46 26.59%
  • Smith

43 24.86%
  • McElroy

1 0.58%
  • Simms

3 1.73%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wins the QB competition, based on what whe know today?

Jets Insider VIP
    If Turnover starts, the Jets have another disaster of a season.

If Garrard starts, we have half a chance in 2013

period

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I think it will be Geno, simply because he's much more talented than hotdog butt.
    best- sig- eva

It won't be Simms; that's the only certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Geno.

I don't buy that he is too raw.

Ryan Tannehill had 774 career pass attempts in college.
    Geno had 1465 pass attempts in his college career.

Tannehill completed 61 percent of his passes in his senior year.
    Geno completed 71.2 percent.

Not making an argument that Geno is a better prospect, just that he is not raw. Geno was a 3 year starter at a big time program.
    Tannehill's OC in Miami was his head coach at Texas A&M and he was a better prospect that Geno.

Geno is sitting for at least 6 weeks or so, maybe longer.

If Garrard stays healthy, he'll start. If not, it will be Sanchez. If Garrard starts, he'll hold onto the job for as long as he stays healthy. If he gets hurt after 5-6 games, we go to Geno; before 5-6 games, we go to Sanchez.

If Sanchez is the opening day starter, he'll start until he strings together back to back stinkers. If it happens out of the gate, we go to Garrard; if he holds up until midway through the season, we go to Geno.

Regardless of who wins the camp battle, there's a 95% chance that Geno starts at some point this season.

I think Simms should start. He has the best QB Pedigree

Let Sanchoke go into camp with a shot to start.. I'd let Geno sit a few games, maybe bring him in halfway into season. If Sanchez starts and tanks early, maybe see Geno sooner.. If Sanchez somehow on earth does decent the 1st 3 games hopefully there is some trade value, get him ou of town for 6th or 7th rounder before he does start to tank again..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Let Sanchoke go into camp with a shot to start.. I'd let Geno sit a few games, maybe bring him in halfway into season. If Sanchez starts and tanks early, maybe see Geno sooner.. If Sanchez somehow on earth does decent the 1st 3 games hopefully there is some trade value, get him ou of town for 6th or 7th rounder before he does start to tank again..
    IF he starts the season, I say yank him after his first turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Sanchez will be and should be the starter. Guys on this board are way over the top on Smith, there is a reason why he lasted until pick 39. When is the last time a big time QB came from West Virgina. This guy will be a below average NFL QB.
    QB Major Harris? I don't think he played in NFL & probably went to Canada. He was fun to watch in college!

On a side note WR Reggie Rembert was the last player from WV we had. He played for the Bengals....

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    elaborate
    He says that because it is obvious the team has no plans to start him but for some reason some of you are still holding on to him as a diamond in the rough or something. He sucks. The whole league knows it. The JETS coaching staff and team as a whole knows it. There is 0 reason to think he ever starts anther game in his career. Let it go he is done.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Don't understand why Sanchez has so many votes.

There's a decent chance that he's not even on the roster a month from now.

Hall Of Fame

has anyone watched this less than 500 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    . There is 0 reason to think he ever starts anther game in his career. Let it go he is done.
    Well, maybe one: "Ryan said there’s no guarantee Sanchez or rookie Geno Smith will be the team’s starting quarterback next season, but did say the public would see the best Sanchez they’ve ever seen."

Or 2: Idzik added that he thinks Sanchez is invigorated by the newness inside the team’s headquarters.

Again, not saying he should start, but there are lots of reasons he might.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

based on recent wide receiver play, I dont think it matters who the QB is.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

This. Garrard v. Geno - the end. I hope to god Garrard starts week one. If the Jets are competitive with him in there, great. Geno gets to sit and learn. If the Jets suck with Garrard starting, great. Geno can take over week 9 and get some experience with minimal pressure/expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

I found it, Cristina Del Basso.. You're welcome!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

+1

Sanchez is done in NY. At this point, it's about eliminating his future cap hit in 2014.

It seems like many people are underestimating Geno. He has a very good skill set for the WC offense. He's a quick learner. The offensive coordinator supposedly loves him.

In my opinion, the chances of him starting from day 1 are fairly high.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

Sanchez is done in NY. At this point, it's about eliminating his future cap hit in 2014.

It seems like many people are underestimating Geno. He has a very good skill set for the WC offense. He's a quick learner. The offensive coordinator supposedly loves him.

In my opinion, the chances of him starting from day 1 are fairly high.
    Hard to know what Idzik is thinking? I suspect that if Sanchez is on the roster he will be the best QB in camp. Geno is a rookie and Gerrard hasn't played in 2 years. If they want to develop Geno I like the idea of starting Gerrard and letting Geno sit. As far as the OC making the pick, I would be a little nervous in putting my trust in Marty.

Saturday, April 20, 2002
    Updated: April 23, 2:10 PM ET

Mornhinweg gets his man in Harrington
    By Len Paquarelli
    ESPN.com

What could have been an insufferable exercise for Joey Harrington, a player universally regarded as the No. 2 quarterback candidate in the 2002 draft but a prospect so uncertain of his own spot in the lottery that he canceled a planned trip to New York for the proceedings, ended less than 40 minutes into the vigil.

Harrington quickly moved from the microscope to the spotlight, chosen third overall by the Detroit Lions, who like many teams had debated his merits for the past several weeks. If there remain any doubts about Harrington's arm strength, one of the question marks that had been raised by talent evaluators, there is no denying the strength of his conviction.

Joey Harrington didn't attend the draft in person because of uncertainty on when he'd be selected.

"No matter where I was picked," said Harrington after the suspense became an overhyped subplot, "I feel like I am going to be pretty successful (in the NFL) over a long period of time. I'm sure happy I didn't have to wait very long to get a chance to get started. But I know that if I went (third) or even 103rd, I'm a good player. And that's what I concentrated on when everyone was talking about me slipping in the (first) round."

The decision to select Harrington, hardly the "unanimous" choice that Detroit president Matt Millen insisted it was, crystallized in 48-72 hours preceding the draft. The initiative was supplied by Lions ownership, which felt the passion demonstrated by coach Marty Mornhinweg overshadowed the split sentiments in the organization and knew that a club moving into a new stadium needs a high-profile performer.

Another key factor was that neither Millen nor the Detroit scouts were in agreement on any of the other possible choices, such as Texas cornerback Quentin Jammer, the player most experts had assigned at the Lions' No. 3 spot.

Earlier in the spring, when Mornhinweg seemed almost too eager at times to discuss the physical skills of Harrington, it appeared the coach was more concerned with creating a smoke screen. Conventional wisdom held that because Mornhinweg was so enamored with second-year quarterback Mike McMahon, who finished 2001 as the starter, all he was trying to do was create a market for teams interested in trading up for Harrington.

More surprising than the Lions' selection of Harrington, though, was the lack of action Detroit got from teams pursuing the Oregon quarterback. In fact, team sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the only serious suitor seeking to move up for Harrington was Washington, and the Redskins lacked the ammunition to swap all the way up from 18th.
    The Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Chargers spoke casually with Detroit about moving into the third spot, but they were looking at other prospects, not Harrington.

Why Harrington?
    Mark Malone: Does this have to do with the Lions wanting to put butts in the seats?
    Simeon Rice: This pick makes no sense to me. Mike McMahon is off the hook. I don't know why they'd want Harrington at this point.

Corey Chavous: Even though the Lions picked Harrington, don't count out Mike McMahon right now -- can you ever have enough QBs?

Matt Light: Mike McMahon should be enough to put butts in the seats -- he's a super exciting player to watch.

Tim Brown: The unfortunate thing about this pick is that it now makes McMahon wonder about his ability. I'm sure they told him they were planning on taking Harrington, but this can't be a good feeling for him right now.
    -- ESPN.com's audio draft roundtable

Had the Lions not selected Harrington, though, his wait wouldn't have lasted much longer. Buffalo, with the next choice, would have taken him.
    "I just think he's got special tools, both mentally and physically, to tell you the truth," Mornhinweg said. "He can make all the throws, everyone knows that, but what he has goes beyond throwing the football. Joey has great poise and leadership. Even on tape, you can see his team rallying up around him, and how many times did he bring them back in the fourth quarter?"
    Over the past two seasons, Harrington resuscitated Oregon from 11 fourth-quarter deficits, and his calm displayed in those situations became a trademark.

Recalled former Ducks cornerback Rashad Bauman, another prospect in the 2002 draft: "If we needed to go 80 yards for a touchdown and there was one minute remaining and we had a timeout, shoot, we knew we were going to win. No defense was going to stop Joey in that kind of situation. He did it so many times, he became like a miracle man, and we all believed in him."
    If not all the Lions believe yet in Harrington, he could quickly make converts, and all he need use as his proselytizing tool is his track record. Harrington started 28 college contests. He completed 512 of 928 passes for 6,911 yards, with 59 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions. In 2001, he threw 27 touchdown passes but just six interceptions.
    More significant than those passing statistics, though, is this number: In the 106 seasons in which Oregon fielded a football team before Harrington became the starter, the school posted just two seasons with 10 or more victories. Harrington led the team to double digit wins in both his seasons as the starter.
    "I listened to all the doubts about him that people were espousing the last month or so and I laughed," said Oregon coach Mike Bellotti. "The guy is the greatest competitor I have ever seen. That's all you need to know."
    Harrington, 23, will need that competitive nature. Despite his high first-round status, the Lions brain trust emphasized Saturday he will not be handed the starting job. The guess is that not only will McMahon go to camp as the starter, but will open the year as such. But it might not take long for Harrington to supplant him.
    From his standpoint, Harrington wasn't prepared on Saturday to start worrying about a timetable. This is a young man, after all, who wasn't sure whether the wait for his name to be called should be timed with a stopwatch or an hour glass.
    "As tough as the past few months have been, getting ready for that, the hard work really starts now," Harrington said. "But I'm ready for it."
    Len Pasquarelli is an ESPN.com senior writer.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Wishful thinking!

In reality:

Garrard was well on his way to the starting job with Miami last year THEN was injured. Is a much more competant QB and very secure in the pocket. Throws few interceptions and never has had a buttfumble!
    McElroy with a better OL has the brains and guts to play the position plus he was a champion in college in the tough SEC. Sucky barely got to play until finale year!

Geno is raw but very talented. has excellent pocket awareness and a tremendous arm.

IF IT IS A FAIR and open competition run by IDZIK& MM and not WRECKS only, I think Garrard will win out! Then I see McElroy holding the clipboard and Geno as#3. Sucky will be enroute to the CFL to join Tebow in Montreal and the circus will start again.
    Garrard wasn't injured. He got hurt. While he was hurt the kid looked good so they decided to let Garrard go. He would have been back to start the season. People make it sound like he's coming back from 2 major injuries.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

Just trying to figure out where all that water is coming from. Purely scientific.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I think Simms should start. He has the best QB Pedigree
    Yeah that's it. I heard Geno's father was a horrible QB, and Garrards's father never even played football. Simms it is.