Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN article by Rich Cimini

ESPN article by Rich Cimini

He said exactly what I said on my last thread in bold. I'm starting to think Rich is as smart as me...

Some day-after thoughts on the Jets' draft:

DELAY OF GAME: You'd like to think GM John Idzik has a plan for his six-pack of quarterbacks and, for the sake of those involved, he should execute it quickly -- or at least clarify it. It does no good to leave them hanging in limbo, and it perpetuates the "circus" perception that irks so many in the organization. Ironically, the one with the most security is rookie Geno Smith. The other five are in the dark, wondering about their role -- or if they'll have a role. Idzik should clean up the mess ASAP, because the last you want to do is expose the newbie -- Smith -- to the dysfunction.

TOUCHDOWN: Look at it this way: The Jets landed the best cornerback (Dee Milliner), the best defensive tackle (Sheldon Richardson) and the best quarterback. It's a productive draft whenever you can grab three "bests." You can question the idea of picking Smith, but you can't argue he was a good value in the second round.

FIRST DOWN: Idzik's first draft was right out of the Seahawks' playbook. In other words, there was a lot of meat and potatoes -- four linemen and a fullback, no first-round quarterback and no running backs. While Idzik was a member of their front office, the Seahawks used four of six first-round picks on linemen, never took a running back before the fourth round and grabbed QB Russell Wilson in the third. Pretty similar.

FORWARD PROGRESS: The Jets may have drafted three-fifths of their 2014 offensive line -- G Brian Winters (third round), T Oday Aboushi (fifth) and G Will Campbell (sixth). Winters and Campbell will learn a year behind stop-gap veterans Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman, and Aboushi could replace RT Austin Howard if he leaves via free agency. If not, Aboushi could be thrown into the guard mix.

ILLEGAL PROCEDURE: One of the problems with drafting so many big bodies is that it limits the pool of candidates for special teams. The Jets need linebacker/safety/tight end types that can run and hit on return and coverage units. They needed those type of players to bolster a unit that showed significant signs of decay last season.

FALSE START: The Rams really messed up the Jets' plans. If they hadn't traded up to No. 8 to take WR Tavon Austin, it would've left Austin for the Jets at No. 9. Then, with the 13th pick, they probably would've gotten Milliner. The Raiders picked CB D.J. Hayden, whom they reportedly favored over Milliner. The Jets would've been giddy with Austin and Milliner, the top two players on their draftboard.

HOLDING: The Jets failed to address a few glaring needs, namely safety, tight end and wide receiver. People can rationalize it by saying he didn't reach to fill needs, but let's see if those same people are complaining about the lack of offensive explosiveness in the fall.

What's this about Howard leaving via free agency? Did I miss something?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    What's this about Howard leaving via free agency? Did I miss something?
    In 2014.

Decent but this one might be his best work ever

Idzik settling Jets' family business
    New GM has changed everything -- from culture to roster -- in just six days
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...amily-business

"Change can be hard. In this case, change is good. Instead of trying to make chicken salad out of you-know-what, Idzik just dumped out the bowl and started over."
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 04-29-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Last point says it all really.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post

"Change can be hard. In this case, change is good. Instead of trying to make chicken salad out of you-know-what, Idzik just dumped out the bowl and started over."
    It's pretty unsettling that Cimini feels the same way about Idzik that I do.

I never thought I would see the day that we agreed about anything Jets related.

Hall Of Fame
    Austin and Milliner were the top 2 players on the Jets board?

I hope that is a lie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The ST comment is a minor but also legit. STs is usually comprised of hungry 5th round LBs and Safeties. It will be interesting to see who those guys are as we didn't take any this year. I guess guys like Josh Mauga will be filling the back end of the roster, but we need to fill those spots in the coming years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    In 2014.
    In 2014 the Jet will have 40 million in cap space. We won't need to fill a spot with a bad 6th rounder if we don't want.

As for the article - it starts with typical Cimini bs - who cares if he clears up the QB situation to the press or the players themselves for that matter. I'm sure he has a plan and he will execute on it when he believes is right for the jets.
    The media believes the team is there for them, just because they don't tell Cimini doesn't mean they don't have a plan.

Jets Insider VIP
    I disagree in this respect crash...

historically special teams guys are lunchpail non-starters who try and impress on ST in order to keep their spot on the 45 man roster AND someday become a starter..

I prefer that we drafted guys who are good values and might become starters because of their talent as opposed to our GM handing out draft picks to the ST coordinator as if they were M&Ms or some other worthless trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

historically special teams guys are lunchpail non-starters who try and impress on ST in order to keep their spot on the 45 man roster AND someday become a starter..

I prefer that we drafted guys who are good values and might become starters because of their talent as opposed to our GM handing out draft picks to the ST coordinator as if they were M&Ms or some other worthless trinkets
    This is absolutely right!

Cimini was really reaching with this one. Had to find a flaw and went with the- he didn't draft back-ups to play special teams? Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Yesss - very correct. In the past I believe that the Jets did draft players they thought would be special team deamons but they never mastered a position and that the wrong approach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Its not a major deal, but I like to see rookies come in and make their way on the roster via special teams. It doesn't mean that they were drafted for that express purpose (I'm not suggesting that), but guys who bust their ass in any way possible to make the squad.

We didn't really pick anyone up in that respect. I'm not suggesting they should have done anything differently, but the ST aspect is a by product of how the draft went. So be it. I'm sure Tommy Bohanon will become a ST mainstay (if he makes the team) rather quickly, but besides that, we didn't draft any LB/Safeties, so we will have a limited # of young guys trying to make their way on the team via that route. Again, not really a big deal, but it is something worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I hope that is a lie.
    I was thinking this the other day as well. I 'm guessing that the Jets conceded that the 3 tackles and Dion would be gone by pick #9, so these were the top guys on the board under that scenario. Also, think Cooper might have been #1 on list, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I was thinking this the other day as well. I 'm guessing that the Jets conceded that the 3 tackles and Dion would be gone by pick #9, so these were the top guys on the board under that scenario. Also, think Cooper might have been #1 on list, but who knows?
    i'm glad the jets didn't take austin. it's not just the player and his lack of size, it's the overall fit. the rams is a perfect situation for him b/c they play in a dome. that's where he'll do best. let them take a true #1 wr in next year's draft.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

Cimini was really reaching with this one. Had to find a flaw and went with the- he didn't draft back-ups to play special teams? Come on!
    Well, he was nit-picking, but he was right. Special teams needs some young linebacker/ running back types. very minor problem though.

I keep saying it. Cimini is putting some real good stuff out there lately, I have had no problem with anything he has said in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Well, he was nit-picking, but he was right. Special teams needs some young linebacker/ running back types. very minor problem though.

I keep saying it. Cimini is putting some real good stuff out there lately, I have had no problem with anything he has said in quite some time.
    that's b/c he's not trying to sell newspapers anymore. that's the problem with working for the daily news.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

BUMP BUMP. What other team would ever be criticized because there draft didnt target enough specail teams players....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post

Unusually balanced for Cimini.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I hope that is a lie.
    Why? Everyones mocks had Floyd as a top 4 player and he went in the 20s. This draft was very average across the top. No reason why a team couldn't value Austin that high. Obviously one other team rated him pretty high as they jumped up to get him.