Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out the comments section in this piece from Yahoo. We're getting slammed. LOL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...171942405.html
    Not really. Looks to me like Geno is getting slammed.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out the comments section in this piece from Yahoo. We're getting slammed. LOL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...171942405.html
    Yeah, there are some of the most clueless people posting responses. I had to post something and basically said:

"I wasn't privy to the conversations between him and his agent as apparently a lot of you posters were. Perhaps his agent could've been telling him what he wanted to hear and not what he needed to hear?"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    His ego and sensitive side are troubling to say the least. Hopefully he does not become the next Sanchez in terms of those things. We need this area to make him tough, not weak, or else he will not succeed here.
    Sanchez has never spoken out publicly about the tons of criticism he has received. For example he has never felt the need to publicly call out his critics on Twitter, like Smith has. If Smith is that sensitive to every little bit of criticism it is going to be rough going for him in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    His ego and sensitive side are troubling to say the least. Hopefully he does not become the next Sanchez in terms of those things. We need this area to make him tough, not weak, or else he will not succeed here.
    one thing you can say about him, he thinks very highly of himself. when in the 4 yrs that sanchez was on the jets did we ever see the alpha male i'm the f***ing guy i'm the best player in the draft we're gonna make the playoffs attitude? sure he needs some polishing but he has the personality traits you want in a franchise qb, he wants it bad.

Didn't read the tone of the thread but read the article. Not sure how he came to the conclusion he would be the #1 pick. I've never heard anyone say that.

Hoping the guy isn't a head case for the Jets sake. Maybe the agent did something wrong. I hope it's not just an immature reaction to a reality check.

If he ends up playing well in the long run, this means absolutely nothing.

He will be paid accordingly.

As for ego, come on guys, every major league athlete has an ego.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    ANd this is why journalists are journalists - they have absolutely no business sense. If I hired an agent to make sure I was a first rounder it is the AGENT's job to know the draft boards and positioning. Thats what I am paying him or her for. If that agent has ANY inkling their client is going to fall out of the first round, they KEEP HIM home, or in A NY hotel room. The kid had a ****ing camera in his face for three hours.

If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night after I was drafted. Jeebus, no story here........... move along
    I hope you don't mind, your response was so good, I quoted it in the comments section of yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Didn't read the tone of the thread but read the article. Not sure how he came to the conclusion he would be the #1 pick. I've never heard anyone say that.

Hoping the guy isn't a head case for the Jets sake. Maybe the agent did something wrong. I hope it's not just an immature reaction to a reality check.
    Pre combine, before the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith, there was talk that Geno would be the overall number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sanchez has never spoken out publicly about the tons of criticism he has received. For example he has never felt the need to publicly call out his critics on Twitter, like Smith has. If Smith is that sensitive to every little bit of criticism it is going to be rough going for him in NY.
    I don't know, man. While I agree with you in principle, saying someone isn't handling a situation the way Sanchez would is not exactly a knock...

I think the key thing to remember is that the Jets only used a 2nd round pick on him. If they had used one of their 1st's this would seem almost disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    one thing you can say about him, he thinks very highly of himself. when in the 4 yrs that sanchez was on the jets did we ever see the alpha male i'm the f***ing guy i'm the best player in the draft we're gonna make the playoffs attitude? sure he needs some polishing but he has the personality traits you want in a franchise qb, he wants it bad.
    +1,000,000

You can teach a guy to cool out. You can't teach a guy to be a leader of men.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    ANd this is why journalists are journalists - they have absolutely no business sense. If I hired an agent to make sure I was a first rounder it is the AGENT's job to know the draft boards and positioning. Thats what I am paying him or her for. If that agent has ANY inkling their client is going to fall out of the first round, they KEEP HIM home, or in A NY hotel room. The kid had a ****ing camera in his face for three hours.

If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night after I was drafted. Jeebus, no story here........... move along
    Sounds like he ignored his agent's advice, and then fired him for being right.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If he ends up playing well in the long run, this means absolutely nothing.

He will be paid accordingly.

As for ego, come on guys, every major league athlete has an ego.

Okay, purposely avoided the mock draft stuff so didn't hear that. The stuff I did hear didn't have him at #1 but I was trying to avoid it. Hope this is it for the drama. Here's for wishing an uneventful off season until training camp.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I don't know, man. While I agree with you in principle, saying someone isn't handling a situation the way Sanchez would is not exactly a knock...
    That's not what I said. I was responding to the poster's 'concern' that Sanchez was too sensitive. He has never demonstrated any reaction to the tons of criticism he has received or any indication of sensitivity. Smith OTOH, already has.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1,000,000

You can teach a guy to cool out. You can't teach a guy to be a leader of men.
    Being arrogant and Having an overinflated ego doesn't make you a leader of men. Just ask the critics of Rex Ryan.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Having an overinflated ego doesn't make you a leader of men. Just ask the critics of Rex Ryan.
    as a qb, if you don't believe in yourself you're toast. do we need to bring in the exhibits here?

as a qb, if you don't believe in yourself you're toast. do we need to bring in the exhibits here?
    It's the Joe Montana noticing John Candy at the Super Bowl type of thing.

It's the Joe Montana noticing John Candy at the Super Bowl type of thing.
    does this support or contradict my point here?!?

does this support or contradict my point here?!?
    Supports.

Supports.
    then thanks.