Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PICK 13- SHELDON RICHARDSON.. VERSATILE 3-4 OR 4-3

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking PICK 13- SHELDON RICHARDSON.. VERSATILE 3-4 OR 4-3

=The selling point for Kelly, now in his second year as a Jets personnel scout, was a game against Texas A&M where Richardson dropped back to middle linebacker and spied quarterback Johnny Manziel, the eventual Hesiman Trophy winner and one of the most elusive quarterbacks in college football.

Manziel had his third worst rushing performance ó 12 carries for 67 yards ó of the season.

"He just chased him all over the field," Kelly said. "Then at times, they plugged in right in the A-gap in the SEC and they couldnít block him."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson is a freak. Jets fans everywhere are going to love him when they see him play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    These days you need to be more than just a big run stuffing Tackle/Nose. You got to be able to get the QB.
    I'll never complain about the Jets drafting D-linemen and O-linemen in the 1st round. That's where games are won.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the things that stands out to me besides his athleticism is his frame. He's at 295 now (apparently) and has the frame to put on even MORE bulk.

As a DT, he'll take time to develop, but with Karl Dunbar there, his technique/leverage will go from the weakest part of his game to the strongest.

Very excited to see these pieces start to fit together.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In today's NFL you need DLmen that can get to the QB quickly (as opposed to the days when REx just needed his DL to occupy blockers and allow a safety/CB slip through for a late sack). With Coples/Wilk/Richardson we now have 3 guys that can do that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A guy with elite explosiveness, pass rushing ability, AND a non-stop motor? Sign me the **** up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can he play OLB?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    These days you need to be more than just a big run stuffing Tackle/Nose. You got to be able to get the QB.
    I'll never complain about the Jets drafting D-linemen and O-linemen in the 1st round. That's where games are won.
    Yeah I was mad about them passing on Jones at first but, between his spinal stenosis and your point about the trenches, I am really happy with the pick.

I have a couple of buddies from St. Louis who, both watch a ton of Mizzou games, immediately text me that he is an absolute animal who can play both standing up or in the dirt.

Seems like most of our draft picks have a common denominator = high motor players.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Can he play OLB?
    He will.

Rex is gonna use this guy everywhere.....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a Geno Atkins clone to me

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

UNDRAFTED SAFETY RONTEZ MILES ANAOTHER GOOD PICK BY JETS

FROM GANG GREEN NATION
    =New York Jets
    A+ pick: Dee Milliner, CB
    Milliner was rated as a top-five talent and some teams reportedly had him as the top defensive player on their draft board. He'll start as a rookie out of necessity and he should do well. Milliner has advanced coverage skills for a first-year player.
    Late-round find: Oday Aboushi, OT
    The Jets needed to get talent to play on the offensive line and Aboushi was a good choice in the fifth round. He's better than he often gets credit, and could be a tackle or guard.
    Undrafted intrigue: Rontez Miles, S
    Miles may have to get his Pittsburgh Steelers tattoo surgically removed if he makes the Jets' roster. He could too due to his combination of size and pure athleticism.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im hoping we move to the 4-3 and have this guy causing havic up the middle

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Correct... Teams run hurry up offenses where you can't get off the field. Players like Pouha and Devito who do ZERO as a pass rusher just aren't as valuable anymore. It's all about the QB in the NFL today. gotta have guys who can run in space at ALL positions.

Coples will move outside and we'll see Richardson basically play where Devito was.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Correct... Teams run hurry up offenses where you can't get off the field. Players like Pouha and Devito who do ZERO as a pass rusher just aren't as valuable anymore. It's all about the QB in the NFL today. gotta have guys who can run in space at ALL positions.

Coples will move outside and we'll see Richardson basically play where Devito was.
    someone forward this to Brady

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The more I read about Richardson the more I like the pick, almost starting to be my favorite one - could be a 3 down lineman in the Ryan defense

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    People don't realize that now in the 3-4 front Coples can now show his athleticism and rush from the OLB position. Everyone says we didn't address the OLB position but we did by drafting Richardson. The rush Will be there this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets' draft pick Sheldon Richardson has long history of versatility
    By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    on April 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated April 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

The former coaches and teammates packed into the pub on Theresa Avenue, right along the West End of St. Louis where Sheldon Richardson is from.

Thatís what theyíll say now, Jason Dulick, an assistant coach at Richardsonís high school, realized as a horde of strangers at the bar erupted when the No. 13 pick of the NFL Draft was announced on Thursday. This is Sheldonís town, just like it was John Clayís back in 1987, the last time a Public High League kid made it into the NFL.

As the highlight reels and video of the commissionerís handshake shown across the flat screen TVs, Dulick and fellow assistant Shaun Pollard watched the mammoth 6-2, 294-pound defensive tackle that was molded through four seasons at Gateway Technical High School.

They thought about the kid who reminded them of Keyshawn Johnson when he said to just give him the damn ball.

The one who, despite the frame of a future defensive tackle, played tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback, fullback and defensive end on the sandy, pock-marked fields he chose not to leave for a county school, where exposure and conditions were more favorable.

They thought about how they came up with his on-field nickname: "Boss Hog."

"He was 275 pounds in high school and he returned punts," said Kelvin
    Williams, one of Richardsonís teammates. "What else were you gonna call him? Heís the boss."

Plenty has changed since then, but as the Jets coaching staff gushed about their new defensive tackle over the weekend, it sounded like they appreciated the same things about Richardson. They claim he is versatile and freakishly athletic. They remembered the time on film Richardson, then a defensive tackle at Missouri, spied the opposing teamís fastest player. They remember seeing him line up at five different spots on defense. They remember him picking up a fumble against Kentucky and returning it nearly the length of the field, legging out running backs and wide receivers nearly to the end zone.

"I really think any of the film you watch on him ó first impressions, last impressions ó itís impressive," Kevin Kelly, the Jets area scout who followed Richardson, said yesterday. "You can feel his energy and his passion. He doesnít turn it off."

The Jets envision a "Boss Hog" role for Richardson that can have him play anywhere along the defensive line. They could shift their personnel and throw him into a 4-3 scheme or swap him into a role similar of departed Mike DeVito.

After finishing out of the top 10 in sacks and rushing defense each of the past two seasons ó the team also finished in the bottom third of Pro Football Focusí pass rush metric, which measures a teamís effectiveness in creating pressure ó they hope his addition will finally galvanize a unit years in the making.

"I donít label myself as one type of defensive tackle," Richardson said. "Iím versatile, like I said, thatís one of my main points and thatís why I think they pulled the trigger on me and gave me the phone call. They figured that they could find a place for me to play and be productive."

The Jets have now selected defensive linemen or defensive ends with four of their last six first-round picks. Three, including Richardson, could be on the field at once this season.

It is the most significant first-round investment of any team drafting defensive ends, defensive tackles or rush outside linebackers in that time frame.

The selling point for Kelly, now in his second year as a Jets personnel scout, was a game against Texas A&M where Richardson dropped back to middle linebacker and spied quarterback Johnny Manziel, the eventual Hesiman Trophy winner and one of the most elusive quarterbacks in college football.

Manziel had his third worst rushing performance ó 12 carries for 67 yards ó of the season.

"He just chased him all over the field," Kelly said. "Then at times, they plugged in right in the A-gap in the SEC and they couldnít block him."

Richardson finished the 2012 season with 75 tackles and four sacks.

Pollard and Dulick werenít surprised by the evaluation. That was their wide receiver, defensive end, quarterback, fullback, running back and punt returner running around after Manziel. That was the Boss Hog standing at almost 300 pounds with the range of a defensive end.

"When his name was announced, we just got up and started cheering," Dulick said. "He can dominate."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Another poster, i forget who suggested Rex will use Coples at OLB, in 3rd down spots. Thats a good observation.Were 1 or two players from having a dominant defense.A free safety, and OLB. Bush could be thae answer at Free safety, we'll see.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    After watching that, have to say I am pretty impressed with this kid. You can tell he believes in himself and his talent. An yes, he does remind me of Big Jinks. One thing for certain he and Rex are going to get along just fine !!!!