Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    God this thread is awful. I've loved this team since I was 9 years old, but man do we have some chickensh*t "fans". How do we know what went on between Geno and his reps? We don't. I don't believe Mehta for a second, this is just too perfect for the dramatic angle he's always pulling.

Geno just got boned out of his first chance to get super-paid. Probably due to his agents not coaching him up properly going into interviews (Nawrocki) or not hyping him up right before the draft. He was indisputably the best QB in this class. He wasn't the first taken. Heads will roll.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You have no idea what the agents 'sold' him. They have no control over it anyway, what were they supposed to do, pay off a GM?
    Nope. But they were supposed to set his expectations accordingly. Putting him in a suit in the Green Room at Radio City on Thursday night thinking he was going in Round 1 was CLEARLY a bad idea. People talk about Aaron Rogers having to wait hours to be drafted....at least he went on that same day. Geno went to sleep on Thursday night still undrafted.

Of course they weren't going to pay off a GM but these agents, at least the good ones, have a very, VERY good idea of the best case and worst case for their clients. It's their responsibility to set those expectations appropriately (see "Rex Ryan guarantees Super Bowl").
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Disagree. I don't think it's a douchy move. If you had a lawyer who told you to turn down a $1M settlement and let a trial go to jury, and you end up with a $250K award wouldn't you be disappointed? You would have gotten bad advice and you should absolutely find different representation for your next big decision.
    Your analogy would be applicable to free agency, as something similar to your scenario occurred with James Harrison this year. But this is a draft, and who didn't have Geno as a first round pick? He can't control where he goes, and he certainly can't control the moves that 32 teams have to make that weekend to make their team better. If his name isn't within those first 5, 10, 20, or 32 announcements, then he only has himself to blame. Sometimes I wonder why these guys just don't declare as rookie free agents so they can somewhat pave their own future. It'd make a lot more sense than putting yourself in a situation that limits your control and then you get butt-hurt when you don't go when/where you thought you would.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JmercJETS View Post
    We wont be negotiating anything until year 3, so thankfully by then we'll know if he's worth the big money

And unlike Darrelle Revis, who only wanted to get paid like a QB, Geno actually is one.
    So if he plays well I don't care who his agents are
    this is true, ESPECIALLY the bold!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Very hard to see anything positive in this for the Jets. From a financial standpoint, we are protected by the CBA sot he agent's role is relatively minor for the first contract. But this might speak to his character if he is blaming someone else for the fact that he didn't go number 1 overall.

And if he hires those 2 cvnts we should just let him walk.
    This is what has me worried. Thank the gods he's only #39

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    His agent deserved to be fired. The agent should know where his client is realistically going to go. There is a reason why players in the green room are almost always picked is because they know they won't be humiliated. Bad job by the agent either in not getting a real sense of where his client might go OR not communicating what he already knew.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truth is no one knows what went on besides Geno and his agent so why dont we wait until more details come out and we get both sides of the story before we start speculating?

People quickly forget that this is a business. If he thinks firing his agent was the right move for his career than I cant knock the guy.

Let it play out before you guys jump the gun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Rodgers has fired his agents twice in his career.

Eli Manning refused to play for the team that drafted him No.1 overall, forced a trade to the Giants.

what do the two have in common?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Very hard to see anything positive in this for the Jets. From a financial standpoint, we are protected by the CBA sot he agent's role is relatively minor for the first contract. But this might speak to his character if he is blaming someone else for the fact that he didn't go number 1 overall.
    Apparently he has an extremely high opinion of himself and convinced himself he should have been drafted first overall. And despite the practiced words he mouthed upon being drafted (it's a blessing, it doesn't matter where I was drafted) designed to sound good for the media, he really does have hurt feelings and has to lash out now.

UGH!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Nope. But they were supposed to set his expectations accordingly. Putting him in a suit in the Green Room at Radio City on Thursday night thinking he was going in Round 1 was CLEARLY a bad idea. People talk about Aaron Rogers having to wait hours to be drafted....at least he went on that same day. Geno went to sleep on Thursday night still undrafted.

Of course they weren't going to pay off a GM but these agents, at least the good ones, have a very, VERY good idea of the best case and worst case for their clients. It's there responsibility to set those expectations appropriately (see "Rex Ryan guarantees Super Bowl").
    Perfectly stated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    God this thread is awful. I'

Geno just got boned out of his first chance to get super-paid. Probably due to his agents not coaching him up properly going into interviews (Nawrocki) or not hyping him up right before the draft. He was indisputably the best QB in this class. He wasn't the first taken. Heads will roll.
    Really? According to everyone here he was stellar and articulate and intelligent and aced his Gruden interview.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a toolbag

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Geno wants Tavon Austin's agent Joel Segal.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Really? According to everyone here he was stellar and articulate and intelligent and aced his Gruden interview.
    I'm not saying he wasn't. I've liked all the interviews he's given with newyorkjets.com, think he comes off as intelligent and humble. But when some draftnik nails you to the wall for having a "fake smile" and no work ethic, someone needs to take the blame.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    His agent deserved to be fired. The agent should know where his client is realistically going to go. There is a reason why players in the green room are almost always picked is because they know they won't be humiliated. Bad job by the agent either in not getting a real sense of where his client might go OR not communicating what he already knew.
    Bingo.

100% spot on.

The agent doesn't control where his client will get drafted, but the agent DOES control where his client believes he could be drafted. An agent needs to protect the best interests of his client and Geno Smith's agents set him up for embarrassment with false expectations.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Oh no, you know what this says, selfish and will expect a contract worthy of a mid first round QB pick. we are in trouble and we are not 5 days out.
    You're kidding, right? Please get a grip. Rookie contracts are pretty much set in advance now. There's not much wiggle room for anybody coming in, especially a second round pick. Geno may have felt he as worth the #1 overall pick (and I LIKE a QB who feels that way) but it's really out of his and his future agent's hands. BTW we have NO IDEA why Geno fired his agent, just a bunch or rumors.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 2m
    How about this: Geno Smith thought he would be & should be the No. 1 overall pick, I'm told. That's why he fired his agents. #nyj
    If they didn't land Alex Smith, he very well could have been..

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post
    How do you spell Geno Smith? D-A-R-R-E-L-L-E- R-E-V-I-$.
    +1 from Mevis to Me-no.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What nonsense blaming the agent. Hell we have no idea how close he was to going to the Jets at 13 or even before that. The Bills liked Manuel better but they could have taken him.

Until an actual legit reason comes out people will merely guess. The big legit fear though is that he signs with the same bozos that Revis employees. That would be a very very bad thing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    All the "experts" before the draft said that Geno could fall anywhere between the top 10 or until early 2nd round. He was one of the hardest QBs to grade in years because how well he played in the 1st half of the season last year compared to how poorly he played in the 2nd half of the season.

Unless his agent told him he was definitely going #1, which I highly doubt since everyone in America knew KC was going to pick an OL since February. The Jets supposedly were very close to taking him at 13, but liked Richardson a little bit better. This shows a lot of immaturity on Geno's part, which was a knock on him going into the draft.