Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WAY Too Early 53 Projection

The WAY Too Early 53 Projection

Offense (26)

QB (3):
    Garrard, Sanchez, Smith (yes, in that order. Smith is the emergency QB and inactive on game days until he shows he's ready to start)

RB (4):
    Ivory
    Goodson
    Powell
    McKnight (McKnight will be cut if there is any intriguing player at another position we need a roster spot for; no need to keep a KR with one year left on his deal if we need the spot)

FB (1):
    Bohannon

OL (9)
    Ferguson
    Colon
    Mangold
    Howard
    Winters
    Aboushi
    Schlauderoff
    Ducasse (yes)
    Peterman (Campbell goes to the Practice Squad to work on the transition to OG)

TE (3)
    Cumberland
    Smith
    Pantale

WR (6)
    Holmes
    Kerley
    Hill
    White
    Gates
    Rogers

Special Teams (3):

K: Folk
    LS: Purdum
    P: Malone

Defense (24)

DL (6)
    Wilkerson
    Coples
    Richardson
    Garay
    Ellis
    Harrison

LB (8)
    Barnes
    Harris
    Davis
    Pace
    McIntyre
    Bellore
    Mauga
    T. Davis (shot in the dark - they don't love Sapp and Davis seems to have the measurables to play rush OLB)

DB (10)
    Cromartie
    Milliner
    Wilson
    Berry
    Lankster
    Fletcher
    Landry
    Bush
    Allen
    Miles

Looks about right.

Only thing that stuck out to me is the TE position. Cumberland is a given, but I think it's fair to say that Konrad Reuland will have the edge over Hayden Smith or one of the UDFAs. Reuland was decent in his role last year and shows room for improvement, while Smith has the size and athleticism to develop.

I think it will be Cumberland, Reuland and Smith, with one of the UDFAs on the practice squad. Of course, a training camp cut could throw a wrench in that!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Not bad.

TE, LB, and S still need upgrades. We've got bodies but not much talent at those positions.

I think the Jets antenna will be up for any players at those positions that hit the waiver wire as camp casualties.

It's also possible we sign someone off another team's practice squad at one of those positions.

We need one of our resident JI personnel experts to chime in with who could become possible candidates from other teams. For example, is there a team out there sitting on 4 solid TEs or has an extra S or OLB that we could see hitting the street?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Rookie
    Here is a website I like that keeps our roster up to date. I think they are mostly right on about our depth chart too.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

why would we cut mcnight...he is a probowl level KR...who is replacing him if we cut him?

I must have way too much time on my hands today. BUT, looking at current NFL depth charts, there are a few names at TE that may shake loose in camp...

Orson Charles - CIN - currently 4th behind Gresham, Eifert and Alex Smith.
    Michael Egnew - MIA - may be gone after Dolphins drafted Dion Sims.
    Mickey Shuler - OAK - just for ****s and giggles, he's on a packed TE depth chart in Oakland.
    Garrett Celek - SF - younger Celek who has 4 career catches.

Those are just four I gleaned from looking those over. Unspectacular I know, but you never know who Idzik or Morningwheg have kept their eye on over the years who may have starting potential.

All Pro
    Tebow is available. Seriously I heard we could have gotten a draft pick for him if was willing to switch positions, but his agents said he refused. Anyone feeling sorry for him should follow him to Canada where the field is long and wide, and the Tebows run free.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    why would we cut mcnight...he is a probowl level KR...who is replacing him if we cut him?
    I agree. McKnight is a decent talent and on a team devoid of speed and playmaking ability he should stick around. Unfortunately, there looks to be a numbers problem forming at the RB position. We have 4 guys, most of whom are pretty good, but none of whom are true studs.

What about McKnight ending up listed as a WR for roster purposes? He's predominately a KR anyway. Maybe we sneak him on as the 6th WR instead of Rogers???

All Pro
    He's still on the team. I would guess that if someone shows they can replace him he will be traded. If not he will stay. Then again, along with everyone else, a real OC may find a way to use him. They need to teach him how to hold onto the ball first though. We really need a punt returner as well though. I doubt we keep two guys for only returns. I actually hope they've been working with him on his cover skills. Could make a nice safety.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    I must have way too much time on my hands today. BUT, looking at current NFL depth charts, there are a few names at TE that may shake loose in camp...

Orson Charles - CIN - currently 4th behind Gresham, Eifert and Alex Smith.
    Michael Egnew - MIA - may be gone after Dolphins drafted Dion Sims.
    Mickey Shuler - OAK - just for ****s and giggles, he's on a packed TE depth chart in Oakland.
    Garrett Celek - SF - younger Celek who has 4 career catches.

Those are just four I gleaned from looking those over. Unspectacular I know, but you never know who Idzik or Morningwheg have kept their eye on over the years who may have starting potential.
    The TOJ guys suggested Brent Celek as well considering his familiarity with Mornhinweg. I just looked up his contract on OverTheCap.com and it says they can cut him and save $3.331 million against the cap with $1.2 million in dead money. So it looks like if they want to roll with Casey/Ertz this year, Celek could easily be expendable. Then again, I have no idea what Chip Kelly is doing with his offense this year and could easily want to keep three legitimate TEs.

QB (3) - Garrard, Smith, McElroy
    FB (1) - Bohanon
    RB (4) - Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight
    WR (6) - Holmes, Hill, Kerley, White, Spadola, Rogers
    TE (4) - Cumberland, Spantale, Reuland, Smith
    OL (8) - Ferguson, Colon, Mangold, Winters, Howard, Peterman, Aboushi, Campbell

DL (6) - Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Garay, Ellis, Harrison
    LB (8) - Harris, Davis, McIntyre, Bellore, Barnes, Pace, Sapp, Mauga
    DB (10) - Cromartie, Milliner, Landry, Bush, Allen, Trufant, Berry, Lankster, Walls, Fletcher

K (1) - Folk
    P (1) - Malone
    LS (1) - Purdum

He *is* a probowl level KR. But Goodson is also a damn good kick returner (has averaged 20-25 yards a return on some bad specials teams), and a team this far from competing doesn't need a 1 trick pony like McKnight taking up a roster spot if there's a developmental prospect who projects to something bigger down the road in need of that spot. That's especially true when that one trick pony is only under contract for this year

I haven't read, but what is Cincinnati going to do with Gresham? Dual TE?

I can't imagine they'd release him, but they're going to lose him to FA when his contract expires eventually.

Donnie Fletcher is not making this team. Too slow and no athleticism. The DB to look out for is UDFA CB Mike Edwards. He s a poor mans Ray Mickens and will contribute immediately as a return man

Offense (25)

QB (3):Garrard, Smith, (Pre-season veteran cut)
    RB (3):Ivory, Goodson, Powell (McKnight will be traded for a 2014 late rd pick)
    FB (1):Bohannon
    OL (9): Ferguson, Winters, Mangold, Moore (will be resigned), Howard, Aboushi, Schlauderaff, Colon, Campbell
    TE (3): Cumberland, Reuland, Smith
    WR (6): Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Edwards, Spadola, White

Special Teams (3):

K: Folk
    LS: Purdum
    P: Malone

Defense (25)

DL (6): Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Garay, Ellis, Harrison

LB (8): Barnes, Harris, Davis, Pace, McIntyre, Mauga, Bellore, (TC casualty)

DB (11): Cromartie, Milliner, Wilson, Landry, Allen, Bush, Miles, Edwards, Berry, Lankster, Trufant

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I haven't read, but what is Cincinnati going to do with Gresham? Dual TE?

I can't imagine they'd release him, but they're going to lose him to FA when his contract expires eventually.
    That's what I'd have to believe as well. He's certainly not getting cut or anything like that next year, and I don't imagine them trading him. He's got two more years left on his deal, so I'd imagine they'd try the dual TE move this year and likely next.

I'm not a Dalton fan, but now he's got three 6'4" guys to throw it to in the red zone. Not too shabby.

Not cutting McKnight.

Also, I would definitely hit up the Titans & see what it'll take to get Kenny Britt.
    I know he had a few off-field issues in the past (especially in NJ), but if he stays in the clear then we might have a top 3 WR this year for a mid-round pick. Would easily trade another 4th for an established NFL player. Plus we're going to get a lot of compensation picks next yr anyway.

Kenny Britt would be like the Braylon Edwards trade x's 100. Younger & faster. Doesn't seem to want to be a Titan & Titans seem to be ready to move on without him.

We need to sign Steve shields CB.

We also need to go after Brandon Albert for our RT if he is willing to play there.
    He could solve a lot of problems. Winters Albert and Hayden smith on the right side opening holes. We might even get suckzise good enough to lead back to the AFCCG then we can trade him for a boat load of picks for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by star95 View Post
    We also need to go after Brandon Albert for our RT if he is willing to play there.
    He could solve a lot of problems. Winters Albert and Hayden smith on the right side opening holes. We might even get suckzise good enough to lead back to the AFCCG then we can trade him for a boat load of picks for next year.
    Zero chance of happening on many levels:

1) The whole point of him being on the trading block is that he is reluctant to play RT. Much harder to cash in playing on the right side.

2) We don't have the money for that. Besides, I wouldn't want to shell out big bucks and a brand new contract to someone who is already 29 given the state of our team.

3) Austin Howard is young, cheap, and an above average run blocker. While he's not an awesome pass blocker, we are getting great value out of him if we weigh performance vs. salary.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    QB (3) - Garrard, Smith, McElroy
    FB (1) - Bohanon
    RB (4) - Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight
    WR (6) - Holmes, Hill, Kerley, White, Spadola, Rogers
    TE (4) - Cumberland, Spantale, Reuland, Smith
    OL (8) - Ferguson, Colon, Mangold, Winters, Howard, Peterman, Aboushi, Campbell

DL (6) - Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Garay, Ellis, Harrison
    LB (8) - Harris, Davis, McIntyre, Bellore, Barnes, Pace, Sapp, Mauga
    DB (10) - Cromartie, Milliner, Landry, Bush, Allen, Trufant, Berry, Lankster, Walls, Fletcher

K (1) - Folk
    P (1) - Malone
    LS (1) - Purdum
    Looks ok except I think Campbell goes to the practice squad while he learns the new position. Ducasse is still useful as a depth player, good for goal line blocking. jumbo package.