Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 222

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

  1. #161
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Not the best of friends, but I know enough.
    Your sig has GOT to be the most distracting one I've ever seen in my 8+ years on this board.

    I AIN'T COMPLAININ'!

  2. #162
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Have Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, Alex Okafor, and Keenan Allen fired their agents yet?
    The media wouldn't tell us if they had. The Jets get the attention I'm sorry to say.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The media wouldn't tell us if they had. The Jets get the attention I'm sorry to say.
    I'd disagree..Someone tapped into NFL moves would have at least tweeted it out..

    And when the "reported" #1 QB in the draft goes undrafted after round 1, says he is going home, decides (?, cough) to return for rounds 2&3 and then fires his agent 3 days later, reportedly because he thought he should have gone #1 overall, you don't think that isn't going to be reported? Please.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Sounds like they said something like:

    “Geno, the draft is a crapshoot, you never know where you will go, however, we’ve been on the phone with the Chiefs and they are taking you at #1”.

    and this last part is just Manish being the scumbag, **** stirring, no talent he is:

    Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.
    Sounds like they were just telling him what the press was saying as opposed to working with him strategically to shape the narrative.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Have Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, Alex Okafor, and Keenan Allen fired their agents yet?
    were they all in the Green Room?

    were they promised first round status by their agents?

    did their agents run off to tend to other business on Day 2 of the draft?

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Juels Santana View Post
    Lol Timmy® arent you a troll Patriot fan? I havent been here long but thats what I assumed from your "very insightful" posts
    he's from Vermont, of course he loves the Pats*.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I would love to know who decided that Geno should skip the Senior Bowl. EJ Manuel had a god showing and a good week of practice. Mayock and all the other scouts all said Geno needed to be there. I wonder if it was Geno thinking he was better than he was and thought the Senior Bowl was beneath him, or if his agents recommended to skip it?
    Yeah. That's just weird. Maybe Geno decided it was beneath him. But I find it hard to believe that if the agents told him it was in their best interests to throw, that he would not have gone.

  8. #168

    Cimini: Upset Geno Smith fires agents

    Four days after a humbling fall out of the first round, New York Jets draft pick Geno Smith responded by firing his agents.

    The former West Virginia quarterback, who tumbled into the second round (39th overall), confirmed Tuesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio that he parted ways with Select Sports Group. He claimed it wasn't because of his big drop in the draft.

    "I don't want to shed too much light on it," he said. "The thing that I can tell you is that it's not because of the whole draft experience. It's not because of one particular incident. There are a number of things, and that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now, I don't feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it."

    By rule, Smith has to wait five days before he can sign with another agent.
    Sports Business Journal first reported his decision.

    "We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," Select Sports Group said in a statement. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

    "Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first or second round pick was arguably the most talked-about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

    Smith was projected as a possible top-10 pick, although there was a growing belief in the days before the draft that he could slip.

    The agonizing wait in the green room at Radio City Music Hall was "hard to stomach," he said. After Day 1, he announced his plans to leave New York for home, but he changed his mind and returned to the green room.

    As it turned out, Smith wasn't the first quarterback taken. EJ Manuel went to the Buffalo Bills with the 16th pick. The Jets passed twice on Smith in the first round before pulling the trigger.

    Because of the rookie wage scale, there isn't much room for negotiation. Smith will receive a deal similar to that of last year's 39th pick, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins -- a four-year deal for $4.99 million.
    Smith's former agents, Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt, didn't return calls for comment.

    The firing of his agents, coupled with his threat to leave the draft after the first day, has raised questions about his maturity.

    "One of his perceived weaknesses was working through adversity," a personnel executive said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...s-fires-agents

  9. #169
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,409
    I mentioned this in the other Geno agent thread but, if you want to know who is really at fault, Geno or his agents, ask yourself who decided for Geno to skip the Senior Bowl? IF the agents told him to skip it, then they may have been disingenuous about his true draft stock, IF it was Geno's decision then it shows he thought more highly of himself than the rest of the scouting community. EJ Manuel attended the SR. Bowl and had a good week of practice and a good Game that week.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Four days after a humbling fall out of the first round, New York Jets draft pick Geno Smith responded by firing his agents.

    The former West Virginia quarterback, who tumbled into the second round (39th overall), confirmed Tuesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio that he parted ways with Select Sports Group. He claimed it wasn't because of his big drop in the draft.

    "I don't want to shed too much light on it," he said. "The thing that I can tell you is that it's not because of the whole draft experience. It's not because of one particular incident. There are a number of things, and that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now, I don't feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it."

    By rule, Smith has to wait five days before he can sign with another agent.
    Sports Business Journal first reported his decision.

    "We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," Select Sports Group said in a statement. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

    "Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first or second round pick was arguably the most talked-about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

    Smith was projected as a possible top-10 pick, although there was a growing belief in the days before the draft that he could slip.

    The agonizing wait in the green room at Radio City Music Hall was "hard to stomach," he said. After Day 1, he announced his plans to leave New York for home, but he changed his mind and returned to the green room.

    As it turned out, Smith wasn't the first quarterback taken. EJ Manuel went to the Buffalo Bills with the 16th pick. The Jets passed twice on Smith in the first round before pulling the trigger.

    Because of the rookie wage scale, there isn't much room for negotiation. Smith will receive a deal similar to that of last year's 39th pick, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins -- a four-year deal for $4.99 million.
    Smith's former agents, Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt, didn't return calls for comment.

    The firing of his agents, coupled with his threat to leave the draft after the first day, has raised questions about his maturity.

    "One of his perceived weaknesses was working through adversity," a personnel executive said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...s-fires-agents
    needs some polish here and an offensive staff who can calm him down. love the fire though.

  11. #171
    They wish him the best but they clearly spread the rumor that Geno fired them because he wasn't the first overall pick.

  12. #172
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Geno Smith's former agents: "We wish Geno the best." Translation: "Let someone else deal with him."

    And from Tony Pauline:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_TFY View Post
    did not get into this on the show; bad interviews, teams staying away from him, already fired his agent...reportedly fired his agent, who are good people.....
    http://www.draftinsider.net/

  13. #173
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,409
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
    Geno Smith's former agents: "We wish Geno the best." Translation: "Let someone else deal with him."

    And from Tony Pauline:



    http://www.draftinsider.net/
    Interesting, add to that that some of the scouts in their reports said Geno had a sense of entitlement and arrogance about his draft stock.

  14. #174
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,894
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    You two are pretty tight are ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Tighter than your butthole.*

    OHHH!








    *check your PMs

    Fixed.

  15. #175
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Juels Santana View Post
    Lol Timmy® arent you a troll Patriot fan? I havent been here long but thats what I assumed from your "very insightful" posts
    no, i'm serious. he gets drafted where he should have been so he fires his agent.

    sounds dumb and over-emotional

    Vince Young II

  16. #176
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    no, i'm serious. he gets drafted where he should have been so he fires his agent.

    sounds dumb and over-emotional

    Vince Young II
    This sounds like choice A.

    I hate it but Geno is absolutely a 2nd round talent.

    Someone need convince him that Rogers, Manning etc..are CLEAR 1st round.

    Geno..you aint manning.

    Work hard and try to become Brees or McNabb.

  17. #177
    I think we may have signs of a prima donna with an attitude problem.
    "I am the greatest of all time". Not a good sign.

  18. #178
    Yes, let's all take the words of Manish and Geno's former agents at face value.

    It's been reported by other sources that the agents guaranteed Geno a first round selection, hence his presence in the Green Room. To the point that the agent had made other plans for Friday and went to see other clients, he wasn't in NYC with Geno when he got drafted in the 2nd round.


    the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by Juels Santana View Post
    Lol Timmy® arent you a troll Patriot fan? I havent been here long but thats what I assumed from your "very insightful" posts
    Someone had to say it.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Yes, let's all take the words of Manish and Geno's former agents at face value.

    It's been reported by other sources that the agents guaranteed Geno a first round selection, hence his presence in the Green Room. To the point that the agent had made other plans for Friday and went to see other clients, he wasn't in NYC with Geno when he got drafted in the 2nd round.


    the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.


    If he believed in guarantees, then the Jets drafted a dummy.
    He wanted to be #1 overall? Then we have someone with delusions of grandeur.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us