Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dee Milliner is a baaaaaaddd maannnn!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Where are all the people saying we should have taken a Guard over this guy?
    I'd have no problem taking Cooper..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    A torn labrum for a CB is a big ZERO. And he only missed one game in college due to an injury (strained hip flexor) and that was against Western Kentucky. I bet if that week they played LSU he would have found a way to suit up.
    Yep. Dude is tough and plays through pain. I've never seen that Sport Science vid til now...

Now I'm REALLY excited about the pick! Him AND Cro?! with this D-line?!

We won't be missing Revis at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 12:24 PM, April 27, 2013

Jets area scout Jay Mandolesi watched all of Alabama’s games from last year, studying cornerback Dee Milliner. When he finished, Mandolesi did not need to know much more.

“I didn’t have any questions,” Mandolesi said. “He made a lot of plays on the ball. You could see all the athletic ability. As far as the player goes, I didn’t have any doubts.”

The Jets met with Milliner at the scouting combine in February, attended his pro day and had him in for a pre-draft visit a few weeks ago. On Thursday night, they took him with the ninth overall pick to bolster their secondary.

It completed a long study of Milliner by the Jets, who were convinced he could make an immediate impact. Mandolesi had no questions about Milliner as a player, but began to dig into the player’s character after Milliner declared for the draft in January.

Mandolesi asked about Milliner’s toughness. “Off the charts,” he was told.

Later, he would find out Milliner had four surgeries and needed another one but had missed just one game. The strength coach told him Milliner would be waiting for him in the morning to open up the weight room. The video staff told him Milliner would ask for cutups every week to study.

As the draft approached, questions about Milliner’s health surfaced. He had shoulder surgery in March that will keep him off the practice field for a while.

“It wasn’t that bad,” Milliner said about playing through the pain. “My arm isn’t hanging off or anything like that or broke. Just go out there and do something.”

Milliner and Sheldon Richardson, the Missouri defensive tackle the Jets took with the 13th pick Thursday, appeared at ease with their new surroundings at the Jets’ training center yesterday.

Richardson, a 292-pound athletic freak, appears to have a personality suited for New York.

“I want to start,” the player from Missouri said. “They didn’t draft us to come sit behind anybody.”

It was that attitude that was part of what impressed the Jets. Area scout Kevin Kelly said he believes Richardson will become a leader on their defense.

“You can feel his energy and his passion for the game and he doesn’t turn it off,” Kelly said. “It’s rare to find defensive leadership from the middle linebacker or safety. ... This guy has infectious passion for the game.”

It is a bit of a mystery how he will fit the Jets defense, but Kelly said Richardson played all over at Missouri. He even played middle linebacker against Texas A&M last year, mirroring Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Johnny Manziel.

“He was an easy evaluation because he was so impressive,” Kelly said.

Mandolesi basically echoed that sentiment about Milliner. The Jets believe they hit on two picks Thursday night. Check back in a few years to see if they were right.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...obref=obinsite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Can't believe all the knuckleheads who thought we should've gone offense in the 1st round and that Mornhinweg should've protested or something.

We lost the best CB in the NFL and had to address that as the top priority.

Hope Milliner is the answer.
    chance of Milliner being anywhere close to Revis ... .1%

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    chance of Milliner being anywhere close to Revis ... .1%
    Mr Superscout has spoken

based on nothing, of course

Revis was drafted in the mid teens

Milliner was considered a far better draft prospect than Revis at the time of their respective drafts

but, why bother with facts...

the Jets drafted Milliner so it's a thousand to one that he can be as good as Revis turned out.

of course

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admit, thats exactly what I wanted going into the draft but also realize the Jets needed a Revis replacement . Nice pick, cant complain.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    But Adam Schein said he had 5 surgeries and the pick was a disaster
    I happen to think that Milliner is a great pick.

But a Sports Science feature is just as reliable as Schein's opinion in terms of projecting whether or not a prospect will become a good NFL player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner is a more physical version of Cromartie and that's fine by me. I'm willing to bet if the Jets passed on him for Warmack people would be crying murder everytime our pass D got torched while he was producing for another team. Lockdown CBs are tougher to find than guards like Warmack, who had a hard time handling our #13 pick if I remember that game right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Mr Superscout has spoken

Milliner was considered a far better draft prospect than Revis at the time of their respective drafts

the Jets drafted Milliner so it's a thousand to one that he can be as good as Revis turned out.

of course
    By your logic Geno Smith will be far worse than Sanchez.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 04-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    Milliner is a more physical version of Cromartie and that's fine by me. I'm willing to bet if the Jets passed on him for Warmack people would be crying murder everytime our pass D got torched while he was producing for another team. Lockdown CBs are tougher to find than guards like Warmack, who had a hard time handling our #13 pick if I remember that game right.
    I think it was the #13 pick that had people scratching their heads more than the #9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a problem with the pick or the player, but I would've preferred a guard. IMO, it was more of a position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    But Mayock said he can't catch
    That's why they don't play WR, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    He's had 5 MINOR surgeries. He also PLAYED, at a HIGH LEVEL, with a torn Labrum.

I think he will be JUST fine.
    I had a torn labrum and a hernia. Nothing remotely minor about the recovery from them. Maybe they're minor for the guy performing them, but they aren't a picnic, trust me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I think it was the #13 pick that had people scratching their heads more than the #9.
    Fair enough, although with the way Wilkerson and Coples have panned out it's hard to knock Rex's eye for D-Line talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Mr Superscout has spoken

of course
    Revis may be the greatest CB ever if he comes all of the way back from his injury. Obviously in a do-over of that draft Revis would not go at #14. This is not about comparing the relative pre-draft prospects to one another. It is about comparing a #9 pick to possibly the greatest or 2nd greatest CB of all time.

But

Why

Bother

With

Facts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I had a torn labrum and a hernia. Nothing remotely minor about the recovery from them. Maybe they're minor for the guy performing them, but they aren't a picnic, trust me.
    I think you missed my point..... He PLAYED WITH THE INJURY.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a sucker for these videos.. They get me so jacked up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I think you missed my point..... He PLAYED WITH THE INJURY.
    I don't think you understand; his playing with the injury is more or less immaterial. It could have been a minor tear that caused him discomfort and/or limited range of motion. It may have been a case of being able to play through the pain, it may have been a case of the guy playing with his arm practically hanging off, it doesn't matter in what I and others are talking about. That isn't to question whether he's a tough kid, I'm sure he is. But the surgery to address the problem isn't MINOR from a recovery standpoint. No surgery ever is. The lasting effects of anesthesia alone are a concern. Same goes for the hernia. Plenty of people go years, heck their whole lives, without addressing them. But once you go under the knife, it's an entirely different ballgame. Compound that with the fact that you are talking about a highly-skilled athlete and not some schlub at a desk, and you're talking about something pretty serious. Again, it isn't heart surgery, but it is orthopedic and abdominal surgery, nothing to sneeze at.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you're right! We need to cut the bum! No football players EVER have surgery in the offseason!

Can we get Revis back? The Revis who STILL won't be ready week 1? Who only played 12 games the year prior to tearing his ACL because he pulled his hammy?

He's the best everz

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I don't think you understand; his playing with the injury is more or less immaterial. It could have been a minor tear that caused him discomfort and/or limited range of motion. It may have been a case of being able to play through the pain, it may have been a case of the guy playing with his arm practically hanging off, it doesn't matter in what I and others are talking about. That isn't to question whether he's a tough kid, I'm sure he is. But the surgery to address the problem isn't MINOR from a recovery standpoint. No surgery ever is. The lasting effects of anesthesia alone are a concern. Same goes for the hernia. Plenty of people go years, heck their whole lives, without addressing them. But once you go under the knife, it's an entirely different ballgame. Compound that with the fact that you are talking about a highly-skilled athlete and not some schlub at a desk, and you're talking about something pretty serious. Again, it isn't heart surgery, but it is orthopedic and abdominal surgery, nothing to sneeze at.
    i will plus 1 this ... i had a labrum injury not requiring surgery ... 4 months rehab. not minor. Of course did not have the privileged of having the worlds best dr.s like many of these athletes. Im sure he will be fine .. but is its a concern.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 04-30-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'd have no problem taking Cooper..
    Me neither.

If Cooper was on the Board at 9 it would have been a slam dunk pick for me. We could have gone Milliner, Hayden or Richardson at 13.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    Fair enough, although with the way Wilkerson and Coples have panned out it's hard to knock Rex's eye for D-Line talent.
    It also might be nice if we don't have to draft a defensive lineman in the Top 4 rounds for the next 2 or 3 years.

I can see us going OT, S, OLB, or WR next year.