Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 2m
    How about this: Geno Smith thought he would be & should be the No. 1 overall pick, I'm told. That's why he fired his agents. #nyj

You are all getting your panties in a bunch over something that was said by the biggest liar hack of a reporter there is. I don't believe it for a minute.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    These.

I don't follow the pre-draft stuff as religiously as others, but I heard plenty of speculation that if Geno doesn't get drafted top 10 he may very well fall like a rock. Knowing the possibility of that happening, his agents should never have let him attend the draft in person. Just a horrible idea.

Similar to the adage in law of "never ask a question you don't know the answer to..." don't let your client look like a fuking loser on National TV is written on the forehead of every agent.

Unless it comes out that Geno defied his agent's advice and attended anyway against his wishes, this guy(s) committed malpractice by letting him attend.
    +1 Shoulda had him doing some charity work and use that as the reason why he couldn't be in NY.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta

That's all I needed to see before I decided to not pay any attention to this story. All he cares about is **** stirring and frustrating the fan base.

Seriously the worst beat reporter in my 45 years of Jets devotion.

Open request for the Daily News... please assign him elsewhere he is awful.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe for a second that Geno Smith, who seems like a smart guy, REALLY THOUGHT he was going to be a #1 overall pick after his team sh!t the bed down the stretch and his Heisman hopes went down the sh!tter. Did KC even NEED a QB with Alex Smith set to start? No.

Manish just makes stuff up, or just prints things that people say that on their face aren't true. Anyone can say anything about what Geno Smith thought without knowing the truth.

"GENO SMITH THINKS HE'S A REPTILE." I'm just putting that out there, because I've heard it's true. Now Manish is free to report it, because now it's been said. Tomorrow's Tweet by MM: "I'm hearing that Geno Smith thinks he's a reptile."

Of course this brings us back to MM writing about an unnamed source's speculation about RR's inner thoughts during the end of the 2012 season.

Hot garbage. Visit www.turnonthejets.com to free yourself from Manish, ESPN and the rest of the hacks.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 04-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Come on man, are you serious with this bull? As a Michigan fan I'll tell you that Henne, Threet, Denard, pretty much all of the UM QBs post-Carr have been less than puke. Brady? Per his wikipedia page:

Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson,[14] ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr. During his first full year as starter, he set Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season (214).[17] Brady was All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons and team captain his senior year. The Wolverines won 20 of 25 games when he started and shared the Big Ten Conference title in 1998. Brady capped that season with a win over Arkansas in the Citrus Bowl.[18] In the 1999 season, Brady led Michigan to an overtime win in the Orange Bowl over Alabama, throwing for 369 yards and four touchdowns.[14]

Yeah... less than puke. Gimme a break.
    Compared to Smith's stats they are less than puke.

He was drafted in what, the 7th?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Good news and bad news here.

Good news is Geno thinks he is a very good QB and will have a chip on his shoulder to prove how good he is.

Bad news is we will have to pay him a lot of money for being a very good QB.

I can live with this if he turns out to be that good.
    Well, the good thing to come out of the Revis trade is that Idzik made it pretty clear he won't be held hostage or over pay. With Sanchez gone and Garrard using a walker by 2014 you can bet we draft another QB. That should temper any ridiculous aspirations before the rookie restrictions cut out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Which is frikkin' ridiculous. I really don't like this.
    I hope he is not a fragile minded QB. in NY he will evaporate if he is!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Wow- that's kind of a d!ck move. His agent probably fronted 10s of thousands of dollars in pre-draft camps, trainers, travel etc. let alone the hours spent working for Geno.

I'm sure he'll get reimbursed for those expenses and the work....but no where near the 3% he was about to earn off the rookie contract.
    Is it only 3%? I always assumed 10.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith Fires Agent Due To Draft Slide

By Seth Carson
    April 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Geno SmithGeno Smith just showed the fans and his critics that he deserved to fall to the 2nd round before being selected, due to personal issues that dropped his stock.

Word was going around the war rooms that Geno Smith had a selfish attitude and poor ways of handling disappointments.

A franchise quarterback doesn't blame others for his mistake or failures.

A franchise quarterback is accountable and holds themselves responsible if they don't reach expectations, which in turn tends to limit team turmoil, which the Jets have already had their fill.

The agent wasn't at fault for Geno Smith falling into the second round, they weren't the ones playing the games each weekend, doing the interviews and workouts in front of NFL scouts in order to be properly placed on the draft boards.

Smith comes from an Air Raid offense which is known not to produce QBs that last long in the NFL. That was already working against Smith, but he did well at the combines and pro day, but it was his attitude that made his stock drop, and after firing his agent for not being the top overall pick, it shows signs of immaturity which is a turnoff for any teams intending on drafting him.

How Geno Smith expected to be taken first overall in the draft, after the Chiefs had already acquired Alex Smith, further showcases menta issuesl and personality problems. His attitude thus far mimics that of another QB that had some of the same issues, Ryan Leaf.

This is an unfortunate blow to the Jets organization and it's fans. Here they drafted Smith and released Tebow marking the end of the failed Sanchez and Tebow experiment. Now they aren't even a week removed from the draft and Geno Smith decides to publicly prove his critics were correct.

Which is exactly why he wasn't drafted in the first round. Now, thanks to him outwardly showcasing those immature issues, the Jets and their fans may have to endure one more year of who is the starting QB.

Earlier in the offseason, I predicted Geno Smith was going to be the biggest bust in the draft, and after firing and placing the blame on his agent for not being the first overall pick when the Chiefs had Alex Smith locked as the starter, he just gave an early indication that he indeed has bust written all over him.

Sorry Jets fans. You deserved better than this from your next "franchise QB." Best of luck next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa: This is interesting:

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy
    I had heard rumors Geno's agents conducting themselves poorly at the combine and other places. They weren't working in Geno's best interests
    Interesting site. From a review of QBs on 4/11, they gave Geno Smith an early 3rd round grade, based on video along (For example, they have Brey as 1st round talent, but acknowledge they wouldn't draft him there).

It's just another site, but interesting view on him.

http://nflphilosophy.com/2013-nfl-dr...-quarterbacks/

4. Geno Smith – West Virginia – Early-Mid 3rd Round grade

This is another ranking that seems out of place with the general groupthink assessment of these quarterbacks. I had Geno Smith as my top quarterback in this class until I had a change of philosophy that shifted towards a greater emphasis on anticipation and it’s relation to arm strength. Geno struggles with anticipation but that also made me realize that I didn’t give him enough credit for his arm strength.

Geno is superbly accurate with the football. Even when his ball placement didn’t seem on point, I actually noticed that it was typically in the best place for the receiver to catch the ball without getting drilled by a defender. To me, it looks like when the ball placement is off for Geno on short to intermediate routes, it’s because he’s adjusted it to fit the window or putting it away from the defender. I don’t see inconsistency in accuracy like I’ve seen others note. He throws a solid deep ball and gets some good revolutions on the ball to help it come out clean. Geno is also an incredible athlete but tends to shy away from using his legs as much as he should. He’s not shy in the pocket but sometimes I think he hangs on to the rock for a little too long before deciding to run or throw it away. He has solid pocket presence that allows him to move around freely and keep his head up.

My major concerns with Geno Smith are his ability to come off his first read and his ability to get through progressions with the necessary quickness. NFL Films guru Greg Cosell put it in a way that I liked a lot: “He has slow eyes.” Meaning that Geno stuck to his first read a little longer than he should before coming off to his 2nd read. That continues through each read. He’s just a little slow to get through each step in the progression.

Geno also lacks the anticipation that I want from a top level quarterback. He has enough arm strength to get the ball in windows even without anticipation. Geno gets lazy with his mechanics at times in the pocket. He can throw from many different platforms and still remain accurate which will help him in a more confined pocket in the NFL. He’s another guy that needs to learn to throw the sideline routes. I’d also like to see Geno trust his arm a little more. He has to see a receiver open before he pulls the trigger and that costs him. I would even like to see him throw a couple more 50/50 balls and let his receivers go up and get it (even though I know Austin/Bailey aren’t that type of WR). It’s something he’ll have to learn to do in the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please, agents are hired for one reason. He failed as his job, he deserved to be fired.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Geno Smith Fires Agent Due To Draft Slide

By Seth Carson
    Seth Carson - 'professional freelance sportswriter' - lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The agents should be fired for having him in the green room without a verbal assurance from a team that they'd take him in the 1st round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    His agent had him in the Green Room on Thursday night believing he'd be a 1st round pick. THAT may have been a dick move by the agent.
    My friend on Denver said this!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the comments section in this piece from Yahoo. We're getting slammed. LOL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...171942405.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Whoa: This is interesting:

Interesting site. From a review of QBs on 4/11, they gave Geno Smith an early 3rd round grade, based on video along (For example, they have Brey as 1st round talent, but acknowledge they wouldn't draft him there).

It's just another site, but interesting view on him.

http://nflphilosophy.com/2013-nfl-dr...-quarterbacks/
    That site had Tyler Bray as their number 1 QB which is comical as he wasn't even drafted.

That site also had Dysert as the number 3 QB and he went in the 7th round. So not sure I put much stock in their predictions.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Apparently he has an extremely high opinion of himself and convinced himself he should have been drafted first overall. And despite the practiced words he mouthed upon being drafted (it's a blessing, it doesn't matter where I was drafted) designed to sound good for the media, he really does have hurt feelings and has to lash out now.

UGH!
    Uh how bout maybe his agent fed him the BS, put him in the green room on National TV, without a TRUE CLUE as to where he would be drafted. IDK who you are, that was uncomfortable at best, embarrassing and potentially career limiting at worst. I would have fired my agent immediately after as well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out the comments section in this piece from Yahoo. We're getting slammed. LOL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...171942405.html
    ANd this is why journalists are journalists - they have absolutely no business sense. If I hired an agent to make sure I was a first rounder it is the AGENT's job to know the draft boards and positioning. Thats what I am paying him or her for. If that agent has ANY inkling their client is going to fall out of the first round, they KEEP HIM home, or in A NY hotel room. The kid had a ****ing camera in his face for three hours.

If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night after I was drafted. Jeebus, no story here........... move along

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    His ego and sensitive side are troubling to say the least. Hopefully he does not become the next Sanchez in terms of those things. We need this area to make him tough, not weak, or else he will not succeed here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    ANd this is why journalists are journalists - they have absolutely no business sense. If I hired an agent to make sure I was a first rounder it is the AGENT's job to know the draft boards and positioning. Thats what I am paying him or her for. If that agent has ANY inkling their client is going to fall out of the first round, they KEEP HIM home, or in A NY hotel room. The kid had a ****ing camera in his face for three hours.

If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night after I was drafted. Jeebus, no story here........... move along
    Totally agree. Shows that the kid has some nuts. I could give a crap if some agent is fired.