Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets O-Line will open things up...

The Jets O-Line will open things up...

For Ivory and Goodson. Lets also not forget about McKnight who was poorly used with the previous OC's. Marty will find ways to line him up as receiver and on screen passes where he can utilize his speed to make plays. This offense will be much better this season.

I also think that we are not devoid of playmakers. Lets not forget about Santonio coming back, it will take him awhile but he will be ready to go during the season. Stephen Hill showed some improvement at the end of last season before he got injuried and his season was over and Kerley can surprise this year as he gets better and better.

I am starting to believe in this new regime and John Idzik. Games are won in the trenches, this has been proven time and time again. A stacked O-Line will make all of the skilled players look much better. Same with your defense, if you have a strong front 7 everything else will follow.

All Pro

What OL

The Jets have 3 returning starters and 1 of em is a scrub. If you mean opening holes for the defense to kill the QB and whoever the RB is, then i understand. I guess that's why we have so many RBs on the roster today.

Powell
    McKnight
    Goodson
    Ivory
    Griffin

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets have 3 returning starters and 1 of em is a scrub. If you mean opening holes for the defense to kill the QB and whoever the RB is, then i understand. I guess that's why we have so many RBs on the roster today.

Powell
    McKnight
    Goodson
    Ivory
    Griffin
    I think the quick passing attack that the Eagles had will bold well for Howard. Colon if healthy will provide an instant upgrade over Slauson/Moore. The other guard spot will be held by Winters, which will be an upgrade over Moore - Moore is still suffering from the hip tendentious that plagued him over the last two seasons. While the OL was a disappointment last year, the RB's were even more so. Don't quote me, but I think our longest carry was what 42 yards last year? Ivory/Goodson pack speed and toughness that will be much better than many expect. So while you question the OL - I suspect the benefit from a healthier line with younger bodies in Winter and a stable Pro-Bowl player in Colon will produce great results this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I think the quick passing attack that the Eagles had will bold well for Howard. Colon if healthy will provide an instant upgrade over Slauson/Moore. The other guard spot will be held by Winters, which will be an upgrade over Moore - Moore is still suffering from the hip tendentious that plagued him over the last two seasons. While the OL was a disappointment last year, the RB's were even more so. Don't quote me, but I think our longest carry was what 42 yards last year? Ivory/Goodson pack speed and toughness that will be much better than many expect. So while you question the OL - I suspect the benefit from a healthier line with younger bodies in Winter and a stable Pro-Bowl player in Colon will produce great results this year.
    I love Ivory in the backfield. If Geno can deliver downfield a little bit, and Winters works out, the Jets will run all over the place again.

Jets r going to do their thing in the running gm this yr.

Jets Offense

QB - Sanchez / Smith
    RB - Ivory
    WR - Hill
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Kerley
    TE - Cumberland
    OT - Brick
    OG - Colon
    C - Mangold
    OG - Winters
    OT - Austin

Backup OL

Aboushi
    Campbell
    Ducasse

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post

Jets Offense

QB - Sanchez / Smith
    RB - Ivory
    WR - Hill
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Kerley
    TE - Cumberland
    OT - Brick
    OG - Colon
    C - Mangold
    OG - Winters
    OT - Austin

Backup OL

Aboushi
    Campbell
    Ducasse
    Ducasse needs to be DuGone

Why is everyone stuck in 2011? We got ranked 3rd in the NFL last year after we got Austin and lost the turnstile. With the depth from the draft the Oline is solid, OP is correct on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post

Jets Offense

QB - Sanchez / Smith
    RB - Ivory
    WR - Hill
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Kerley
    TE - Cumberland
    OT - Brick
    OG - Colon
    C - Mangold
    OG - Winters
    OT - Austin

Backup OL

Aboushi
    Campbell
    Ducasse
    Caleb makes the team could very well be the starting G. BU G/C at very least. Campbell is a project player you can throw him on the PS. Move Winters to RT IMO use Austin as the BU T. Cut Vlad if Aboushi make the roster. You dont need 2 BU Gs.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I agree, the quick decisive passing is just what the doctor ordered. Shoddy's neither nor there "system" and Sparano's malfunction last year were horrendous. Routes that take forever and playcalls that don't make good sense based on down and distance. Thank God those infidels have left. Howard is a competent and effective RT when you don't ask him to block forever. A quick passing attack also keeps the O fresh and well rested and the D off balance. MM recently said that his WCO would work on the Jet's strengths. Can't wait!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Why is everyone stuck in 2011? We got ranked 3rd in the NFL last year after we got Austin and lost the turnstile. With the depth from the draft the Oline is solid, OP is correct on that part.
    The Jets offense was ranked third in what?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Offensive lines in the NFL from ProFootballFocus:
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-lines/4/

Ranking the 2012 Offensive Lines

Khaled Elsayed | 2013/01/28
    • Share by Email
    Each year we present our list of the top offensive lines in football. It’s not built on which teams gave up the most sacks, or who had the most rushing yards.
    It goes far beyond that.
    No, we understand that the success a team has in running the ball or protecting the quarterback is more than just a reflection of the offensive line. It involves the skill players making plays, whether that’s getting rid of the ball before pressure can develop, breaking a tackle to turn a 2-yard run into a 20-yard one, or making sure that blitzing defensive back is halted in his progress.
    Our 2012 Offensive Line Rankings look solely at those guys who are offensive linemen, and how they’ve performed. It’s broken down into three categories (Pass Protection, Run and Screen Blocking, and Penalties) and between them they give us an overall score which leads to the rankings.
    Now, let’s countdown to No. 1 (2011 rank in brackets – green Improving, red dropping).
    dot dot dot
    3. New York Jets (12)

PB – 7th, RB – 3rd, PEN – 3rd
    Stud: There were plenty of contenders here, but given some of the guys he kept in check, credit to D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+23.5) for a fine year.
    Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.
    Summary: Everybody wants to poke fun at the Jets, and for some reason the offensive line got caught in the crossfire. It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team. Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore played angry, while Austin Howard found his feet as an NFL tackle. Still, a line can only do so much to put skill players in position to do good things, and in that regard the Jets are sorely lacking.

The OL SHOULD be better, with the operative word being should. They still won't be anywhere near as good as they were in 2009, but an improvement over last season. If Colon goes down, it could go bad very quickly. Howard is still not a very good player.

If their health holds up and we get contributions from Aboushi and Winters can start, then yeah, the running game will be better. Hell everything will be better on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We where 3rd in pass blocking run blocking eh not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    11 sacks from the chargers (oh and they 26 the rest of the season) of greg mcleroy belive your eyes not the rankings
    Last edited by joe810; 04-29-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Ducasse needs to be DuGone
    +1

Knew that when they drafted that "raw talent". What a slug.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    +1

Knew that when they drafted that "raw talent". What a slug.
    how many guard do the jets have to draft before ducasse is cut? plus didn't they sign one from the lions? ducasse is another guy who shouldn't be there come june 1 if there are no additional cap ramifications.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    how many guard do the jets have to draft before ducasse is cut? plus didn't they sign one from the lions? ducasse is another guy who shouldn't be there come june 1 if there are no additional cap ramifications.
    Vlad only saves 220K if cut, but would still have 667K in dead money. Looks like Vlad stays for one more year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

Powell
    McKnight
    Goodson
    Ivory
    Griffin
    exactly what I was thinking

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Vlad only saves 220K if cut, but would still have 667K in dead money. Looks like Vlad stays for one more year.
    Vlad could sign for $13 an hour after his contract.

THAT is all he is worth.

I say keep him as a sad reminder of WHY the look and smell test is as important as any of these draft reports. 2nd round developmental picks?? SAY NO TO THAT.

I tell ya...a CPA in NC could look at his footwork and tell you he sucks.

I expect Ducasse will be staying and starting, not getting cut. He played decent last year. Would be bad move to cut someone we knew was a project when he's finally coming along.

Winters is a tackle from a non-BCS school converting to guard. I recall a recent draft pick who was a similar situation, can't quite remember his name . . . Seriously, I know Winets isn't raw like Ducasse was, but don't expect him to come in and start immediately.

Peterman, the guard from the Lions, is awful, that's why he was cut, allowed 36 hurries last year, most in the league.