 for 201 yards, 2 tds no picks. 2 safeties. this is better than most of sanchez's games as a jet.
    lol - true

  8. #8

    Cool

    I'm scratching my head about the whole "throwing in the cold" thing. did he not start three years at West Virginia? That's not exactly a tropical paradise. It does get very cold there and can sometimes even snow. I would think he has a lot of experience throwing the ball in that weather.

  9. #9
    I'm confident MM would do a good job coaching Geno, so the accuracy thing will be fixed and if they click the Jets are in business. Next draft Marquis Lee should be our target if we draft that high, or trade up.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    I'm scratching my head about the whole "throwing in the cold" thing. did he not start three years at West Virginia? That's not exactly a tropical paradise. It does get very cold there and can sometimes even snow. I would think he has a lot of experience throwing the ball in that weather.
    Morgantown weather is much colder than East Rutherford. The whole idea that he cannot play in the cold because his team played poorly during this past pinstripe bowl is stupid.

  11. #11
    Geno when pressured has issues with the deep ball. He gets off balance and doesnt plant his feet right which makes him wined up a bit. I think that could be an easy fix. Just get him to not drop his shoulders as much on the run and the footing should follow.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    I'm scratching my head about the whole "throwing in the cold" thing. did he not start three years at West Virginia? That's not exactly a tropical paradise. It does get very cold there and can sometimes even snow. I would think he has a lot of experience throwing the ball in that weather.
    Yep.
    And they get plenty of snow. A lot of people go skiing and boarding there.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,512
    Small hands for a guy his size.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZZh4cKfXs

    he can but he is inconsistent
    That is a great video showcasing exactly why I liked Geno to the Jets. I even created a thread about picking him at #9. The fact that we got him 30 picks later is fantastic.

    You can't watch him play the QB position and not see just how much better he is than Mark Sanchez. All the talk about his accuracy not being there... sorry, I don't see that at all. I see a guy with excellent footwork, composure, and throwing skills. Some people get scared off with the "athletic black QB" tag... thinking that he can't throw the ball accurately and will be looking to run first when things break down. I disagree. To me, he's a pure pocket passer who also has great athleticism.

    If the knock on him is his attitude then I can understand why he fell into the 2nd round. However, he's just been pretty well humbled and he'll have a chip on his shoulder which might do him some good. Not sure how truthful the comments about him being uncoachable are, seeing as he's supposedly one of the best film students at the position and that he played so well, one would think that's a product of taking to coaching. Time will tell. All I know is that Marty is excited about the pick for sure. And if Geno starts it will be because he earned it. However, I have no doubts in my mind that this kid can compete right out of the gate with the veterans on the roster. To me, the throws he routinely made in college shows that he's NFL ready. It will come down to his ability to get comfortable in Marty's offense. I'll be rooting for the guy.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    He does have small hands for a QB that will undoubtedly lead to fumbling. Lets hope that MM can fix the mechanical issues that he has and we can incorporate a very uptempo play calling that will have him getting rid of the ball quickly so as to avoid putting him in situations where he is in a lot of 7-step drops and waiting for several deep routes to open up.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    He does have small hands for a QB that will undoubtedly lead to fumbling. Lets hope that MM can fix the mechanical issues that he has and we can incorporate a very uptempo play calling that will have him getting rid of the ball quickly so as to avoid putting him in situations where he is in a lot of 7-step drops and waiting for several deep routes to open up.
    His hand are 9.25 thats a quarter size bigger than Ryan Tannehill
    From what I understand and could be wrong teams prefer nothing under 9

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,512
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    His hand are 9.25 thats a quarter size bigger than Ryan Tannehill
    From what I understand and could be wrong teams prefer nothing under 9
    By comparison Nassib and Barkley both have 10 1/8" inch hands and are the about the same height as Geno.

    Its not the end all be all, but typically guys with smaller hands struggle more in cold weather and have ball security issues.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Geno when pressured has issues with the deep ball. He gets off balance and doesnt plant his feet right which makes him wined up a bit. I think that could be an easy fix. Just get him to not drop his shoulders as much on the run and the footing should follow.
    95% of QBs have problems throwing a deep ball when under pressure.

  19. #19
    Starting to wish the Jets had drafted Steadman Bailey, # 3 from WVU, who went to the Rams. He and Geno looked like a great combo. And for those that say Geno's career was made from having Tavon Austin to throw to, maybe it's the opposite and Geno helped make Austin & Bailey into 1st and 3rd round picks respectively.

  20. #20
    Exit the Tebowites, enter the Geno Dreamers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us