Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barring injuries, are Dawan Landry and Josh Bush our Week 1 starting safeties?

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Barring injuries, are Dawan Landry and Josh Bush our Week 1 starting safeties?

It seems that something that has been lost in the discussion of how successful the Jets D was last year without Revis is the fact that the Jets got better safety play than they ever had under Rex. Something tells me that won't be the case this year. I have no problems with the Jets deciding not to give Laron Landry a big deal; with his injury history and style of play, he will always be a huge injury risk. However, he was still very good last year and he will be missed.

One of the recurring ideas I've seen on this board is that Kyle Wilson should be moved to safety because he's a good tackler and pretty poor in man coverage. I wouldn't hate the move, but is there any indication the Jets have any inclination to do that? If not, do you think the Jets are content to go into the season with what they have?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's going to be Landry and Kyle Wilson......and I think the Jets showed an inclination to be leaning that way by avoiding safety in the draft, using the #9 pick on a CB, and not adding any FA safeties other than Landry.

Purely speculation obviously, but there are a few signs pointing to them going in that direction.......he'd certainly be more valuable to us as a safety than a nickel, imo.
    Last edited by Montana; 04-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    then who becomes the nickel?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Aaron Berry

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zero chance we go into the season with this group at Safety. I believe we will sign a vet either before training camp or during final cuts.

There are a lot of fringe DBs on the roster that will compete for a spot, including guys that could be converted to S: Jarrett, Lockett, Crocker, and perhaps even Walls, Fletcher, Lankster, and Berry.

There will be good competition in this group of DBs but they absolutely need another S with experience.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    In an interview during the draft Ryan sounded high on Trufant. When asked about Millner stepping in at #2 CB, he specifically mentioned Trufant will be competing there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can absolutely guarantee that Kyle Wilson will NOT be playing safety. He's an OK tackler, but certainly not good enough to be back there. His skills with the ball in the air are also not safety quality either.

You will be looking at Landry and either Allen or Bush. Also possible you see a free agent safety added late like Sensabaugh

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to this, Bell is still available.
    http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bell signed with AZ.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Bell signed with AZ.
    That's what I thought. Wonder why it's not showing on the NFL site.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the Jets were going to try and move Donnie Fletcher (2012 UDFA - BC) to safety as well? Has the size.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    In an interview during the draft Ryan sounded high on Trufant. When asked about Millner stepping in at #2 CB, he specifically mentioned Trufant will be competing there.
    More genius Rex--you draft a guy #9 and he is talking about Trufant, who at best is very average. Number 9 draft picks on a team that just lost its best CB usually step in and play right away. Unless of course, he doesn't have number 9 skills.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    More genius Rex--you draft a guy #9 and he is talking about Trufant, who at best is very average. Number 9 draft picks on a team that just lost its best CB usually step in and play right away. Unless of course, he doesn't have number 9 skills.
    There is nothing wrong with competition.its better than when rex declared eric smith our starting safety before training camp.If milliner is what he is supposed to be he will have no problem beating out trufant.I actually thought trufant played well before he got hurt last year.But I do agree I don't want him starting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets starting SAFETYS???

1 Dawan Landry
    2 Josh Bush??? or Antonio Allen???

Jets starting CB's

1 CA$HIN OUT CROMARTIE
    2 MILLION AIR$ MILLINER

NICKLE

1 Wilson
    2 Lankster

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    According to this, Bell is still available.
    http://www.nfl.com/freeagency
    He should retire.

Jim Leonhard signed with the Saints and before the draft, someone tweeted or wrote that the Saints may have signed him just to mentor their younger safeties in training camp and then cut him before the season starts- considering they drafted Vaccaro, that doesn't sound crazy now. I know not everyone loved him but he's a veteran, younger than Bell, and will be cheap. Besides, whenever an ex-Jet becomes available, there'll always be somebody clamoring for us to sign him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dawan Landry is definite day 1 starter barring injury at the SS position. He will play more of an in the box role so that leaves us looking for a coverage safety.

As of right now, that FS position could be occupied by Josh Bush, Jaiquawn Jarrett, or potentially a corner making a transition.

Our current corners: Cro, Milliner, Wilson, Lankster, Berry, Trufant

There will be enough secondary competition that they will definitely try to push one of those corners to try out FS (obviously not Cro or Milliner). I would see Wilson, Lankster, & Trufant as more of nickel corners and wouldn't mind one of them moving back.

Also, Trufant held Welker to 6 rec. 66 yards in our first meeting with the Patriots. He matched up with him the entire game and into overtime. This was after Welker has 4 straight 100+ yard games. I see him as a good nickel corner right now so there will be a lot of competition back there.

To your question, it does seem like Josh Bush is the front-runner for the FS position but that remains to be seen.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    good question but i'll wait till training camp...we have alot of new blood and the competition will be fierce...which is a good thing...we can speculate all we want, but until we see them in camp and the pre season....no one can have a valid answer.

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    It seems that something that has been lost in the discussion of how successful the Jets D was last year without Revis is the fact that the Jets got better safety play than they ever had under Rex. Something tells me that won't be the case this year. I have no problems with the Jets deciding not to give Laron Landry a big deal; with his injury history and style of play, he will always be a huge injury risk. However, he was still very good last year and he will be missed.

One of the recurring ideas I've seen on this board is that Kyle Wilson should be moved to safety because he's a good tackler and pretty poor in man coverage. I wouldn't hate the move, but is there any indication the Jets have any inclination to do that? If not, do you think the Jets are content to go into the season with what they have?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Kerry Rhodes available!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has always been able to get away with average safety play because he has had shutdown corners, including a very good nickel in Wilson. No real FS/SS split in his system. He's gotten away with having mediocre, run-supporting hitters back there for four years.

I do think Landry had a great year last year, but probably not as great as it was hyped to be. Nor was Bell by any means bad. He was a good starting safety in this system, basically a fifth linebacker.

This year, with Cro, Wilson, and a rookie competing for starting corner jobs something tells me safety is going to be a bigger concern.

UDFA Rontez Miles has a chance to be in the mix in 2014, IMO. But that doesn't help the Jets now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless there's a TC cut (always possible) or Rex, Thurman and Kerry Rhodes have the coming to Jesus moment.

Dawan and Josh Bush cannot be as bad as Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard. I'm sorry it's impossible.