Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Play Geno

Quarterback's don't sit anymore and I can't take another second of Sensitive 6.

Let him grow some balls and learn how to lose.

Play Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    The era of having the luxury to sit a drafted QB for three years to "learn" ended a long time ago, and Smith will "lear" very little sitting behind Mark Sanchez anyway.
    Not true. Aron Rodgers is a great example and Nassib will be another good example. If you have an established qb, you can let the guy sit. When the qbs on your roster are awful, you give the guy every opp to play.
    Last edited by Joe W. Namath; 04-29-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Quarterback's don't sit anymore and I can't take another second of Sensitive 6.

Let him grow some balls and learn how to lose.

Play Geno.
    I totally disagree with this. Just because QBs were successful last year, it doesn't mean you should always start a QB from day one. Plus, starting a QB without a lot of weapons is dangerous. I get the feeling that everyone is treating the Geno pick like it was a first round draft pick, they need to play him. But the truth is, he was drafted in the 2nd round. Not unlike Kapernick or Brees. It doesn't have to be this way, but it's funny. There should be a whole lot less pressure on Smith because he's a 2nd round pick, but it doesn't work that way.

See how he does in training camp. If he looks equal to the other guys, you go with him. If he struggles a bit, let him sit until the season has fallen apart or maybe the entire year if that is how it plays out

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I do hope they don't throw Geno to the lions. With the porous offensive line, and the lack of real threats, I don't see him succeeding. Maybe you start Gerrrad and replace him with Sanchez when he gets injured (probably week two). Then you improve your offense next year and let Geno have a go.
    They definitely should see how the OL is performing and if they have a running game before they put Smith in. If they have it, then I think everything is good. Put Geno in and start the learning curve for him.

If not? Then wait until the season is lost (and if they have a poor OL and running game, the season will be lost very quickly) and put him in with very low expectations. Just try to get his feet wet and get him doing the things that he does best to build his confidence.

All Pro
    I am leaning toward letting him sit, after what happened with Sanchez, but if he outright wins the job in camp (a la Russell Wilson) then send him out there, he seems like he's a competitor, and there isn't much pressure because no one expects anything out of the team this year. Bringing in Goodson/Ivory should solidify the running game for Geno as well...

I'm just ecstatic that we have MM to bring this guy up to speed instead of Sporano/Schotty!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sanchez started ONE SEASON in college as opposed to Geno starting three. Geno is far more NFL ready than Sanchez ever was according to most experts. Comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges. I say that unless Geno ****s the bed in the preseason, he should be the starter game 1. It would benefit the Jets to see what they have in Geno, and if he performs poorly, the worst thing that happens is that the Jets lose a lot of games and draft another Qb next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    Sanchez started ONE SEASON in college as opposed to Geno starting three. Geno is far more NFL ready than Sanchez ever was according to most experts. Comparing the two situations is like comparing apples to oranges. I say that unless Geno ****s the bed in the preseason, he should be the starter game 1. It would benefit the Jets to see what they have in Geno, and if he performs poorly, the worst thing that happens is that the Jets lose a lot of games and draft another Qb next year.
    Geno played a lot more games in college, but Sanchez's offense was more similar to a pro offense. So that balances Smith's advantage in games played.

If he earns the starting job, he should get it. But he should have to earn it, by beating out Garrard, and Sanchez if we don't just cut him first (we should), and anyone else we have. Wouldn't mind having Garrard play until he inevitably gets injured, but if Geno earns it in preseason he gets the job.

In any case Geno should be playing at some point this season, at the very least so we see what we have.

Veteran
    I say let him carry a clip board for at least 8 games. Start Garrard.

I think the Seahawks' approach is the best way to go. If Geno shows he's ready and convincingly wins the job in camp, let him start.

Hall Of Fame
    Sitting on the bench is not going to do the Jets or Smith any good. Franchise caliber QBs play their first year. Unless Geno is just abysmal in training camp, or has trouble learning the offense, he should play ASAP. The Jets need to see what they have so they can approach next off season with a plan of building around Geno or if they look at another QB in the draft.

Just follow what the Panthers did with Clausen.

They let Matt Moore start, he got hurt, Clausen came in sucked it up. And then they get Newton with next years #1 pick.

Let Garrard start us off, Geno comes in, if he sucks we have a high pick for a shot at a better QB. If he plays well, then we're in good shape. Screw waiting. We don't have that luxury.

I do hope they don't throw Geno to the lions. With the porous offensive line, and the lack of real threats, I don't see him succeeding. Maybe you start Gerrrad and replace him with Sanchez when he gets injured (probably week two). Then you improve your offense next year and let Geno have a go.
    He will have a good OL, better RB's and WR's should be better also than Sanchez had last year. Plus the defense will help also. If MM thinks he can start then so do I.

JETS IMPROVE PERSONNEL--BUT TEAM HAS TO MESH; INCREASE OFFENSE SKILL

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I am leaning toward letting him sit, after what happened with Sanchez, but if he outright wins the job in camp (a la Russell Wilson) then send him out there, he seems like he's a competitor, and there isn't much pressure because no one expects anything out of the team this year. Bringing in Goodson/Ivory should solidify the running game for Geno as well...

I'm just ecstatic that we have MM to bring this guy up to speed instead of Sporano/Schotty!!
    ...2013 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Regardless of their other picks, the Jets' draft has to be considered a success because they can finally move on from Mark Sanchez. Geno Smith, drafted in the second round, will be the team's quarterback going forward. To avoid a controversy that capsized the team last year, they need to cut Sanchez. They need to get past that ugly era.

The problem is that Smith doesn't have much to work with. Santonio Holmes will be back, but he's unreliable. Stephen Hill is still raw. Chris Ivory, acquired for a mid-round pick, will at least be a better option than Shonn Greene in the backfield. However, the offensive line is still a major question mark. The Jets drafted Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi as potential upgrades, but they may not be ready to start in 2013.

New York should be better defensively. The defensive line is as strong as ever with Sheldon Richardson joining Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples, while Dee Milliner fortifies a cornerback group that of course lost Darrelle Revis. Questions remain at inside linebacker and safety, but this was a 2-year rebuilding project.

Mike Tannenbaum ruined this team with his poor draft picks and terrible contracts, but new general manager John Idzik appears to be doing a good job of bringing this franchise back to prominence.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    If Sanchez can start with only one year of college experience Geno sure as hell can after starting for three years.
    Yes, that worked so well last time.

I hope Geno starts around Thanksgiving. Let him learn for at least half a season.

Gotta start him.
    This is the new NFL.
    Sanchez got so bad that he didn't know what the hell he was doing.
    Run, slide, red, yellow, green, the dude was LOST!
    His feel for the rush was so bad, how many times did he run sideways or backwards, only to get tripped up by an ankle.

Though Geno is a pocket passer, if he learns to sense the rush, & run for a few 1st downs, I think he's athletic enough to be pretty nimble.
    Rules in college compared to the NFL are huge when it comes to hitting the QB.

Take advantage of these new rules, hell, he can now throw more passes over the middle & in the seams, where in the past your receiver got his head taken off. Now, with this new defenseless receiver rule these young guys have a lot more space to throw in than in the past.

I think Martys playcalling is gonna be like a revelation to us Jet fans. We already know that our chances of the playoffs will be slim, so open things up, take some chances in the 2nd half of the season. Add more plays, groom him to throw the whole route tree by the end of the season.

There really is no pressure this year & most realistic Jet fans are just hoping for the best & looking for improvement from the young guys as the season progresses.

Of course if we come out & stuff the muscle hampster, sack Freeman 7 times, & win our 1st game....... SUPERBOWL BABY!
    We are of course Jet fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Just follow what the Panthers did with Clausen.

They let Matt Moore start, he got hurt, Clausen came in sucked it up. And then they get Newton with next years #1 pick.

Let Garrard start us off, Geno comes in, if he sucks we have a high pick for a shot at a better QB. If he plays well, then we're in good shape. Screw waiting. We don't have that luxury.
    I like this plan, though I'm really not sure why a plan needs to be established in April.

Geno lights it up in training camp = start immediately
    Geno shows flashes, but struggles in spots = Garrard starts the first few, Smith comes in when the offense needs a jolt
    Geno looks terrible in camp = he gets the final four games. Unless he plays well then, Jets should consider a top QB in 2014 if they're in position to get one.

That's the beauty of him falling to #39...there's no full-fledged commitment in any way.

We basically have to play him. Next season is a deep class at QB, so you want to know if Geno is the guy going forward. He doesn't need to light the world on fire as a starter but he has to show you enough that you feel good about not drafting another guy next year

Our line isn't that bad in pass protection, Mark made it look worse than it was. They struggled run blocking, part of that was Greene being a scrub and part of it was genuinely the fault of the line, but Winters is supposedly an excellent run blocker and hopefully with new talent in the backfield we're able to give Geno good support in the run game.

Lots of QBs struggle their first year and turn out well. If you've got a good mindset then struggling your first season is just part of the learning process, it doesn't actually rattle you...Sanchez, sadly, did seem to get rattled and never progressed mentally as a QB, that isn't something you can really fix with coaching, its part of a players temperament

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    They definitely should see how the OL is performing and if they have a running game before they put Smith in. If they have it, then I think everything is good. Put Geno in and start the learning curve for him.

If not? Then wait until the season is lost (and if they have a poor OL and running game, the season will be lost very quickly) and put him in with very low expectations. Just try to get his feet wet and get him doing the things that he does best to build his confidence.
    Well more then the OL line, last year's receivers were just not getting open. That resulted in Sanchez (who is basically clueless to begin with) holding on to the ball too long. Holmes is back, but I see a downgrade at TE and neither Hill or Kerley put the fear of God in defenses.

From your mouth to God's ears. But I would love to see Sanchez hang around and take the battering this year. You want your rookie QB to have the best chance to succeed.
    Nice. Well, he sure does have enough experience with that feature.

LOL @ weapons being good enough for once QB to work with but not another.