46 26.59%
  • Smith

43 24.86%
  • McElroy

1 0.58%
  • Simms

3 1.73%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who wins the QB competition, based on what whe know today?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Hard to know what Idzik is thinking? I suspect that if Sanchez is on the roster he will be the best QB in camp. Geno is a rookie and Gerrard hasn't played in 2 years. If they want to develop Geno I like the idea of starting Gerrard and letting Geno sit. As far as the OC making the pick, I would be a little nervous in putting my trust in Marty.
    Fair enough.

I think MM will have a fairly big voice in deciding the quarterback he wants running his system. By all accounts, the offense has been put into his hands. I wouldn't put too much stock into his comments about Joey Harrington after he was already drafted by Detroit.

In terms of Idzik's thoughts, nobody really knows, but I lean toward Sanchez not being in the long term plans. If that's the case, Idzik will be better off taking the full cap hit on Sanchez this year and giving himself as much room and flexibility as possible to build the roster next year.

Based on the way Idzik sounded on the air yesterday, i think Sanchez is a goner.
    If Garrard can stay healthy, the logical choice as starter would be him until Geno is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Fair enough.

I think MM will have a fairly big voice in deciding the quarterback he wants running his system. By all accounts, the offense has been put into his hands. I wouldn't put too much stock into his comments about Joey Harrington after he was already drafted by Detroit.

In terms of Idzik's thoughts, nobody really knows, but I lean toward Sanchez not being in the long term plans. If that's the case, Idzik will be better off taking the full cap hit on Sanchez this year and giving himself as much room and flexibility as possible to build the roster next year.
    I hope so this idea that we should have competition at every position is insane. The only teams that have a QB competition are teams that don't have a starting QB. I'm hoping Sanchez is done but if they keep him don't be surprised if he outright wins the job.

If Geno is the guy they have to develop him not throw him to the wolves.

All Pro
    I hope so this idea that we should have competition at every position is insane.
    It's a standard line for a new GM on a rebuilding team. Tanny and Mangini were spouting the same thing in 2006.

I'm hoping Sanchez is done but if they keep him don't be surprised if he outright wins the job.
    It's a possibility, based strictly on experience. The fact is no one knows exactly how Sanchez will react to the new system.

It really depends on Geno himself. How quickly can he learn the system? How quickly can he pick up the speed of the NFL? How quickly can he improve his footwork?

I wouldn't sell him short. He has a ton of college experience, and a great skill set for the WC offense.

Sometimes the best way to grow is to experience. It all depends on the individual.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I say Smith. Why?

Because I think the GM has a long term plan and sitting a guy to learn from Sanchez or Garrard is a plan for losing.
    If he sits, it doesnt mean Smith will learn bad things. He can learn from their mistakes and coaches can still coach him.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Don't understand why Sanchez has so many votes.

There's a decent chance that he's not even on the roster a month from now.
    Two things, if this was possible it would have been done prior to or during the draft. Also, it would decrease the notion of competition, which Idzik has clearly installed.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    It's a standard line for a new GM on a rebuilding team. Tanny and Mangini were spouting the same thing in 2006.

It's a possibility, based strictly on experience. The fact is no one knows exactly how Sanchez will react to the new system.

It really depends on Geno himself. How quickly can he learn the system? How quickly can he pick up the speed of the NFL? How quickly can he improve his footwork?

I wouldn't sell him short. He has a ton of college experience, and a great skill set for the WC offense.

Sometimes the best way to grow is to experience. It all depends on the individual.
    A lot of good points there.

I don't think Garrard can stay healthy, otherwise I'd say him.

It will be between Sanchez and Smith and if it's close Smith will take it, but I'm not sure he will be on par mentally with Sanchez as soon as training camp ends. So with what we know now, i voted Sanchez.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 05-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    the days of rookie qb's being RAW is long gone...Geno could start...as for Garrard, he beat out tannyhill before getting hurt last year...its not like he has not touch a ball in 2 years...if sanchez wins the job that means he was playing lights out...if that happens, its not exactly a bad thing...it would only make him better trade bait if the jets unload him after the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    We should do this again closer to camp but for now...

Garrard- Hasn't played in 2 years, no relationship with the team\players
    Smith - Raw, needs time
    McElroy - Had hopes for him but after seeing him play last year, not so much
    Simms - Who?
    Face it, Sanchez looks good in practice, don't see how he can lose

If you had this poll right after the season no one would have picked Sanchez as having any chance of winning a legit competition against Mceloy let alone what he is facing now. That 63 supposedly sane people would vote Suckchez the single worst QB in the league the last 4 seasons as the favorite to win any legit competition is astounding. People need to get a reality check.

If it was a truly fair competition Garrard, Geno, and Mclroy would make it out of OTA'S and minicamps with the but fumbler as the clear loser.

Veteran
    It's not about who's the best QB out of these...

I think Garrard and his 61.6 career completion percentage will win. That is if another injury requiring surgery suddenly doesn't pop up.

The Jets look like an offensive powerhouse on paper right now. Garrard has a 7 yard passing average and Ivory has a 5 yard rushing average.

The Jets may not need a 3rd down all season.

Jets Insider VIP
    anybody but turnover6

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    If you had this poll right after the season no one would have picked Sanchez as having any chance of winning a legit competition against Mceloy let alone what he is facing now. That 63 supposedly sane people would vote Suckchez the single worst QB in the league the last 4 seasons as the favorite to win any legit competition is astounding. People need to get a reality check.

If it was a truly fair competition Garrard, Geno, and Mclroy would make it out of OTA'S and minicamps with the but fumbler as the clear loser.
    I think the poll results have more to do with 8.5MM and fans wanting Geno to learn and earn the starting roll

The "starter" will face Revis paired with two of the best young safeties in the league followed by the pats on the road in four days - not exactly a prize

I hope so this idea that we should have competition at every position is insane. The only teams that have a QB competition are teams that don't have a starting QB. I'm hoping Sanchez is done but if they keep him don't be surprised if he outright wins the job.

I'm sure both HC and GM realize they can NOT put Sanchez on the field at ANY home game. Sanchez will be booed the minute he walks on the field. Any mistake and it will be off the charts. Sanchez will not be on the team either just before or after June 1.

No team can have that - Garrard will start and as soon as they feel like Geno is ready they will go to him.

I know you guys are saying he hasn't played in two years, but assuming he's healthy he would have been playing QB for 3 months in practice.

After doing something for 25 years of your life, taking off two years- it doesn't really take very long to get back to form.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 05-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm sure both HC and GM realize they can NOT put Sanchez on the field at ANY home game. Sanchez will be booed the minute he walks on the field. Any mistake and it will be off the charts. Sanchez will not be on the team either just before or after June 1.

No team can have that - Garrard will start and as soon as they feel like Geno is ready they will go to him.

I know you guys are saying he hasn't played in two years, but assuming he's healthy he would have been playing QB for 3 months in practice.

After doing something for 25 years of your life, taking off two years- it doesn't really take very long to get back to form.
    He played in practice the last two years. Garrad elected to have surgury on a herniated disk in 2011 after he was cut for Gabbert. Then he had arthroscopic surgery in training camp(once again elective with 2-4 week recovery) last year because he had soreness in his knee. He would have been back to start to start the season, but Tannehill looked good so they released him. Now I'm sure Garrard is seeing deja vu with another QB being drafted, but he is not injury prone. That's just misinformation. A lot of that around here.

I voted Smith. McElroy and Simms are not talented enough. Garrard is simply too old. Sanchez sucks. The only logical conclusion is to give the new young guy with promise an opportunity.

All Pro
    There is nothing to be gained by starting Sanchez. Nothing.

His salary is a waste of cap money whether he is on the team or not - so get him off the team, make a clean break, and move on.

If Sanchez takes another meaningful snap for the Jets, it's a mistake IMHO.

Clinging to past hope that he might turn into something is foolish - he's getting worse, not better. He's not going to suddenly play great and emerge as a franchise QB. He's not going to play well enough to attract trade suitors. The Jets are not bad enough to earn the top pick in the 2014 draft, even if Sanchez is somehow still the QB.

No benefit to playing him. No benefit to keeping him. Take the bitter pill, cut him and move on with Garrard, Geno and G-Mac.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 05-02-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    There is nothing to be gained by starting Sanchez. Nothing.

His salary is a waste of cap money whether he is on the team or not - so get him off the team, make a clean break, and move on.

If Sanchez takes another meaningful snap for the Jets, it's a mistake IMHO.

Clinging to paste hope that he might turn into something is foolish - he's getting worse, not better. He's not going to suddenly play great and emerge as a franchise QB. He's not going to play well enough to attract trade suitors. The Jets are not bad enough to earn the top pick in the 2014 draft, even if Sanchez is somehow still the QB.

No benefit to playing him. No benefit to keeping him. Take the bitter pill, cut him and move on with Garrard, Geno and G-Mac.
    ABSOLUTELY

Handing Turnover6 the job would be like a dose of cyanide for the Jets.

And I clearly prefer Dalwhinnie 15 as my beverage of choice

I agree but I wonder if Idzik is serious about competition at every position. If so I suspect Sanchez will outright win the QB competition in camp. The fact that there is little benefit to cutting him means he is likely in camp. What is going to be painful to must of us is the reality that he actually was the best QB in camp last year and with a rookie and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years might well be the best in camp this year?

Those of you who really wanted competition might actually get it and be very unhappy with the results.

Hopefully Idzik has been lying to us.

I agree but I wonder if Idzik is serious about competition at every position. If so I suspect Sanchez will outright win the QB competition in camp. The fact that there is little benefit to cutting him means he is likely in camp. What is going to be painful to must of us is the reality that he actually was the best QB in camp last year and with a rookie and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years might well be the best in camp this year?

Those of you who really wanted competition might actually get it and be very unhappy with the results.

Hopefully Idzik has been lying to us.
    I don't disagree that if there's a competition Sanchez would win it (he seems to be a very good practice QB) and I think Idzik is being honest...

I just don't think Sanchez will be in camp. Someone will give up a 5th rounder for him (there's your benefit for getting rid of him)

Jets paying his salary, former #5 pick overall - there's someone out there that'll think they can fix him. And he would make a serviceable back-up.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't disagree that if there's a competition Sanchez would win it (he seems to be a very good practice QB) and I think Idzik is being honest...

I just don't think Sanchez will be in camp. Someone will give up a 5th rounder for him (there's your benefit for getting rid of him)

Jets paying his salary, former #5 pick overall - there's someone out there that'll think they can fix him. And he would make a serviceable back-up.
    If he is traded the Jets no longer pay his salary, the team trading for Sanchez pays him. There is zero chance a team gives up a 5th to get Sanchez unless their #1,2, and 3 QBs get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If he is traded the Jets no longer pay his salary, the team trading for Sanchez pays him. There is zero chance a team gives up a 5th to get Sanchez unless their #1,2, and 3 QBs get hurt.
    Isn't the bulk of what the Jets owe Sanchez bonus money? I honestly don't know how it's broken down but I thought most of it was money the Jets are on the line for either way.