Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets O-Line will open things up...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Vlad could sign for $13 an hour after his contract.

THAT is all he is worth.

I say keep him as a sad reminder of WHY the look and smell test is as important as any of these draft reports. 2nd round developmental picks?? SAY NO TO THAT.

I tell ya...a CPA in NC could look at his footwork and tell you he sucks.
    Ducasse was ALL potential over production, Idzik by his own admission is more production over potential.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Jets r going to do their thing in the running gm this yr.

Jets Offense

QB - Sanchez / Smith
    RB - Ivory
    WR - Hill
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Kerley
    TE - Cumberland
    OT - Brick
    OG - Colon
    C - Mangold
    OG - Winters
    OT - Austin

Backup OL

Aboushi
    Campbell
    Ducasse
    IF those three players are your backup oline your in trouble. (better hope your tackles stay healthy) Who is the backup Center? Who is the backup RT? Oday Aboushi looked like he was going to be a top Rt candidate, but he was exposed big time at senior bowl. Vernon Gholston could have beaten him off the corner. (he will be a guard)

Jets drafted three guards. 2 Winters- will start , 2 Aboushi - will be a backup and 3 William Campbell- Pactice squad Vlad Ducasse will be cut as that was last GM pick, and they don't have any loyalty to him. ( one of Idzik guys gets his spot)

Jets need a backup Center and a swing tackle(can play LT and Rt). They don't have either on the roster right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    IF those three players are your backup oline your in trouble. (better hope your tackles stay healthy) Who is the backup Center? Who is the backup RT? Oday Aboushi looked like he was going to be a top Rt candidate, but he was exposed big time at senior bowl. Vernon Gholston could have beaten him off the corner. (he will be a guard)

Jets drafted three guards. 2 Winters- will start , 2 Aboushi - will be a backup and 3 William Campbell- Pactice squad Vlad Ducasse will be cut as that was last GM pick, and they don't have any loyalty to him. ( one of Idzik guys gets his spot)

Jets need a backup Center and a swing tackle(can play LT and Rt). They don't have either on the roster right now.
    We have people on the roster, whether you like them or not is another story:

Center - Nick Mangold, Caleb Shalauderaff, Dalton Freeman
    LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, D.J. Young
    LG - Vladimir Ducasse, Brian Winters, Stephen Peterman, Dennis Landolt
    RG - Willie Colon, William Campbell, Mark Popek
    RT - Austin Howard, Oday Aboushi, Trey Gilleo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We where 3rd in pass blocking run blocking eh not so much.
    3rd in pass blocking- what was the criteria you went by to come up with that figure.(Dreamer- wake up) You threw the ball only 493 times and you gave up 47 sacks. That comes down to a sack every 8.3 times your Qb dropped back to pass. (not good)

Maybe you meant you were the six worse team protecting your Qb in the NFl last year?
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    We have people on the roster, whether you like them or not is another story:

Center - Nick Mangold, Caleb Shalauderaff, Dalton Freeman
    LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, D.J. Young
    LG - Vladimir Ducasse, Brian Winters, Stephen Peterman, Dennis Landolt
    RG - Willie Colon, William Campbell, Mark Popek
    RT - Austin Howard, Oday Aboushi, Trey Gilleo
    Just because you have bodies at those positions mean you can count on those players. You really think DJ Young and Oday Aboushi can play LT and RT(be swing tackle) . Aboushi struggled so bad at RT at senior bowl in pass protection, that he has to be a guard in the NFl .

Caleb Schlauderaff you think he can be backup center. JMO I think they find someone else.

Here is your Oline 1. Ferguson, 2 Colon 3 Mangold 4 Winters 5 Howard 6. Peterman will backup LG and RG 7 Oday Aboushi (probably will be ninth Oline that inactive. 8. Need a swing tackle 9. Center. Eight olineman will be active on game day. Jets will get a swing tackle and get a backup center before the season starts. Unless willie Colon becomes swing tackle.( Maybe RT but asking him to play Lt would be pushing it)

Btw IF Ferguson got hurt and DJ Young or Aboushi had to be the LT . You would be a shoo in for the number 1 pick in 2014 draft. Not to mention you would see all your Qbs play, whether you wanted to play them or not.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-29-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FO just needs to cut him and essentially admit he was a bust. They need to cut ties with him and move forward. It's been long enough now. If he hasn't understood how to be a decent player in this league by now, he's never going to.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because you have bodies at those positions mean you can count on those players. You really think DJ Young and Oday Aboushi can play LT and RT(be swing tackle) . Aboushi struggled so bad at RT at senior bowl in pass protection, that he has to be a guard in the NFl .

Caleb Schlauderaff you think he can be backup center. JMO I think they find someone else.

Here is your Oline 1. Ferguson, 2 Colon 3 Mangold 4 Winters 5 Howard 6. Peterman will backup LG and RG 7 Oday Aboushi (probably will be ninth Oline that inactive. 8. Need a swing tackle 9. Center. Eight olineman will be active on game day. Jets will get a swing tackle and get a backup center before the season starts. Unless willie Colon becomes swing tackle.( Maybe RT but asking him to play Lt would be pushing it)

Btw IF Ferguson got hurt and DJ Young or Aboushi had to be the LT . You would be a shoo in for the number 1 pick in 2014 draft. Not to mention you would see all your Qbs play, whether you wanted to play them or not.

If Ferguson got hurt, there is no way in hell any of those guys start at LT.

In that case, Howard would switch to left tackle (it has been his position every year until last year) and one of Colon or Winters would kick out to RT. IIRC, Winters played some tackle in college. Colon has made starts at RT in the past.

Again, not an ideal situation, but it's better than what you're suggesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets have 3 returning starters and 1 of em is a scrub. If you mean opening holes for the defense to kill the QB and whoever the RB is, then i understand. I guess that's why we have so many RBs on the roster today.

Powell
    McKnight
    Goodson
    Ivory
    Griffin
    Thank you--finally someone who gets it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't forget that some of the routes that took forever were because sanchez was not very decisive. sanchez caused a lot of his own sacks by holding onto the ball too long.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I agree, the quick decisive passing is just what the doctor ordered. Shoddy's neither nor there "system" and Sparano's malfunction last year were horrendous. Routes that take forever and playcalls that don't make good sense based on down and distance. Thank God those infidels have left. Howard is a competent and effective RT when you don't ask him to block forever. A quick passing attack also keeps the O fresh and well rested and the D off balance. MM recently said that his WCO would work on the Jet's strengths. Can't wait!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    If Ferguson got hurt, there is no way in hell any of those guys start at LT.

In that case, Howard would switch to left tackle (it has been his position every year until last year) and one of Colon or Winters would kick out to RT. IIRC, Winters played some tackle in college. Colon has made starts at RT in the past.

Again, not an ideal situation, but it's better than what you're suggesting.
    Only question I'm going to ask is How many Sacks do Jets give up if they have Austin Howard playing LT against Premier pass rushers in the NFl. (he isn't exactly lights out at RT)

Now you have Austin Howard at LT and Willie Colon at Rt and what is the over and under in games for your Qb staying healthy IYO. Lets see LT A Howard LG Winters C Mangold RG Peterman RT W Colon I rest my case.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Ducasse needs to be DuGone
    I would expect there is little chance that Ducasse will make the team. Tanenbaum kept him around because he was his pick and he hoped he'd turn into something. Idzik doesn't owe him anything and that's a lot of guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only question I'm going to ask is How many Sacks do Jets give up if they have Austin Howard playing LT against Premier pass rushers in the NFl. (he isn't exactly lights out at RT)

Now you have Austin Howard at LT and Willie Colon at Rt and what is the over and under in games for your Qb staying healthy IYO. Lets see LT A Howard LG Winters C Mangold RG Peterman RT W Colon I rest my case.
    Why are we assuming Brick will get hurt when he hasn't had any injury problems?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I answer your question with a question: How many NFL teams have two starting caliber LTs?

If your LT gets hurt, it effs up almost any team unless you're one of the few teams that has multiple LTs or you have such a good QB that isn't affected by it.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have already looked past 2012....this defense with upgrades.... BETTER o line.....Ivory, goodson, powell making a difference....better QB play....wins in the last 4 seasons.....6-8-13-11......last 2 seasons was tough but we were not 2-14....this is a new age and Idzik is to thank. We got a wise and rational gm and a coach that will focus on coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    For Ivory and Goodson. Lets also not forget about McKnight who was poorly used with the previous OC's. Marty will find ways to line him up as receiver and on screen passes where he can utilize his speed to make plays. This offense will be much better this season.

I also think that we are not devoid of playmakers. Lets not forget about Santonio coming back, it will take him awhile but he will be ready to go during the season. Stephen Hill showed some improvement at the end of last season before he got injuried and his season was over and Kerley can surprise this year as he gets better and better.

I am starting to believe in this new regime and John Idzik. Games are won in the trenches, this has been proven time and time again. A stacked O-Line will make all of the skilled players look much better. Same with your defense, if you have a strong front 7 everything else will follow.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    and just how good is the raiders o line....for a team that has ZERO winning seasons in a DECADE, you seem to be the expert on the Jets oline....when then jets wipe up the floor with the Raiders then critique the jets o line.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The OL SHOULD be better, with the operative word being should. They still won't be anywhere near as good as they were in 2009, but an improvement over last season. If Colon goes down, it could go bad very quickly. Howard is still not a very good player.

If their health holds up and we get contributions from Aboushi and Winters can start, then yeah, the running game will be better. Hell everything will be better on offense.
    I expect MM to find Goodson particularly useful on 3rd downs, catching the ball for YAC, more use of screens to keep D's off balance for quick, easy gains etc. OL should be an improvement from last year considering they gelled well in the latter part of the year and with all the competition Idzik's bringing in. If Geno/Sanchez can connect deep with Hill etc then we won't face the dreaded 8 in the box.

BTW 90210 go and say the rosary for your dreadful Rai-duhs. This is the last place where you should be boasting about the emperor's new clothes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is folks

The Jets have a nice set of OLmen to begin the 2014 campaign. It is comprised of players who can swing between positions giving the team great flexibility.

LT Starter : Brick Ferguson
    LT swing : Austin Howard

LG Starter : Willie colon
    LG swing : Caleb Schlauderaff

C Starter : Nick Mangold
    C swing : Schlauderaff, Caleb

RG Starter : Stephen Peterman
    RG Swing : Brian Winters

RT Starter : Austin Howard
    RT Swing : Brian Winters

Reserve : Oday Aboushi : OT/ OG

Practice Squad : Will Campbell : RG
    Last edited by Tinstar; 04-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I think the quick passing attack that the Eagles had will bold well for Howard. Colon if healthy will provide an instant upgrade over Slauson/Moore. The other guard spot will be held by Winters, which will be an upgrade over Moore - Moore is still suffering from the hip tendentious that plagued him over the last two seasons. While the OL was a disappointment last year, the RB's were even more so. Don't quote me, but I think our longest carry was what 42 yards last year? Ivory/Goodson pack speed and toughness that will be much better than many expect. So while you question the OL - I suspect the benefit from a healthier line with younger bodies in Winter and a stable Pro-Bowl player in Colon will produce great results this year.
    Longest carry was McKnight with 61 yds.. Gee no one complained in 2004 when Cumars longest carry was 25 yds..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    teams weren't afraid of sanchez... so they schemed to stop the run and make sanchez make bad decisions...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Longest carry was McKnight with 61 yds.. Gee no one complained in 2004 when Cumars longest carry was 25 yds..
    i think the 1697 yards, took care of the 25 yard for a long