Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Fixed.
    That's cheap. I'm offended.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    If he believed in guarantees, then the Jets drafted a dummy.
    He wanted to be #1 overall? Then we have someone with delusions of grandeur.
    only Manish said anything about the #1 overall, and that's hardly a reliable/objective source on anything Jets related.

but the fact that Geno was in the Green Room on Thursday and that his agent had OTHER PLANS on Friday seems to indicate that the agents felt pretty strongly that Smith was going in the first round.

As Bill Parcells used to say.. "You are what you are"!!

If he was considered a first round pick then somebody would have taken him..

He wasn't the only QB that fell... He should know that..

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    already, this tells us that our new field leader is dumb.
    No; he's just introverted.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Someone had to say it.
    I just wouldn't have guessed Juels Santanna

All Pro
    No sources actually reported they guaranteed him anything. That was speculative rationalization and wishful thinking. No professional agent would have thought the chiefs were taking him. They'd be out of business by now.
    His inability to come up with an explanation doesn't speak well for him. I called prima donna months ago and I'm sticking to it until given a reason otherwise
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Yes, let's all take the words of Manish and Geno's former agents at face value.

It's been reported by other sources that the agents guaranteed Geno a first round selection, hence his presence in the Green Room. To the point that the agent had made other plans for Friday and went to see other clients, he wasn't in NYC with Geno when he got drafted in the 2nd round.

the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    No sources actually reported they guaranteed him anything. That was speculative rationalization and wishful thinking. No professional agent would have thought the chiefs were taking him. They'd be out of business by now.
    His inability to come up with an explanation doesn't speak well for him. I called prima bonna months ago and I'm sticking to it until given a reason otherwise
    You have to know what you want from life. "First Things First".

Rookie
    Maybe it was just personal. That does happen somebody pissing you off.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Another report that I find a bit unsettling:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html
    sounds like a rookie to me.

Deadspin's account of what happened. And I've been saying even before this that it's certainly the most likely scenario.

http://deadspin.com/why-did-geno-smi...ium=socialflow

We spoke to a person close to Geno Smith, because while a player switching agencies isn't unique, it's often done for interesting reasons. Our source says that while Select Sports "absolutely told Geno he'd go No. 1," that was at the beginning of their partnership, and it's par for the course for agents to promise their clients the world. Smith is less bothered by that promise, the person says, than by Nalley and Burkhardt attempting to portray it as the sole reason for his move.

Smith, we're told, was more upset that Select Sports handled him like a potential high pick, failing to do the sorts of things that could have improved his draft position. Our source says Smith wanted to take part in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for talent looking to move up, but his agents convinced him to skip it. When Pro Football Weekly issued a scathing scouting report, calling Smith "not committed or focused" and deriding his "marginal work ethic," Smith was disappointed that his agents did nothing to combat the negative press it created, our source says.

Smith also felt betrayed, perhaps unfairly, when Jeff Nalley had two of his quarterback clients sign with teams that might have been landing spots for Smith—Chase Daniel in Kansas City and Kevin Kolb in Buffalo. (This argument doesn't hold much water after the Bills traded down to take E.J. Manuel.)

Our source—and, remember, this is someone from Smith's camp talking—claims Smith came to terms with his potential draft plunge weeks before the draft, and takes the blame for not being as polished a prospect as he could have been, both on and off the field. We openly speculated on some of the pre-draft preparation an agent gives a player, but the person close to Smith says he didn't make his call based on that, or on not going No. 1. "He just felt like he needed a change, and that's the end of the story," the person says. Which means it's clearly just the beginning.

Bewildered Beast
    Geno strikes me as definitely introverted; take him off the gridiron or out of the film room and he will shrink back as first order. This is about personal comfort and not whether he is a leader; if the offense scores TD's all will be forgiven.

Therefore - Geno is NOT ready for "a shot" in the NFL. Bring this guy along slow, as so many on here say.

Another report that I find a bit unsettling:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html
    I'd be curious to know who it was that he "wouldn't talk to".... Maybe he didn't want to play for that team!

By all accounts, he seems VERY happy to be a Jet and I think he likes MM and the Jets staff/situation.

He wants to come in and play. Maybe it was Buffalo and he was like, yeah... no thanks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    This is the first crack in the dam. I'm tired of the drama already.
    hit the nail right on the head

I am all in on Geno but after watching him pout at the draft and now this, something tells me here comes Vince Young part deux.

Wait, you mean hacks like Florio and Mehta ran with a jilted agent's side of the story? I'm shocked. Shocked. I tell you.

The Jets have become quite the soap opera, but I'm trying not to let this Geno Smith stuff bother me too much. Winning quarterbacks, remember, come in all shapes and sizes. You have the cerebral (Matt Ryan), the intense perfectionists (Peyton Manning), the charming gentlemen (RG3, Andrew Luck), the simple souls (Eli) and the dirtbags (Ben Roethlesberger, Tommy Boy). There's no personality litmus test for great quarterbacks. So even if Geno does have an overblown ego and a gigantic chip on his shoulder, I'd still wear his jersey if he can be a consistent winner who doesn't turn the ball over 26 times per season.

Banned
    If this guy becomes a great QB for us, then I don't give a sh!t if he's a prima donna.

from rotoworld

Several NFL executives who spent "extensive time" with Jets rookie Geno Smith before the draft believe Smith faces significant NFL roadblocks because he's "tuned out" and fails to realize he doesn't know everything.

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft visits. "All these other players were talking to coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    The Jets have become quite the soap opera, but I'm trying not to let this Geno Smith stuff bother me too much. Winning quarterbacks, remember, come in all shapes and sizes. You have the cerebral (Matt Ryan), the intense perfectionists (Peyton Manning), the charming gentlemen (RG3, Andrew Luck), the simple souls (Eli) and the dirtbags (Ben Roethlesberger, Tommy Boy). There's no personality litmus test for great quarterbacks. So even if Geno does have an overblown ego and a gigantic chip on his shoulder, I'd still wear his jersey if he can be a consistent winner who doesn't turn the ball over 26 times per season.
    For better or worse, everyone on that list is perceived as a strong leader of their team.

It's early yet. Let's hope Geno has the real fire in his belly.