46 26.59%
  • Smith

43 24.86%
  • McElroy

1 0.58%
  • Simms

3 1.73%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who wins the QB competition, based on what whe know today?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Isn't the bulk of what the Jets owe Sanchez bonus money? I honestly don't know how it's broken down but I thought most of it was money the Jets are on the line for either way.
    Basically Sanchez is owed 8.75 million in actual cash payments. That is what his salary is for the 2013 season. The bonus "money" is cap dollars, not real cash payments just money that is being accounted for a PREVIOUSLY paid signing bonus, a team trading for Sanchez does not inherit any of this.

The Jets would trade Sanchez for a conditional 7th round pick in 2020 if someone would take his salary right now IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe you are correct...

In terms of cap cost... Tannenbaum's horrible contract extension costs the Jets the same multi millions if they cut T6 after the season OR after June 1 and about 5 million more if we kick his 52 turnovers out the door before that date.

Get ready to celebrate in June

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I agree but I wonder if Idzik is serious about competition at every position. If so I suspect Sanchez will outright win the QB competition in camp. The fact that there is little benefit to cutting him means he is likely in camp. What is going to be painful to must of us is the reality that he actually was the best QB in camp last year and with a rookie and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years might well be the best in camp this year?

Those of you who really wanted competition might actually get it and be very unhappy with the results.

Hopefully Idzik has been lying to us.
    Wow, he is NOT the best QB in camp. Have you actually watched him the last 2 years? He does nothing well, and many many things badly. It is almost impossible for Geno to not be better than Sanchez right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I believe you are correct...

In terms of cap cost... Tannenbaum's horrible contract extension costs the Jets the same multi millions if they cut T6 after the season OR after June 1 and about 5 million more if we kick his 52 turnovers out the door before that date.

Get ready to celebrate in June
    They could actually cut Sanchez NOW and designate him a June 1 cut and still get to spread out the cap hit to next year if they really want to cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Wow, he is NOT the best QB in camp. Have you actually watched him the last 2 years? He does nothing well, and many many things badly. It is almost impossible for Geno to not be better than Sanchez right now.
    So you are saying NOTHING has to do with our lack of WR and a porous O-line. Oh, and the fact that we had Sparano, considering he is one of the worst play callers I've ever watched. We expect a QB to succeed in a "Ground and Pound" system where he has NO playmakers to throw the ball to.

Let's see the weapons that other QBs had last year:
    Matt Ryan - Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Jacquizz Rodgers, Michael Turner
    Joe Flacco - Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Ray Rice, Ed Dickson, & Dennis Pitta
    Tomy Romo - Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Jason Witten, Kevin Ogletree
    (I know Romo isn't the best QB but he at least has weapons)

Did we have anyone on our roster after about week 5 that were even comparable to ANY of these names? We literally did not have ANY big time playmakers after we lost Holmes. And Sanchez was playing fine up until we lost Holmes and saw DK go down.

I don't think Sanchez is a great QB, but he deserves to actually be in a proven system. The WCO is best fit for him and his game actually. We are already on the hook for the money so let it play out IMO.

Do people not realize that Sam Bradford is kind of on a make or break year for him? If he struggles the Rams might move in a different direction. Who is their offensive coordinator? Oh yeah, Shottenheimer. If there is anyone that was handled incorrectly it was Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    The "competition" isn't one. It will be rigged from the start, for a number of reasons, from saving face, to giving Sanchez his last chance, to Rex's "my guys" thing, to pure and simple money.

Sanchez will "win" the competition, and start most of 2013.

Gerrard will be the backup.

Gino Smith will be the #3 QB.

If (when) Sanchez plays as horribly as he usually does, and the season is lost, then Sanchez will be benched permently. Smith will get 2-3 end-of-year pressure-free starts, Gerrard will be the #2.

Sanchez will be gone at seasons end as a URFA.

Gerrard may/may not be retained to provide veteran backup insurence.

And Gino Smith will be the Jets starter for 2014.
    I have a feeling this scenario will play out.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    The poll is just about right.

- Sanchez has the inside track, as he has been our starter and this will be his last chance with a proven offensive coordinator. I believe Mark was shot by the 2nd half of week two last season, and should've been relieved earlier in the season than when he was (but Tebow wasn't a good QB and McElroy may never be ready beyond being a career a backup). But if his career has a shot, it will be with a WCO. This is it for him. Either we get that franchise QB we invested in or we ruined another QB (one of our known-for traits). Those that believe that he is just plain terrible need to understand that he has had two terrible offensive coordinators, a terrible QB coach, a thin WR corps (that got exposed when injuries struck last season), and at times a bad OL. No QB can survive such horrid scenarios. A Tom Brady or Payton Manning would've also failed if early in their careers they were put into such a situation. He may be shot, but this is his last chance. Those that say cut and run are - to me - SOJ losers who will also call for Gerrard and Geno's heads to roll after a few turnovers and losses as well. There is no satisfying such fans unless they win a Super Bowl in their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, year. Oh, and if so, if by that 5th year it didn't happen, off with his head.

- Gerrard has a decent chance of usurping Mark if he can grasp the offense quicker and/or make less turnovers.

- Geno has a wildcard shot. If he picks up the offense quick and amazes people with his abilities, he could steal the job. But, he should be groomed. We don't want to rush him. Let him look from the outside looking in first. Perhaps one of Sanchez's problems was that he didn't get that watch for a year or two mentality. He will also have a shot late in the year if Sanchez blows his last chance.

- McElroy, as I noted above, looks to be an excellent, smart backup QB, but may not have the physical toughness and arm strength to start and take that week to week pounding. Unless you have the Pats Offensive Line (or refs that let you hold, e.i.. Patriots). Brady with most teams' OL would've been dead years ago.

- Simms seems to be the odd man out in this log jam. We know little about him other than his dad and bro played.

New OC, new QBs, new OL, new RBs... if we picked up a receiver or two, I'd be EXTREMLY excited. It's been the only area that has not been addressed yet... makes me wonder is something is being planned....
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 05-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.

If this coaching staff is smart, aside from the Preseason (if he even makes it that far), Mark Sanchez will never take another snap for the franchise.

Hopefully Idzik makes the right move and releases him prior to Training Camp, or at worst case, prior to the end of the Preseason.

Our best bet may be hoping for someone's starting QB to go down and a team agreeing to send a 7th round pick in 2014 or 15 and paying 1/2 of Sanchez's 2013 salary to acquire him.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If this coaching staff is smart, aside from the Preseason (if he even makes it that far), Mark Sanchez will never take another snap for the franchise.

Hopefully Idzik makes the right move and releases him prior to Training Camp, or at worst case, prior to the end of the Preseason.

Our best bet may be hoping for someone's starting QB to go down and a team agreeing to send a 7th round pick in 2014 or 15 and paying 1/2 of Sanchez's 2013 salary to acquire him.
    if idzik is serious about having a qb competition then he has to keep sanchez into TC. garard is an emergency option insurance thing in case a few guys get hurt. if they cut sanchez now then there's no real competition.

if geno clearly needs more time then they start sanchez and let him screw up, then bring in smith with the 'it's a lost season let's groom our new qb'. if geno wins it in TC then they may cut sanchez or hold onto him for a bit in case geno sucks early on. in the end it doesn't matter as sanchez is gone after this season and the jets can get offensive weapons then.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I would say right now it would be almost impossible for Geno to be better than Sanchez right now. That's why competition at the QB position is a bad idea.

If management has decided that Mark has peaked and will never be a quality franchise QB he shouldn't be in a QB competition with a QB we are trying to develop into a franchise QB. Mark not being the guy doesn't mean he isn't the best guy in camp.

Gerrard at least knows the score and can fill the breach while we bring Geno along.

Hopefully Sanchez is going to be cut or traded.

All Pro
    No chance Mark Sanchez is the starter.

It will be Geno Smith -- if it's not that's a bad sign, IMO. Means he's sucking and we'll likely have Garrard starting if he's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    ABSOLUTELY

Handing Turnover6 the job would be like a dose of cyanide for the Jets.

And I clearly prefer Dalwhinnie 15 as my beverage of choice

You going to call Geno, "Turnover7", too? He's not exactly known for his ball security and sure handedness.

Ever read Nawrocki's pre-draft write up? Scathing stuff.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...of-geno-smith/

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I have a feeling this scenario will play out.
    I think most Jets fans, if they had to bet real money (their own) in any considerable sum on the outcome.....would agree that thats how it will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    So you are saying NOTHING has to do with our lack of WR and a porous O-line. Oh, and the fact that we had Sparano, considering he is one of the worst play callers I've ever watched. We expect a QB to succeed in a "Ground and Pound" system where he has NO playmakers to throw the ball to.

Let's see the weapons that other QBs had last year:
    Matt Ryan - Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Jacquizz Rodgers, Michael Turner
    Joe Flacco - Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Ray Rice, Ed Dickson, & Dennis Pitta
    Tomy Romo - Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Jason Witten, Kevin Ogletree
    (I know Romo isn't the best QB but he at least has weapons)

Did we have anyone on our roster after about week 5 that were even comparable to ANY of these names? We literally did not have ANY big time playmakers after we lost Holmes. And Sanchez was playing fine up until we lost Holmes and saw DK go down.

I don't think Sanchez is a great QB, but he deserves to actually be in a proven system. The WCO is best fit for him and his game actually. We are already on the hook for the money so let it play out IMO.

Do people not realize that Sam Bradford is kind of on a make or break year for him? If he struggles the Rams might move in a different direction. Who is their offensive coordinator? Oh yeah, Shottenheimer. If there is anyone that was handled incorrectly it was Sanchez.
    He was pretty much just as bad the year before with healthy wide receivers and Schottenheimer. It is true that he has less weapons than some others but that is only an excuse. Good receivers would not make much of a difference for Sanchez. He can't throw screens and short touch passes, he has terrible field vision, broadcasts his throws, throws a very difficult to catch ball, has no pocket presence and no ball security. He throws OK on the run.

He has not earned another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You going to call Geno, "Turnover7", too? He's not exactly known for his ball security and sure handedness.

trolling for the sake of trolling?

why yes, i will report this post.

Practice Squad
    I see a 3 way race - Sanchez, Smith, Garrard. McElroy and Simms will be on the roster into camp no matter what, but aren't real contenders.

I see it playing out 3 different ways:

1. Simms is automatically the Practice Squad guy. Sanchez wins the competition. Garrard is the #2, Geno is #3. McElroy is cut.

2. Simms is automatically the Practice Squad guy. Garrard is the starter. Geno is #2, McElroy is #3. Sanchez is cut.

3. Simms is automatically the Practice Squad guy. Geno is the starter. Garrard is #2, McElroy is #3. Sanchez is cut.

Synopsis is that Sanchez will NOT make it thru camp if he is not the week 1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    trolling for the sake of trolling?

why yes, i will report this post.
    Why do you think that? Because you disagree with it? I simply posted what an analyst had written. How is that trolling?

Are you that thin skinned that my post and link hurt your feelings? Geez.

Why do you think that? Because you disagree with it? I simply posted what an analyst had written. How is that trolling?

Are you that thin skinned that my post and link hurt your feelings? Geez.
    you're compromising the integrity of this forum.

there, i said it.

“Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

"Needed to be coddled"? Well Geno, you've found the right team. The Jets have a solid four years of coddling experience.

The guy can probably double his payday if he acts hurt that the Jets didn't take him in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    you're compromising the integrity of this forum.

there, i said it.

Is that a snub?

I'm TELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING!