Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another thing that Rex pissed me off this weekend with

Another thing that Rex pissed me off this weekend with

Tavon Austin tweeted "Rex said he has a plan for me."

Then the Rams jumped in front.

Geno Smith tweeted "Rex said he has a plan for me."

I know the Rams trading up probably didn't think the Jets were going to take Tavon Austin just from the tweets, but it seems that all the leaks about what players the Jets like come from Rex. Mingo "Rex smitten with Mingo".

I have to feel like more ambiguity would have helped. Rex can't help himself. A CIA operative, he is not.

Austin got the Oki Doke. Lol!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

I know the Rams trading up probably didn't think the Jets were going to take Tavon Austin just from the tweets, but it seems that all the leaks about what players the Jets like come from Rex. Mingo "Rex smitten with Mingo".

I have to feel like more ambiguity would have helped. Rex can't help himself. A CIA operative, he is not.
    Actually John, if Tavon Austin would have just kept his trap shut, he'd probably be in green & white right now.

That's not Rex's fault, the kid should have had enough sense to realize that that was a private conversation he should have just kept it to himself until the draft was over.

That's the kind of thing Austin should have talked about in a post draft interview, not before the draft.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-28-2013 at 08:43 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Nope... he can't help it that he is such a huge dooooooosh.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Actually John, if Tavon Austin would have just kept his trap shut, he'd probably be in green & white right now.

That's not Rex's fault, the kid should have had enough sense to realize that that was a private conversation he should have just kept it to himself.

That's the kind of thing Austin should have talked about in a post draft interview, not before the draft.
    Or Maybe the Jets wanted the league to believe that they would take Austin so they could use him as trade bait to move down. The Miami Dolphins moving up and taking Dion Jordan blew up this whole draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Or Maybe the Jets wanted the league to believe that they would take Austin so they could use him as trade bait to move down. The Miami Dolphins moving up and taking Dion Jordan blew up this whole draft.
    GFY MIAMI!

Jets Insider VIP
    not drafting the tiny li'l fella was a blessing

prefer the two studs we did get by far

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

That's not Rex's fault, the kid should have had enough sense to realize that that was a private conversation he should have just kept it to himself until the draft was over.

Yeah. If he'd just have kept his mouth shut, he'd have gotten taken later in the draft. That'll teach him

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Actually Austin and his WVU teammate on the other side Stedman Bailey were both drafted by the Rams and they both will do nothing but score touchdowns...I wish Austin was on the Jets! he can score from anywhere on the field, playing any position.

Rex is the adult, Tavon is a 23 year old kid.

Rex is supposed to be a professional, its part of being a HC.

Why do Jets fans have to settle for a HC who continues to be detrimental to this team in so many areas?

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Rex is the adult, Tavon is a 23 year old kid.

Rex is supposed to be a professional, its part of being a HC.

Why do Jets fans have to settle for a HC who continues to be detrimental to this team in so many areas?
    How many players do you hear saying "Coach Harbaugh said he has a plan for me."?

Not as many as Rex's.

Not a chance, and it's got nothing to do with the "rex has a plan" crap. Austin was the top offensive skill position player in this draft, Rex or not, some team's GM was going to fall in love and trade up for him. Especially in front of the team most deplete of offense.

Austin to Jets was a given, every team knew if they wanted him they needed to pick before us.

Veteran

+1 We have too many smidgets as is:

Kerley and Holmes.

Wilson, Lankster, and Trufant.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 224B View Post
    Actually Austin and his WVU teammate on the other side Stedman Bailey were both drafted by the Rams and they both will do nothing but score touchdowns...I wish Austin was on the Jets! he can score from anywhere on the field, playing any position.
    Either of them would've been awesome for us. Obviously everyone knows Tavon is a gamebreaker. But Stedman is no slouch either- he played with Geno since middle school and scored 25 TDs last year.

< sg3's response in an alternate universe where the Jets draft Austin and not Geno > :

"so glad the Jets drafted THE BEST PLAYMAKER IN THE DRAFT, Idzik made a GREAT move

really glad we made all of the moves that we did

congrats to <crappy team> for grabbing Geno so their nearby pizza place can sell slices when he's working there in 3 years"
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-29-2013 at 03:42 AM.

All Pro
    Not sure if you can blame it all on Rex - especially since the key comment came from Austin himself - but I think the Jets do need to get a little better at playing draft poker.

I felt sure pre-draft that the Jets wanted Austin. If I felt this, just from reading comments and watching Press Confs etc, you sure know that other NFL teams - with much more info available - also knew that the Jets wanted Austin. Contrast this to the Bills' approach - no-one knew what QB they wanted until they picked him, and then it was the one that no-one expected. They pullled off their deception beautifully.

I think Woody may be partially to blame also for the Jets' love of Austin becoming clear - I remember his pre-draft quote that the Jets were looking to get "faster and more explosive" or words to that effect. He might as well have just held up a big sign saying "We love Tavon Austin". I also wouldn't put if past Woody having said something to his owner buddies that tipped off the Jets' interest.

Personally, I would have loved a top 3 of Austin - Milliner - Geno. That would have been incredible. I like the 3 guys we got - although I question the role that Richardson will play - but getting Austin would have added some real explosive potential to the O.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 04-29-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Not sure if you can blame it all on Rex - especially since the key comment came from Austin himself
    Thank you.

Coaches say things like this to kids they are planning on drafting all the time - you are pretty foolish if you think otherwise. The difference is that most of the time, the draftee's have enough sense not to talk about those conversations until after the draft.

All this really tells me is that Austin is not too terribly bright.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-29-2013 at 05:05 AM.

All Pro
    Thank you.

Coaches say things like this to kids they are planning on drafting all the time - you are pretty foolish if you think otherwise. The difference is that most of the time, the draftee's have enough sense not to talk about those conversations until after the draft.

All this really tells me is that Austin is not too terribly bright.
    This is all certainly true. Not all the Jets fault at all - although I still think they can learn from the draft poker smokescreens that other teams play.

And yeah, Austin...doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box. Terrific and explosive player though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    < sg3's response in an alternate universe where the Jets draft Austin and not Geno > :

"so glad the Jets drafted THE BEST PLAYMAKER IN THE DRAFT, Idzik made a GREAT move

really glad we made all of the moves that we did

congrats to <crappy team> for grabbing Geno so their nearby pizza place can sell slices when he's working there in 3 years"
    Get lost Shat troll.

Go trade yourself out of here