Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The real value in the Revis trade

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

The real value in the Revis trade

Everyone is so focused on the first round pick(Sheldon Richardson) and next year's 3rd round pick. The real value is in the money that the franchise saved per season. Because Revis's 16 million dollar a year contract is off the books. The Jets will be able to sign multiple free agents per year for less than what they would have had to pay Revis alone for each season. The team is going to be able to sign multiple free agents each offseason for the next five years because Revis is no longer on the team.

So it's Sheldon Richardson, next years 3rd round pick and the multiple players that the Jets will be able to sign each offseason for the next 5 years. That's the real value in the trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Everyone is so focused on the first round pick(Sheldon Richardson) and next year's 3rd round pick. The real value is in the money that the franchise saved per season. Because Revis's 16 million dollar a year contract is off the books. The Jets will be able to sign multiple free agents per year for less than what they would have had to pay Revis alone for each season. The team is going to be able to sign multiple free agents each offseason for the next five years because Revis is no longer on the team.

So it's Sheldon Richardson, next years 3rd round pick and the multiple players that the Jets will be able to sign each offseason for the next 5 years. That's the real value in the trade.
    Not to mention the joy I'll feel when Revis holds out again.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    or doesnt return to his old "elite corner" self after ACL tear

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The real value in the Revis trade

The real benefit will come when the Revis threads go away.

Same for Tebow and Sanchez.

But I agree. The money saved is nice. But we need to spend it wisely.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The real benefit will come when the Revis threads go away.
    Revis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sheastadiumjetfan View Post
    or doesnt return to his old "elite corner" self after ACL tear

Rooting for another injury for Revis is classless and def not what I'm looking for. However, if he returns next season and doesn't have the quickness, agility and motor that he's had the past four years??? Fine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The key to success in the NFL is good drafts. With rookie wages capped for 4-5 years, they are cheap labor that allow teams to thrive. Paying $20+ million per year to Revis and Cromartie would have been impossible.

They had to get past paying insane money to Revis. Next year's budget won't have that $16m hole to cover up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing. Instead of concentrating the money on one player they can spread it out to create depth throughout the team.

Next year Sanchez, Holmes and perhaps Cromartie will be gone to return over $30M per year for signing more players. Can't we just skip this season and move right into the free agency period and draft next year. Can't wait.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Rooting for another injury for Revis is classless and def not what I'm looking for. However, if he returns next season and doesn't have the quickness, agility and motor that he's had the past four years??? Fine.
    Nobody said they were rooting for another injury to anyone.

WTF are you talking about?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't we just sign terrible players! They are really cheap!

Trading your best player after an injury, and a 2 month long media blitz where you make it clear you are

1. Trading him no matter what
    2. Alienating him with leaks to the press about how greedy and selfish he is

Is moronic. SAR said earlier and I agree, (paraphrased) trading Revis was an idea worth exploring but the execution was terrible. I can't get over it. It was a colossal mistake. I'm tired of debating it. It's done. Once you see Milliner in there and he makes his classic rookie mistakes and you realize he'll NEVER be as good as Revis was you'll all see it too.

It was a stupid trade forced by a stupid owner who made things personal. This team could have easily made the playoffs next year, now it will be an uphill battle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My initial empty feeling once we lost Revis has been creeping towards relief...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post

Trading your best player after an injury, and a 2 month long media blitz where you make it clear you are

Is moronic. SAR said earlier and I agree, (paraphrased) trading Revis was an idea worth exploring but the execution was terrible. I can't get over it. It was a colossal mistake. I'm tired of debating it. It's done. Once you see Milliner in there and he makes his classic rookie mistakes and you realize he'll NEVER be as good as Revis was you'll all see it too.

It was a stupid trade forced by a stupid owner who made things personal. This team could have easily made the playoffs next year, now it will be an uphill battle.
    I was not a fan of the Revis trade and I was vocal about it, but I am looking ahead now, what's done is done.

I am however as you are, very concerned about our owners role not just in the Revis transaction, but also in the Holmes signing ($24M guaranteed - ludicrous) and the Tebow transaction. I remember how he came out talking like Holmes was the greatest player in history. If the Revis transaction doesn't work out you can point the finger squarely at Woody. Make that a middle finger BTW.

I can't stand owners that meddle. Ours meddle's and hides behind the GM, that's the most disgusting thing of all.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 04-28-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typo

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Just move on bro. Get over it. GREEDY PUNK got his money.
    GP moved on, why can't you?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    I was not a fan of the Revis trade and I was vocal about it, but I am looking ahead now, what's done is done.

I am however as you are, very concerned about our owners role not just in the Revis transaction, but also in the Holmes signing ($24M guaranteed - ludicrous) and the Tebow transaction. I remember how he came out talking like Holmes was the greatest player in history. If the Revis transaction doesn't work out you can point the finger squarely at Woody. Make that a middle finger BTW.

I can't stand owners that meddle. Ours meddle's and hides behind the GM, that's the most disgusting thing of all.
    I too didn't want Revis traded. I hope he returns to his HOF level but a non factor in the Tampa Jet game. I want to see him get to the HOF with the Jets being mentioned as the team he rose with. I hope Milliner rises to the same level and stays with the Jets long term. I'm tired of seeing good players leav the Jets because of money. Abraham will be a HOF because he was a game changer when he played. I hated the Hugh Douglas trade too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    My initial empty feeling once we lost Revis has been creeping towards relief...

We learned last year that our pass defense can hold its own without him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Let's try and build a crew of guys with chips on their shoulders and grudges tightly held, carrying lunch boxes and ready to bring the pain and the compete for a job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fall under the thinking that you grab WRs in free agency after another team has got them up to speed.
    WR is a position that few players come out of the gate ready to contribute.
    Sure you can draft a few, but you want to sprinkle in some veterans as mentors.
    In the few games that Holmes, Hill & Kerley played together, each of them was getting open pretty easily.
    In fact, the thing I noticed about Hill was the separation he was getting, if not for his bad hands he would have easily had a couple more TDs.
    With the addition of Ivory & Goodson, RBs that if they get through a crease if u play 8 man fronts are a threat to take it all the way, changes how defenses will play this year compared to Greene who was the worst RB after contact in the league with no top end speed.
    Each of these small changes has direct impact on our WRs & forcing teams to adjust to our offense, rather than last year when defenses pretty much dictated what we could do, which was not much.
    So, the cap relief provided by the Revis trade, allows you to sign at least 3 very good FAs to fill out this roster on offense next year.
    Last edited by jetster; 04-29-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the GM.....Revis's agent makes you an offer of $16M per year with none of it guaranteed. Are you going to take it?

You're the GM....is there any other defensive player in the NFL that is comparable to Revis?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the GM.....Revis's agent makes you an offer of $16M per year with none of it guaranteed. Are you going to take it?

You're the GM....is there any other defensive player in the NFL that is comparable to Revis?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly. Keeping Revis would have eliminated the Jets from being legitimate players in free agency for the next 5 years. It would have been bargain basement signings every offseason.

With Revis gone. The Jets can now build their team by being able to sign quality free agents each offseason. It's simple math. Revis counts as 16 million towards the cap each season. Over 5 seasons, That's 80 million dollars of cap room saved, Sheldon Richardson will probably average 2 to 3 million dollar a year for the next 5 years. That's 13 extra million dollars a season that can be used towards building the team. You can sign up to 4 premiere free agents per offseason with that type of room. 5 years, That's 20 players. So 20 players, Richardson and a 3rd round pick vs one great player. No brainer.

As far as execution. Name me the other team that was going to give the Jets more than what Tampa did. First off, Jets got a top 15 pick and a 3rd rounder a year earlier than they would have had they let Revis walk free. Jets would have had to wait till the 2015 draft to get a 3rd round compensatory selection. Second, every team would love to have Revis on their roster. Only a few can actually fit him under their cap. Tampa was one of the only few and they did the Jets a favor because there were no other takers.

The Revis deal is more than just about Milliner, Richardson and next years #3.
    Last edited by LeonM; 04-29-2013 at 08:56 AM.