Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on our draft...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on our draft...

1 - (9) Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama
    Milliner was a consensus top 2 or 3 at worst CB on most peoples ratings. The Jets needed a CB somewhere and they took the guy they liked best. He doesn't have to be Revis but just has to be better than Kyle Wilson. Unfortunately the dumb ass media and some of our forum members will bring up Revis every time he gets a pass completed on him. I wanted a Cb in this draft but not until the 2nd or 3rd round where there was still good value.

1 - (13) Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri
    I'm torn on this pick. One the one hand it follows a mantra I like to spout, that being take BPA and don't worry about position in the 1st round or two. Coaches get fired and base defenses get changed so often in the NFL that passing over a really good player due to scheme often will catch up to you. My concern for the pick is that we have similar players in Wilkerson and Coples. All first round picks. Rex has to make sure he gets these guys all on the field the vast majority of plays. If they are playing 65% of plays each due to some rotation it devalues those 1st rounders as a whole. We will see if Rex is as smart as his rep is on how he uses these three young studs.

2 - (39) Geno Smith - QB - WVU
    I stated before the draft I did not want to draft a Qb in the 1st three rounds unless one of the very top guys fell into our laps in the 2nd round. this is what happened. I'm not sold on Smith and how I view this pick will be determined how willing Idzik is to draft another QB in the next year or so. One also has to wonder who the Jets next best rated QB was as some of the other rated QB's fell along ways. I want to see Smith, Garrard and Sanchez compete for the starting in camp and the best guy starts to begin with.

3 - (72) Brian Winters - OT/OG - Kent State
    I liked this pick, Idzik sees a long term need at guard and seems determined to solve it long term. The vets we signed this year are purely stop gaps. This player appears to be versatile enough where he might be able to play RT or guard, always a good thing.

4 - (106) Traded for Chris Ivory - RB
    Jets caved on the price for Ivory. I'm actually a bit disappointed we didn't keep the pick and choose any one of my favorite backs in the draft who were still on the board. (Johnathan Frankiln, Stepfan Taylor, Joe Randle) Obviously they think highly of Ivory but being hurt all the time is a problem. Ivory will have to be very very good for this move to turn out.

5 - (141) Oday Aboushi - OT/OG - Virginia
    Another olineman, I really like double dipping on positions of need, especially in the mid rounds. It really helps insulate a team vs a player not working out. With Winters and Aboushi the odds are greatly improved that at least one of them will be a decent long term starter.

6 - (178) William Campbell - DT/OG - Michigan
    Normally I would endorse a pick like this as the 6th and 7th rounds are perfect for picking project players that may not be roster material right now but could be a steal with development down the road. However after already taking two olineman I feel we should have went somewhere else. I have a hard time believing there was not a decent developmental pick at TE, S or OLB on the board at that time. (Tourek Williams - OLB, Mychal Rivera - TE, Cornelius Washington - OLB, Bacarri Rambo - S) All three of those positions need some help. If Campbell in two years looks like a possible starter it of course would be a steal pick.

7 - (215) Tommy Bohanon - FB/HB - Wake Forest
    This was a great pick at this point in the draft. Even though FB is out of vogue for many teams I think this guy can be a very useful player. Any time you get one of the top rated players at any position on the team this late and a potential rotational starter you have done well in the 7th round.

Overall the two keys to this draft are Richardson and Smith. Richardson has to be the type of player the Jets think he is and they MUST get great use out of all three of their young dline. Smith is just a huge question mark with half the world thinking the Jets got a steal and he can be a very good long term starter and the other half hating the pick and thinking we will be looking again for another QB real soon.

As for the make up of the team, we can only hope a few of these UDFA pan out or that we get a few more cheap vets after the June cuts. The Jets still have some glaring needs to start the year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Milliner was a consensus top 2 or 3 at worst CB on most peoples ratings. The Jets needed a CB somewhere and they took the guy they liked best. He doesn't have to be Revis but just has to be better than Kyle Wilson. Unfortunately the dumb ass media and some of our forum members will bring up Revis every time he gets a pass completed on him. I wanted a Cb in this draft but not until the 2nd or 3rd round where there was still good value.

I'm torn on this pick. One the one hand it follows a mantra I like to spout, that being take BPA and don't worry about position in the 1st round or two. Coaches get fired and base defenses get changed so often in the NFL that passing over a really good player due to scheme often will catch up to you. My concern for the pick is that we have similar players in Wilkerson and Coples. All first round picks. Rex has to make sure he gets these guys all on the field the vast majority of plays. If they are playing 65% of plays each due to some rotation it devalues those 1st rounders as a whole. We will see if Rex is as smart as his rep is on how he uses these three young studs.

I stated before the draft I did not want to draft a Qb in the 1st three rounds unless one of the very top guys fell into our laps in the 2nd round. this is what happened. I'm not sold on Smith and how I view this pick will be determined how willing Idzik is to draft another QB in the next year or so. One also has to wonder who the Jets next best rated QB was as some of the other rated QB's fell along ways. I want to see Smith, Garrard and Sanchez compete for the starting in camp and the best guy starts to begin with.

I liked this pick, Idzik sees a long term need at guard and seems determined to solve it long term. The vets we signed this year are purely stop gaps. This player appears to be versatile enough where he might be able to play RT or guard, always a good thing.

Jets caved on the price for Ivory. I'm actually a bit disappointed we didn't keep the pick and choose any one of my favorite backs in the draft who were still on the board. (Johnathan Frankiln, Stepfan Taylor, Joe Randle) Obviously they think highly of Ivory but being hurt all the time is a problem. Ivory will have to be very very good for this move to turn out.

Another olineman, I really like double dipping on positions of need, especially in the mid rounds. It really helps insulate a team vs a player not working out. With Winters and Aboushi the odds are greatly improved that at least one of them will be a decent long term starter.

Normally I would endorse a pick like this as the 6th and 7th rounds are perfect for picking project players that may not be roster material right now but could be a steal with development down the road. However after already taking two olineman I feel we should have went somewhere else. I have a hard time believing there was not a decent developmental pick at TE, S or OLB on the board at that time. (Tourek Williams - OLB, Mychal Rivera - TE, Cornelius Washington - OLB, Bacarri Rambo - S) All three of those positions need some help. If Campbell in two years looks like a possible starter it of course would be a steal pick.

This was a great pick at this point in the draft. Even though FB is out of vogue for many teams I think this guy can be a very useful player. Any time you get one of the top rated players at any position on the team this late and a potential rotational starter you have done well in the 7th round.

Overall the two keys to this draft are Richardson and Smith. Richardson has to be the type of player the Jets think he is and they MUST get great use out of all three of their young dline. Smith is just a huge question mark with half the world thinking the Jets got a steal and he can be a very good long term starter and the other half hating the pick and thinking we will be looking again for another QB real soon.

As for the make up of the team, we can only hope a few of these UDFA pan out or that we get a few more cheap vets after the June cuts. The Jets still have some glaring needs to start the year.
    Nice breakdown, although I'm completely on board with the Richardson pick. The trio of Wilk/Q/SRich will be a force to be reckoned with.

I agree with you on the 6th round situation. Rambo would have been my pick... but if Campbell turns out to be Brandon Moore, I won't complain...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think people are going to grow to love the Milliner pick, especially in 2014 when decisions will need to made on Cromartie and Wilson. Cro will be 30 and have a 14.98 million dollar cap number in 2014. Jets finally did what good teams do, and that is draft a replacement a year before he is really needed so they dont get caught and have to over pay for a vet.

As far as Richardson, I really didnt see him play much so I was not really aware that he was such an athletic freak at his size. If he can have an impact rushing from the interior, then that will make the entire pass rush better.

I get the Smith pick, I hate it much less at 39 than I would have at 9 or 13. we will see how it plays out. If Smith does turn into a legit starting QB then kudos to Idzik for getting his guy in the second and not reaching in the first.

For the rest of the draft, I like the Ivory trade a lot less for a 4th than I would for a 5th. I think there were some players I would have liked better that were still available. Would have loved Chris Harper or Quinton Patton there instead of Ivory.

I liked the Winters and Obushi picks. I love versatile linemen who can play multiple positions on the line. Smart move solidifying and adding depth to the O line, especially when drafting a young QB.

Overall not a bad draft, IF the Qb works out it becomes a great draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best players in the draft at 3 positions.

Serious depth on the O-line with the signing of Peterman and drafting of Winters - who may come in and start.

Starting RB on a trade ( It's like Johnny Johnson all over again!! )

More OL help from the kid from Brooklyn who should be our starting RT in two years.

After the start like this I didn't expect the project pick with what was on the board. With all the holes on this team I expected someone to contribute more than Campbell. But he's a behemoth and strong as hell.

And Bohannon sounds like a football player.

Idzik has laid a nice foundation with his first draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like he first 3 picks a lot.

Winters is at a position of great need, so I can't argue with it. I'm not completely sold on him, but I'll trust Idzik knows better than I do.

The Campbell pick was a puzzling one because they already took 2 OL and they're desperate for S and TE help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We picked up a ton of UDFAs some have potential; eg, 2 TEs, a Safety, 2 WR....

Some of these guys make the practice squad and develop or start on special teams. We will see in TC and preseason what gems pop up. It just makes the other picks seem better IMO.

Geno at 39 is perfect because he won't get paid like a franchise QB and will stay hungry to prove he's round 1 quality. If he stinks up the place then there is next years draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post

Serious depth on the O-line with the signing of Peterman and drafting of Winters - who may come in and start.

More OL help from the kid from Brooklyn who should be our starting RT in two years.

After the start like this I didn't expect the project pick with what was on the board. With all the holes on this team I expected someone to contribute more than Campbell. But he's a behemoth and strong as hell.

+1

Idzik did a lot of good work in this draft, and laid a solif foundation moving forward. He and his staff haven't stopped there either, already a large number of UDFA signings.

I'm also particularly interested in Bohanon, he looks like he'll be very useful in MM's WCO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good write up BF. I'd like to add that signing Zac Rogers makes the fact that we didn't draft a wr more palatable. {still wish we drafted swope}

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    My definition of a good draft-- 3 solid starters. My definition of a great draft-- 4 solid starters.

Goal is to draft multi year starters that you aren't looking to replace. Don't get carried away with 1st year, think long term.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-30-2013 at 11:41 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Its a draft I respect. It was a statement draft as well, we're going to start at the bottom and build up. I dig that Idzik made selections in the draft that left no question as to how in control he was. There will be no wondering next year whether he's got the britches for this.

I do internally question Richardson over Floyd, but I know the NFL scouting community loved Richardson, so I trust the decision.

The only real disappointment was rounds 6/7... I'm in the belief that you use those picks for high ceiling guys / div 2 peeps. That just felt like "OK..."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the green and white offseason glasses on and loved it

The 4th for ivory was great value imo

Loved that we went OG late rather than early and invested the early picks on the high end positions

Like that Miliner hasn't shied away from any Revis comparison's that reporters have brought to him

Agree that smith determines if good draft becomes great draft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who read my mocks over the past 2-3 months knows I'm a big Bohanon fan.

This kid is going to replace Hilliard and start from Day 1 and make an impact. Damn good lead blocker, excellent receiver out of the backfield, and tough as hell. Offers a good amount of versatility as well. Can line up at TE and in the slot in addition to fullback.

Nice security blanket for Geno.

I'll take that in a 7th round pick over some safety, WR or TE that probably wouldn't even make the final roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Anyone who read my mocks over the past 2-3 months knows I'm a big Bohanon fan.

This kid is going to replace Hilliard and start from Day 1 and make an impact. Damn good lead blocker, excellent receiver out of the backfield, and tough as hell. Offers a good amount of versatility as well. Can line up at TE and in the slot in addition to fullback.

Nice security blanket for Geno.

I'll take that in a 7th round pick over some safety, WR or TE that probably wouldn't even make the final roster.
    Sign me up man. Bohanon offers a variety of things that he's particularly good at. For me it's his blitz pickup in particular which was something we haven't replaced adequately since T-Rich left. This is in addition to the meat and potatoes grind he's adept at: lead blocking; he's a crusher, I want to see incoming LB's fly the other way for a change like T-Rich used to make them do. He also has fine hands and good body control.
    His only downside is he's not particularly fast, but he's a load to bring down. I'd like to see him being used on screens to batter defenders. His lead blocking for Ivory and Goodson is something I'm looking forward to. Smashmouth 2.0 baby!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dee Milliner-Love the pick.Dare I say it he reminds a lot of Revis in size,movement and awareness.Health issues aside I see no reason why he can't be a top 10 or better corner in the league.He also gets to play in a Rex Ryan defence which made Revis a superstar and resurrected the careers of Cro and Landry.He's in a great situation.

Sheldon Richardson-What I really like about this is that he replaces two players for the price of 1.I think he does a lot of what Pouha and DeVito brought but with much more disruption factor and actually will get sacks from inside.Didn't really pay much attention pre-draft because didn't think we'd go DT but watching tape since the guy is in the backfield nealy every play.OP mentioned he's similar to Mo and Coples but actually think as a shorter squatter player he brings something a little different(both Mo and Q being up and over 6-4)

Broadway Geno-At 13 I'd have bought into it with reservations but at 39 I'm all in.I can see on tape why people question him.One moment he's abysmal then the next firing strikes and looking like a consummate pocket passer.I really felt for the guy sat in the green room watching the biggest day of his life become a nightmare.I admire that he came back and I was happy for us and him that he gets to be a Jet and I LOVE the fact he has a gigantic,pi$$ed off chip on his shoulder.I want him angry and I want him to make everyone pay.Great pick

Brian Winters- Only quibble with this pick is that I really wanted Kenan Allen but I applaud the value of getting a top rated guard without using a top 20 pick.How much less will he bring to the OL than a Cooper or Warmack?

Chris Ivory-We needed a big back.Much as I loved Franklin I think his skillet is already on the roster with Powell and to a lesser extent McKnight and Goodson.We needed a bruiser to wear defences down and for that reason Ivory could be worth the 4th rounder.

Oday Aboushi-Like most I love the concept of double or triple dipping on a position.Surprisingly like D'Brick but with slower feet.Good depth at the very least.

William Campbell-Absolutely no idea about this pick but clearly they see something in this guy

Tommy Bohanon-It's already been said but this is exactly where you should get great value on positions like FB.Don't know enough about him but respected posters here love the pick so that'll do for me.
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 05-01-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post

Oday Aboushi has as much chance of being a starting Rt in the NFl as Vlad Ducasse. Aboushi just doesn't have the feet to stay at tackle , as he will have to be just a guard . Hey there isn't anything wrong with that. Aboushi was exposed big time at senior bowl as every pass rusher was running around him at tackle.

Winters might also not be able to play Tackle on the nfL level but should come in and make an early contribution at guard position . That was a very good pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    My definition of a good draft-- 3 solid starters. My definition of a great draft-- 4 solid starters.

Goal is to draft multi year starters that you aren't looking to replace. Don't get carried away with 1st year, think long term.
    Milliner, Richardson, Smith, Winters, Bohanon - all likely starters (even if by default) from this draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Milliner, Richardson, Smith, Winters, Bohanon - all likely starters (even if by default) from this draft.
    That's his point and why he says "Don't get carried away with 1st year, think long term"..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets had a hard on for Christine Michael, but the Seahawks snatched him up.

I would have preferred him over Ivory. He's a really good player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    That's his point and why he says "Don't get carried away with 1st year, think long term"..
    Do you think any of those guys would start year 1 "by default"? Are we THAT weak at CB, DL, QB, and OL that we'd put a kid in there who isn't ready/worthy?

IMO if these guys start it's because they deserve it, and if so they should have futures worth looking forward to . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I think the Jets had a hard on for Christine Michael, but the Seahawks snatched him up.

I would have preferred him over Ivory. He's a really good player.
    You must be kidding mate. Ivory's a proven commodity in the pro's Michael's a good prospect but let's keep it real here