Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Play Geno

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Do Not Play Geno

I do hope they don't throw Geno to the lions. With the porous offensive line, and the lack of real threats, I don't see him succeeding. Maybe you start Gerrrad and replace him with Sanchez when he gets injured (probably week two). Then you improve your offense next year and let Geno have a go.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    O line will not be pourous. Stupid statement there. Brick and Mangold are all-pro as always. Colon is a stud as long as he's healthy. Howard was more than serviceable last year, and from everything we're hearing, Winters is an NFL-ready pick that most on these boards are calling a stud. So...no.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez can start with only one year of college experience Geno sure as hell can after starting for three years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What "porous" O Line? Reason why Marky Mark took so many hits is becuase he held on to the ball too long waiting for a risk-free throw, trying to limit his INTs. No O Line can hold up forever, jsut like no DB's can cover forever.

MM's system should hopefully allow the QB - be it Mark or Geno - to get rid of the ball quickly, and reduce the amount of hits / sacks / QB fumbles this year. Everyone will then sign the praises of our O Line again, especially if our running game gets going again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    What "porous" O Line? Reason why Marky Mark took so many hits is becuase he held on to the ball too long waiting for a risk-free throw, trying to limit his INTs. No O Line can hold up forever, jsut like no DB's can cover forever.

MM's system should hopefully allow the QB - be it Mark or Geno - to get rid of the ball quickly, and reduce the amount of hits / sacks / QB fumbles this year. Everyone will then sign the praises of our O Line again, especially if our running game gets going again.
    Sanchez took too many hits because Sparano and Rex's G&P put him in too many unfavorable passing situations. The Jets had no semblance of a running game, was that on the rb's or the Oline ??? In addition Sanchez held the ball too long because he had a group of inexperienced ragtag wr's who had no clue where they needed to be in routes.

Your second point sums it up perfectly and I agree. But the lingering million dollar question - Will Rex let MM run the show on O ??? How about after a game where they turn it over 3-4 times ??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year, Jets rated 6th in sacks allowed. Beyond that, the Jets really have done little to get talented receivers for the QB to go to. You want Geno to succeed if and when he takes over the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    If Sanchez can start with only one year of college experience Geno sure as hell can after starting for three years.
    Exactly. Geno starts week 1. Stop being p#ssys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Exactly. Geno starts week 1. Stop being p#ssys.
    You give Geno the best chance to succeed. I think Garrard will be our starter week 1. Geno will get packages to run. Sanchez will be off the team prior to the start of the regular season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    You give Geno the best chance to succeed. I think Garrard will be our starter week 1. Geno will get packages to run. Sanchez will be off the team prior to the start of the regular season.
    From your mouth to God's ears. But I would love to see Sanchez hang around and take the battering this year. You want your rookie QB to have the best chance to succeed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Last year, Jets rated 6th in sacks allowed. Beyond that, the Jets really have done little to get talented receivers for the QB to go to. You want Geno to succeed if and when he takes over the position.
    Yeah, let someone else deal with the craptastic sh!ite, amirite?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm split on starting Geno.
    These days offensive coordinators seem to have a lot of success with first year athletic QB's like Cam, RBII & Wilson. I'm hoping that would be the case with Geno.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he proves to be the best QB in camp, start him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have to play him.
    The thought of passing on a QB next year because they don't know what they have with Geno is sickening.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    my opinion is more nuanced:

Mark Sanchez is the starting qb of this team. No different than Alex Smith and Kaepernick in SF. If Mark ****s the bed, then Geno replaces him halfway through the season to see what we got. We get a high pick and can determine if we go with franchise qb. Mark is released in offseason. On the other hand, let's say Mark takes well to the WCO. We finish 8-8 or 9-7 (just can't see us making the playoffs). We end up with a pick in the teens, where we are not getting the franchise qb. Geno is on deck, and we have options for whether to keep Mark or trade him next offseason. What's wrong with that plan? Why sell low on Sanchez, see if we can increase his value in what is a rebuilding year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So Milliner replacing Revis is too much pressure, but throwing Geno to the lions (media and fans) fresh off the circus/controversy isn't?

New system, new O'line, not a lot of weapons....starting Geno would be stupid! Let things settle down first. Let Geno learn the playbook and get acclimated to the nfl first. Allow MM to install the system and bring him along gradually, that's the right way to do it. I know the old approach of having a QB sit and learn (hopefully from a good vet) isn't popular anymore, but I think this situation is different.

Geno Smith would be under a microscope much more than our new CB. I'm hoping The Jets show a little patience and put some distance between this new era and the embarrassment of last season before putting the kid into the New York pressure cooker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    my opinion is more nuanced:

Mark Sanchez is the starting qb of this team. No different than Alex Smith and Kaepernick in SF. If Mark ****s the bed, then Geno replaces him halfway through the season to see what we got. We get a high pick and can determine if we go with franchise qb. Mark is released in offseason. On the other hand, let's say Mark takes well to the WCO. We finish 8-8 or 9-7 (just can't see us making the playoffs). We end up with a pick in the teens, where we are not getting the franchise qb. Geno is on deck, and we have options for whether to keep Mark or trade him next offseason. What's wrong with that plan? Why sell low on Sanchez, see if we can increase his value in what is a rebuilding year.
    This is precisely what the Jets are going to do. Anyone wanting to "just let Sanchez go" after the Jets FO ineptitude is just not taking the time to think it all through.

See Idzik unlike his predecessor seems to have thematic strategy or concept for how he wants this team to look like and how it should be built something Tanny really never had

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we let training camp play itself out before we even think about what might be best for the team?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The line will be fine. That being said, my current position would be to start Gerrard at first and let the kid learn

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The O-Line will not be a weak unit.

The best players play, period.

If thats Geno Smith, so be it.

The era of having the luxury to sit a drafted QB for three years to "learn" ended a long time ago, and Smith will "lear" very little sitting behind Mark Sanchez anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    They have to play him.
    The thought of passing on a QB next year because they don't know what they have with Geno is sickening.
    I think that whoever starts this yr will have earned the job, unlike in the recent past. If it turns out they are not sold on geno and they have the opportunity to draft someone else they think is better, then I'm certain they will next year. Geno was a 2nd rounder so his salary is not a cap-killer. He can stay as a back-up or be flipped for a pick even if things don't work out.