Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Imagine if Geno were Blond and Blue Eyed...

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480

    Imagine if Geno were Blond and Blue Eyed...

    Would he have as many doubters and flat out haters??

    I read the comments about his intelligence and they way he speaks (which sounds just fine to me) and don't seem to hear those comments about Barkley or the other qbs drafted after him. Some complained about his work ethic and that he was "lazy"; something his previous coach vehemently denied, calling him one of the hardest workers on the team.

    Hell, one idiot complained because he said "yes sir" to often and called it some type of "hip hop" slang for chrissakes, WTF, lol.

    Smith was the CONSENSUS # 1 QB in the draft for months leading up to the draft. Yet you would have thought we drafted Tim Tebow or something the way many on this board reacted.

    For the longest time NO ONE, NOT ONE DRAFT EXPERT had him even making it to the 9th pick and yet we get him at 39 and some people are actually upset about this???? I realize he didn't do himself any favors by not playing at the senior bowl and a players warts have a way of becoming magnified the closer you get to the draft. Geno is not the first highly ranked player to fall out of the first round, and won't be the last; whether warranted or not that is just the way it goes sometimes.

    The kid has franchise qb ability imho, a great attitude and work ethic and an experienced offensive coach who believes in him in MM. How ANYONE can not be excited about his potential is beyond me.

    I don't really want to bring race into this because we should be far past that by now but based on the OVER-reaction to his selection and some of the comments I read, it makes me wonder. Feel free to bash away....

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Would he have as many doubters and flat out haters??

    I read the comments about his intelligence and they way he speaks (which sounds just fine to me) and don't seem to hear those comments about Barkley or the other qbs drafted after him. Some complained about his work ethic and that he was "lazy"; something his previous coach vehemently denied, calling him one of the hardest workers on the team.

    Hell, one idiot complained because he said "yes sir" to often and called it some type of "hip hop" slang for chrissakes, WTF, lol.

    Smith was the CONSENSUS # 1 QB in the draft for months leading up to the draft. Yet you would have thought we drafted Tim Tebow or something the way many on this board reacted.

    For the longest time NO ONE, NOT ONE DRAFT EXPERT had him even making it to the 9th pick and yet we get him at 39 and some people are actually upset about this???? I realize he didn't do himself any favors by not playing at the senior bowl and a players warts have a way of becoming magnified the closer you get to the draft. Geno is not the first highly ranked player to fall out of the first round, and won't be the last; whether warranted or not that is just the way it goes sometimes.

    The kid has franchise qb ability imho, a great attitude and work ethic and an experienced offensive coach who believes in him in MM. How ANYONE can not be excited about his potential is beyond me.

    I don't really want to bring race into this because we should be far past that by now but based on the OVER-reaction to his selection and some of the comments I read, it makes me wonder. Feel free to bash away....

    They didn't have him making it past the 9th pick in their MOCK DRAFTS, which is not the same as where they thought he SHOULD go based on his abilities.

    Here is what Mayock said when he predicted that Cleveland would take him at #6:

    When I look at Geno, I see a kid who's got everything you want to see in a franchise quarterback, but there's just too much bad tape. I would not take him this early; I would go for an edge or a corner. However, I really think Joe Banner might pull the trigger on the quarterback from West Virginia.

    WHat would they say if he was blond haired and blue eyed ? The same damned things.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    They didn't have him making it past the 9th pick in their MOCK DRAFTS, which is not the same as where they thought he SHOULD go based on his abilities.

    Here is what Mayock said when he predicted that Cleveland would take him at #6:




    WHat would they say if he was blond haired and blue eyed ? The same damned things.
    I am talking about this board and the reaction by many. He didn't go 9, he went 39.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    They didn't have him making it past the 9th pick in their MOCK DRAFTS, which is not the same as where they thought he SHOULD go based on his abilities.

    Here is what Mayock said when he predicted that Cleveland would take him at #6:




    WHat would they say if he was blond haired and blue eyed ? The same damned things.
    BTW is the same Mike Mayock who continued to bash the kid he thought could go as early as 6, when he was picked 39th? He lost whatever credibility he might have had.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    I am talking about this board and the reaction by many. He didn't go 9, he went 39.
    You referenced the "draft experts" and you seem to be taking issue with people criticizing the pick.

    People on this board are voicing many of the same criticisms that "the draft experts" have raised.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    BTW is the same Mike Mayock who continued to bash the kid he thought could go as early as 6, when he was picked 39th? He lost whatever credibility he might have had.

    Are you daft or something ? It was a freaking MOCK DRAFT. He even took the time to specifically say that he wouldn't draft him with that high a pick. That Mayock thought he COULD/WOULD go at the 6th didn't mean that he thought he SHOULD go 6th.

    The reason that the pick is criticized is that people think that Sanchez is on the way out and that Geno was drafted to be the starter. IF he had been drafted by another team that was set at QB, where he could carry a clipboard for a year or so and develop, they wouldn't have an issue with it.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    You referenced the "draft experts" and you seem to be taking issue with people criticizing the pick.

    People on this board are voicing many of the same criticisms that "the draft experts" have raised.
    Well I referenced experts because for months on end he was considered the #1 qb in the draft by many of those experts was predicted to go in the first round.

    My issue is the reaction of many on this board when a first round talent fell in our laps in the second round. Maybe I am off base here again, based on some of the comments I read it just made me wonder. It is okay to question whether he is a franchise qb etc or if there was someone better available, but to again some of the comments where just kind of out there and seemed kinda personal.

    Hopefully Geno can change the mind of his detractors with his play on the field.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Well I referenced experts because for months on end he was considered the #1 qb in the draft by many of those experts was predicted to go in the first round.

    My issue is the reaction of many on this board when a first round talent fell in our laps in the second round. Maybe I am off base here again, based on some of the comments I read it just made me wonder. It is okay to question whether he is a franchise qb etc or if there was someone better available, but to again some of the comments where just kind of out there and seemed kinda personal.

    Hopefully Geno can change the mind of his detractors with his play on the field.
    #1 of the QB class doesn't mean that you are a great or good QB. It just means that you are a better candidate than the next guy in line. Many also commented on how poor of a QB class there was this year. Many of those experts predicted that he would go in the first round based on team need. You are familiar with the concept of REACHING in a draft, aren't you ?

    The point is, a lot of people didn't see him as an actual first round talent. Again, you are conflating where experts thought he would be drafted with where they thought he SHOULD be drafted.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Come on Demo; no one, NO ONE thought he would drop to the Jets at 39, hence all the speculation of the Jets moving up to get him. He was not a reach at 39 that is the point. Just because this year we didn't have the top end talent of a Luck or RG3 doesn't mean there won't be several franchise qbs to come of this draft. Only time will tell; Smith has all the "measurables" you look for in a QB and only lacks experience under center.

    In fact I wouldn't surprised if E.J. Manual, Geno Smith, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson and perhaps Mike Glennon are all considered franchise caliber or at least capable starting qbs in the next few years with the right coaching. If that happens I don't think anyone is going to remember that it was a "down year for qbs".

    Again forget the "experts"; you are focusing on one sentence when the whole point of the post was the reaction to drafting Smith at 39. BTW yes I know what a REACH is and at 39, Smith was a TREMENDOUS value pick; period. Anyone who doesn't get that, just doesn't want to.

    Now he gets to prove it on the field and shut up all his critics.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Would he have as many doubters and flat out haters??

    I read the comments about his intelligence and they way he speaks (which sounds just fine to me) and don't seem to hear those comments about Barkley or the other qbs drafted after him. Some complained about his work ethic and that he was "lazy"; something his previous coach vehemently denied, calling him one of the hardest workers on the team.

    Hell, one idiot complained because he said "yes sir" to often and called it some type of "hip hop" slang for chrissakes, WTF, lol.

    Smith was the CONSENSUS # 1 QB in the draft for months leading up to the draft. Yet you would have thought we drafted Tim Tebow or something the way many on this board reacted.

    For the longest time NO ONE, NOT ONE DRAFT EXPERT had him even making it to the 9th pick and yet we get him at 39 and some people are actually upset about this???? I realize he didn't do himself any favors by not playing at the senior bowl and a players warts have a way of becoming magnified the closer you get to the draft. Geno is not the first highly ranked player to fall out of the first round, and won't be the last; whether warranted or not that is just the way it goes sometimes.

    The kid has franchise qb ability imho, a great attitude and work ethic and an experienced offensive coach who believes in him in MM. How ANYONE can not be excited about his potential is beyond me.

    I don't really want to bring race into this because we should be far past that by now but based on the OVER-reaction to his selection and some of the comments I read, it makes me wonder. Feel free to bash away....
    In the 2000 draft, only 1 QB was selected in the 1st round (our own Chad), while many mocks had Chris Redmond as the 2nd QB taken. He's blonde and has blue eyes. He also slid out of the first. Thirteen years later and it's pretty obvious all the guys who passed on him were correct about his abilities. I'm not saying Geno will have a career that resembles Redmond, just saying the race card isn't the best thing to pull in this instance.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    In the 2000 draft, only 1 QB was selected in the 1st round (our own Chad), while many mocks had Chris Redmond as the 2nd QB taken. He's blonde and has blue eyes. He also slid out of the first. Thirteen years later and it's pretty obvious all the guys who passed on him were correct about his abilities. I'm not saying Geno will have a career that resembles Redmond, just saying the race card isn't the best thing to pull in this instance.
    This no card being played here race or otherwise.

    I take it you didn't read some of the comments on this board... I am just calling like I see it. Don't think any one called Chad or Redmond "dumb, lazy, not to bright etc". I have no issues with criticism but some of it just seemed a little to personal and nasty. At any event it is water under bridge and I am sure the vast majority of Jet Fans, as they actually begin to learn more about him as both a player and person are excited to have him on the team.

  12. #12
    If Mark Sanchez or Tebow were black we'd all be bigots.

    Doesn't really freaking matter what anyone says. He's now going to get his shot, sooner or later, to start for the NY Jets. All that matters is what he does with that.

    That does't mean people shouldn't be able to criticize a black quarterback and that if you do it's all racism. Personally I think he's missing the killer instinct in his eyes and looks lackadaisical and timid with the football in his hands. I always looked for this whether the QB was white or black. You gotta have that ice cold stare and a sharpshooter's eye and I just don't see it.

    Matt Barkley gets criticized for being a USC QB and being soft and slipped even further. I honestly feel Geno will be soft too and it feels about right where he got picked.
    Last edited by ytfootballfan; 04-30-2013 at 05:16 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    This no card being played here race or otherwise.

    I take it you didn't read some of the comments on this board... I am just calling like I see it. Don't think any one called Chad or Redmond "dumb, lazy, not to bright etc". I have no issues with criticism but some of it just seemed a little to personal and nasty. At any event it is water under bridge and I am sure the vast majority of Jet Fans, as they actually begin to learn more about him as both a player and person are excited to have him on the team.
    Actually, yes, you did throw the race card when you insinuated that the criticisms about Geno were because he was black.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Come on Demo; no one, NO ONE thought he would drop to the Jets at 39, hence all the speculation of the Jets moving up to get him. He was not a reach at 39 that is the point. Just because this year we didn't have the top end talent of a Luck or RG3 doesn't mean there won't be several franchise qbs to come of this draft. Only time will tell; Smith has all the "measurables" you look for in a QB and only lacks experience under center.

    In fact I wouldn't surprised if E.J. Manual, Geno Smith, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson and perhaps Mike Glennon are all considered franchise caliber or at least capable starting qbs in the next few years with the right coaching. If that happens I don't think anyone is going to remember that it was a "down year for qbs".
    Some of these guys might be starters some time down the road, but I seriously doubt any of them will be "franchise QBs".


    Again forget the "experts"; you are focusing on one sentence when the whole point of the post was the reaction to drafting Smith at 39. BTW yes I know what a REACH is and at 39, Smith was a TREMENDOUS value pick; period. Anyone who doesn't get that, just doesn't want to.

    Now he gets to prove it on the field and shut up all his critics.
    Again, you have to look at the CONTEXT surrounding the pick. If the Broncos, or Pats had taken him at 39, it would be a great "value pick." Teams with older established QBs who would continue to start and allow Smith to develop.

    Most don't see the Jets as being that kind of situation. You do get that a guy might be a great pick for one team, but a not so great pick for another, right ? Mayock and many others just don't see Smith being able to step in as a starter in his first year, which makes it a questionable pick for the Jets.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    This no card being played here race or otherwise.

    I take it you didn't read some of the comments on this board... I am just calling like I see it. Don't think any one called Chad or Redmond "dumb, lazy, not to bright etc". I have no issues with criticism but some of it just seemed a little to personal and nasty. At any event it is water under bridge and I am sure the vast majority of Jet Fans, as they actually begin to learn more about him as both a player and person are excited to have him on the team.
    I have read the comments, and seeing that you've been around since '05 (the year I started reading this board) I trust you know bigotry on JI when you see it, since we see a decent amount of it here, but those comments that you refer to weren't coated in any bigotry. There's legitimate negatives to Geno that have been covered ad nauseum, so no need to repeat them here.

    And no, I'm sure Jet fans weren't calling Chad dumb since we knew he was a Rhodes scholar finalist and that his major asset was his football intelligence. As for Redman, I don't remember what his major criticisms were and I have no idea what Raven fans thought about him upon their selection of him. But I'm pretty sure in the same vein that we wouldn't have called Chad dumb, regardless of what you think of his play, Titans fans wouldn't ever criticize the intelligence of Myron Rolle, who did absolutely nothing during his two years there. And I'm sure if Geno Smith had the option of leaving Florham Park for medical school, or spoke as eloquently as Rolle, no one here would question his intelligence as well. Not saying it's right or wrong, but all anyone can go off of in these circumstances is appearances.

  16. #16
    Geno smith got drafted where he should have been drafted. Most draft people thought that 3 or 4 QBs were going to be taken in the late 1st by teams trading up from the 2nd. None of them thought Smith or any other qb was worthy of a top 10 pick and most thought none of them were 1st rd picks value wise.

    He is not your son, why do you care so much what strangers say about him? Are you happy with the pick? great.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    This no card being played here race or otherwise.

    Based on your post title it was absolutely the card you were playing.

    Gimme a break.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    This no card being played here race or otherwise.

    I take it you didn't read some of the comments on this board... I am just calling like I see it. Don't think any one called Chad or Redmond "dumb, lazy, not to bright etc". I have no issues with criticism but some of it just seemed a little to personal and nasty. At any event it is water under bridge and I am sure the vast majority of Jet Fans, as they actually begin to learn more about him as both a player and person are excited to have him on the team.
    Of course some of the comments on this board are to far like those who called him a "punk" and "thug" and when questioned on it couldn't come up with one sound reason other then he was "to polite".

    That Geno's saying "yes sir" was some kind of hidden gang code, which is utter nonsense...

    Good Grief!!!!

    The truth is people are people and many have problems like when I called one poster out for calling coach Herm Edwards a "stupid..... monkey", but I think that posters who do this on this board are rare and more importantly they are called out. Honestly Sooth on this issue and the mods in general run an outstanding board in this regard.

    IMO at this point in Jets history if a poka dot QB with a "sheep problem" () could play like John Elway was on the Jets and we won a SB or two the vast majority of posters on this board would be hysterical with unbounded JOY!!!

    Would there be some complaining by a minority of posters yes there would be, but certainly dont let them steal or limit your Joy now or then..


    Lets Go Jets!!!
    Peace
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-30-2013 at 06:59 AM.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,207
    Great avatar. Terrible thread.

    Geno went where he should have went. There is a difference between what grade a guy gets and where they "experts" put them in their mock drafts. If you watched any pre-draft coverage on NFLN you would have known that nearly all their former scouts and GMs said that they wouldn't take him in the first but he will go high b.c teams usually are willing to reach for a QB.

    Geno has some good tape. But he has some bad tape. And he did not play in a pro style offense.

    BTW, the top two QBs taken in this draft were black. As for this board, plenty of us loved RG3 last year. This crop just doesn't compare to the ones of years past. Simple as that. Black and white.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,676

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us