Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Jets fans... get ready for weekly criticism from Westhoff

OK Jets fans... get ready for weekly criticism from Westhoff

He'll be joining Joe Namath and other disparaged Rex Ryan/Jets critics soon:

Former Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff close to joining ESPN-98.7 FM
    If the deal goes down Westhoff, sources said, would be prominently featured on ESPN-98.7’s Jets pre- and postgame shows. He would also make appearances on the station’s daily talk shows.
    Comments (1)
    By Bob Raissman / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:22 AM

The ranks of Jets critics, er, analysts may soon be growing.

Mike Westhoff, who called it quits as Gang Green’s special teams coordinator following last season, is close to signing a deal with ESPN-98.7, according to NFL sources close to the Jets.

If the deal goes down Westhoff, the sources said, would be prominently featured on ESPN-98.7’s Jets pre- and postgame shows. He would also make appearances on the station’s daily talk shows.

ESPN 98.7 suits declined to comment on a possible acquisition of Westhoff. The coming of Westhoff would signal a shake-up on the pre and postgame shows, hosted by Don LaGreca. The move to Westhoff would impact the role of Greg Buttle, currently the featured analyst on the pre and postgame shows.

In January, Westhoff made the rounds of a variety of radio talk shows. If he was looking to prove he could stir the pot he succeeded. Westhoff criticized his former employers and colleagues for the way they handled Tim Tebow, who was released by the team Monday.

“It was a mess,” Westhoff said in January. “It was an absolute mess. You can say it however else you want it. It was really a mess. I was very disappointed.”

ESPN-98.7 already has Joe Namath, one of the most vocal Jets critics, on its payroll. The addition of Westhoff would amount to turning up the volume and heat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    He'll be joining Joe Namath and other disparaged Rex Ryan/Jets critics soon:
    So..another person telling the truth???

Namath has consistently.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Namath has consistently.
    Wasn't Namath a strong Sanchez advocate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wasn't Namath a strong Sanchez advocate.
    He was drinking.

In his defense... that was 2 years ago.

Namath has consistently.
    Oh I absolutely agree with that. Joe tells it like it is. And I've got a feeling that Westhoff will too. It's just what Rex and the Jets do not want. While Francessa is obviously as phoney as a $3 bill in his continual ripping of the Jets (It probably doubles his ratings), Namath, Westhoff and most of the non morning hosts on ESPN-NY are a more realistic lesson.

Why listen to francessa's bullspit when we can get the real deal on ESPN-NY?

It will be refreshing to hear somebody talk about the Jets, both good and bad, who actually KNOWS what he's talking about. Hope he gets the gig.

Westy is the bomb. He doesn't blow smoke up the ass. He tells it exactly like it is because he isn't a coward.

Why is this a bad thing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Westy is the bomb. He doesn't blow smoke up the ass. He tells it exactly like it is because he isn't a coward.

Why is this a bad thing?
    Its not. Only the HOMERS will mind.

Most of us are happy with whats happening now but recognized what a circus the JETS were.

Best I can tell there are only 4 or 5 homers left. Even sg3 has seen the light.

Some of these guys held out to the bitter end.

I bet Westy will be the most fair/positive talking head out there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I have no issues with Westoff. He's a straight shooter with a ton of football knowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    I have no issues with Westy whatsoever. He wanted to retire years ago but stood on as a favor to the Jets. He has one face and he will always tell you what he thinks. Honest, tough but fair.

Wish him the best in his new endeavors.

Westhoff is AWESOME! I loved watching his Press Conferences.
    I'll enjoy his analysis.

It was a mess
    So why is anyone offended?
    Westy is great theater, the guy has a million stories, understands every facet of the game, has great anecdotes, he's gonna we awesome.

He was very smart when I heard him in the offseason, and he was really antiseptic in his criticism, the guy is a class act.
    Oh, and by the way, he really does like Rex & thinks he can coach the hell out of a defense.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Namath has consistently.
    Yup. Can't have the truth, nope.

The Jets have a lousy offense, draft defense in the first round.

The Jets have no playmakers on offense and too many quarterbacks, draft no playmakers and a questionable quarterback.

I'm sure all the media is wrong and JI members have it right. Trust them- its been 5 Rex Ryan drafts, look at all the talent he amassed and nurtured so far.

SAR I

Bewildered Beast

Why is this a bad thing?
    Are you saying Mike Westhoff is a "brave" man?

Asking for a friend,

Jason Collins

Jets Insider VIP

Why is this a bad thing?
    Its not. Only the HOMERS will mind.
    you both are correct

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Love me some Westy!

Rookie
    The jets organization was a joke last year. Sanchez was in a position where he had to prove that he can be a starter to the jets. So to help him out the jets added a terrible fit offensive coordinator, drafted a project wr in the second round (who caught 50 passes in college) and added tim tebow. How can you not strongly criticize those moves before, and we obviously have hindsight now. All those criticisms were justified. Last year, it was a circus. Thankfully, not anymore

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    . . . [draft] a questionable quarterback.
    Lol - how many drafted QB's aren't questionable (?).

I didn't see Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck on the board this year. Did you?

Some highly questionable QB choices have worked out very well of late - from Colin K to Russell Wilson. But then I suppose you were one of the fanboys for a Matt Flynn trade . . .

How long before Woody move the Jets from ESPN radio now (not knowing the contract situation)?