Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How Sanchez/Smith can end up resembling Pennington/Clemens

  1. #1

    How Sanchez/Smith can end up resembling Pennington/Clemens

    In 2006, The New York Jets had a new regime at the helm. The new head coach was Eric Mangini and the team's newly appointed general manager was Mike Tannenbaum. The Jets went into that years draft with a whole new focus and after using their first two first round picks on two excellent players in D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold. The Jets then drafted a quarterback in round two in Kellen Clemens. Chad Pennington was the incumbent starter for the Jets and his grip on the starting job was slipping away.

    Kellen was unable to unseat Chad Pennington as the Jets starter and Chad and the Jets made the playoffs in 2006. Kellen Clemens would get spot duty as a starter in 2007 when Pennington struggled. Chad would be let go in 2008 when the regime decided to take the plunge with Brett Favre. We all know how promising that looked before it ended poorly for the franchise and the Rex Ryan era would follow Favre. Kellen Clemens would get another shot to be a starter when the Jets drafted Mark Sanchez but Mark won the job in 09 and Kellen would finish his Jets career in 2010 before heading to St.Louis.

    Here we are now with Mark Sanchez looking like he has one foot out the door after a new general manager has appeared to draft his replacement in round 2 in Geno Smith. Anything can happen between now and the start of the 2013 season but I wouldn't bank on Geno Smith being the opening day starter nor would I guarantee that he is the new franchise quarterback. It's up to Sanchez to save his career and it's up to Geno to develop and earn the right to become the team's next franchise quarterback. Something Kellen Clemens was never able to do.

  2. #2
    The difference is that Pennington was healthy in '06, and when he was healthy, he was an above average NFL QB. Mark Sanchez is not that.

  3. #3
    No one wanted Pennington off THAT team just like no one wants Mark Sanchez on THIS team.

  4. #4
    Smith is also a much better prospect than Clemens ever was.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    No one wanted Pennington off THAT team just like no one wants Mark Sanchez on THIS team.
    I agree to an extent. There were a strong majority of Jets fans that became tiresome of Chad, His less than stellar arm and history of injuries. The organization tried to bring in competition for Pennington in former high draft pick Patrick Ramsey but he couldn't unseat Chad. The drafting of Clemens was done with the idea of pushing Pennington out in my opinion. Kellen never proved to be worthy of being the guy.

    I wouldn't rule out Mark winning the job this offseason. Starting the season as the starter, stinking up the joint for 4 games and then being replaced by David Garrard until the team falls completely out of contention. Once that happens, The keys are officially turned over to Geno Smith by seasons end. It's in the best interest of Geno Smith and the Jets that he doesn't start opening day unless he legitimately earns it. I see David Garrard as the perfect mentor to Geno.

    As for Mark, I really do think that if he's here. He will improve and perform better than he has in the past because of Marty and the return of Santonio. How much better remains to be seen.
    Last edited by LeonM; 04-28-2013 at 09:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Smith is also a much better prospect than Clemens ever was.
    I agree but there is a big difference between being a first round qb and being a 2nd round pick. Geno Smith has no guarantees in my eyes and I still feel like he needs more time to develop. The pecking order right now should be Sanchez and then Garrard and then Geno. Geno should sit and learn. In a strange way, It's similar to Miami's QB situation last year which Garrard was a part of. Sanchez is Matt Moore, incumbent starter, Smith is the rookie and Garrard is the veteran bridge. Its funny that Garrard was Miami's projected opening day starter before he got injured.
    Last edited by LeonM; 04-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    No one wanted Pennington off THAT team just like no one wants Mark Sanchez on THIS team.
    Don't remember it that way. Pennington was reviled, 99% of the posters here hated him. Nearly everybody thought Clemens was a stud. The "Kellen Clemens doesn't read defenses" thread, which was a Chuck Norris meme, had over 1000 posts I think

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,252
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    I agree but there is a big difference between being a first round qb and being a 2nd round pick. Geno Smith has no guarantees in my eyes and I still feel like he needs more time to develop. The pecking order right now should be Sanchez and the Garrard and then Geno.
    Agree with you on all points

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    I agree to an extent. There were a strong majority of Jets fans that became tiresome of Chad, His less than stellar arm and history of injuries. The organization tried to bring in competition for Pennington in former high draft pick Patrick Ramsey but he couldn't unseat Chad. The drafting of Clemens was done with the idea of pushing Pennington out in my opinion. Kellen never proved to be worthy of being the guy.

    I wouldn't rule out Mark winning the job this offseason. Starting the season as the starter, stinking up the joint for 4 games and then being replaced by David Garrard until the team falls completely out of contention. Once that happens, The keys are officially turned over to Geno Smith by seasons end. It's in the best interest of Geno Smith and the Jets that he doesn't start opening day unless he legitimately earns it. I see David Garrard as the perfect mentor to Geno.

    As for Mark, I really do think that if he's here. He will improve and perform better than he has in the past because of Marty and the return of Santonio. How much better remains in the seen.
    It's just my opinion, but based on what Idzik has said about Sanchez my guess is he's not going to be a Jet much beyond June.

    I think they are all in on Geno being the Qb of the future. If true, Sanchez serves no purpose except to continue to keep a circus environment for the media to feed off of and create distractions that will only serve to hurt this team.

    Idzik doesn't want this, just like Revis (and the drama that comes with him) is gone, so too will Sanchez.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Don't remember it that way. Pennington was reviled, 99% of the posters here hated him. Nearly everybody thought Clemens was a stud. The "Kellen Clemens doesn't read defenses" thread, which was a Chuck Norris meme, had over 1000 posts I think
    You might be right. I know I was a Pennington fan, so perhaps I'm biased...
    Sort of like the Sanchez supporters now...

    But I do think the difference is that most wanted to see a QB competition then... While I think most would just like to see Sanchez cut now...

    But that could just be my own biases showing through yet again . :-)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    It's just my opinion, but based on what Idzik has said about Sanchez my guess is he's not going to be a Jet much beyond June.

    I think they are all in on Geno being the Qb of the future. If true, Sanchez serves no purpose except to continue to keep a circus environment for the media to feed off of and create distractions that will only serve to hurt this team.

    Idzik doesn't want this, just like Revis (and the drama that comes with him) is gone, so too will Sanchez.
    I think Sanchez survives being cut until atleast right before the season starts. Similar to Seattle last year, Tarvaris Jackson was the incumbent starter, Matt Flynn was the veteran signing and Russell Wilson was the 3rd round pick. Wilson legitimately won the competition. A minor upset as well. Jackson was traded right before the season started. Flynn backed up Wilson.

    My guess with the Jets is that if Sanchez gets cut prematurely. David Garrard is the teams opening day starter unless Geno pulls a Wilson this summer. Garrard is the perfect mentor/veteran bridge for Geno. The Jets might actually win a couple of games at the start of the season with Garrard as the starter. Unlike Sanchez, David is not going to lose the game for your team on boneheaded plays.

  12. #12
    Kellen Clemens was awful. You guys must be trying to jinx Geno by comparing the two of them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us