Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    as a qb, if you don't believe in yourself you're toast. do we need to bring in the exhibits here?
    My idea of a leader is not someone who whines on Twitter at the first hint of criticism.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Being arrogant and Having an overinflated ego doesn't make you a leader of men. Just ask the critics of Rex Ryan.
    And what would they know?
    What makes them an expert on ANYTHING?!

Answer- NOTHING! Pure speculation.

They don't work anywhere NEAR the NFL for a REASON!
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 04-30-2013 at 04:36 PM.

My idea of a leader is not someone who whines on Twitter at the first hint of criticism.
    agreed. just that he believes he's much better than that. needs some polishing. but i'd rather have this than what we had. give me that guy who believes in himself to the core.

All Pro
    Sanchez has never spoken out publicly about the tons of criticism he has received. For example he has never felt the need to publicly call out his critics on Twitter, like Smith has. If Smith is that sensitive to every little bit of criticism it is going to be rough going for him in NY.
    How'd that work out for him? Smith sounds a lot like Revis. While I don't agree it's a good idea, I do like the fire. He probably should learn to keep it to a minimum. Could go either way.

All Pro
    Shoulda went to the Senior Bowl-

Who cares if he fired his agent tho- talk about a lot of hoopla for nothing

After four years of Sanchez and his miserable performances and "I need to play better" responses in post-games, I can't believe ANYBODY is criticizing Smith.

He's a second round draft pick incensed at a perceived slight. He's confident, borderline arrogant, and feels he was picked lower than he should have been.

If he gets prickly when criticized then good. It's a massive breath of fresh air after 4 years of No Worries Brah Sanchez.

Sanchez was NEVER cut out for this market. He was never cut out to lead this team. He was only ever not going to lose this team games. In four years he had one performance (against the Pats in the playoffs) where I ever thought he'd be more than what he was.

Objectively: Never had a 60% completion rate. This is bare minimum land. There's backups (Kyle Orton, hell, Garrard) who would've done more with this team over the same period of time Sanchez was here.

Subjectively: West Coast kid starts for a year in high school, a year in college, leaves college a year early after playing teams that compared about as favorably as the current Jets roster compares to the Niners roster last year and was doomed from day 1.

I hate Pete Carroll. I find him annoying and pretentious, but there's no denying that the guy was 100000% right about Sanchez. Sanchez was not ready to be "the man." And when you are the starting QB of a team in the largest media market on Earth you either have it or you don't.

And he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Shoulda went to the Senior Bowl-

Who cares if he fired his agent tho- talk about a lot of hoopla for nothing
    I agree...people spend too much time on the internet lol! much more important things to worry about then who fires their agent and why?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night"

Hhhmmmm, need to see pic before I decide if she should have been fired

Just wait till Francesa gets hold of this...
    "Dis is how you show your loyalty to your agent... Bada Bing?"

All Pro
    Yup, that combined with the agent firing makes it worse. Like others have said, just makes it seem like he'll fold when things go bad, or just blame anyone but himself.

Can't have a glazed Sanchez reaction to disappointment but tantrums aren't much better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    "If an agent can't get that right why in the HELL would you trust that agent with contract negotiations, PR, etc. I would have fired her Friday night"

Hhhmmmm, need to see pic before I decide if she should have been fired
    Her?

the rookie quarterback is parting ways with his agents, Jeff Nalley of the Houston-based Select Sports Group.

He'll take the Robinson Cano & Skylar Diggins route.

ROC NATION SPORTS.

Why are we assuming this to be the case at all?? Since when did everyone start believing that lying scum Mehta again? Come on people pull it together.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets904 View Post
    God this thread is awful. I've loved this team since I was 9 years old, but man do we have some chickensh*t "fans". How do we know what went on between Geno and his reps? We don't. I don't believe Mehta for a second, this is just too perfect for the dramatic angle he's always pulling.

Geno just got boned out of his first chance to get super-paid. Probably due to his agents not coaching him up properly going into interviews (Nawrocki) or not hyping him up right before the draft. He was indisputably the best QB in this class. He wasn't the first taken. Heads will roll.

THIS

It is like folks are looking for any bull**** reason to dump on the kid. This is America and the NFL is a BUSINESS last time I checked and he can hire or fire who ever the hell he wants to represent him. I could care less who reps him; he is slotted in certain salary regardless so why are so many people up in arms???

Teams cut players all the time, so a player fires an agent and everyone gets their panties in a bunch... pathetic.

Couple of things, giving the kid the benefit of the doubt:

1) He might generally be disappointed with the advice he was given and how he was protected in the process -> its possible he was advised not to go to the Senior Bowl, for example. Likewise, I kept wondering why they left him in front of the cameras so long on the first night when they could have retired him from view as others have in previous years. Why the heck did they let him tweet at all in the run up? (He may have been advised otherwise or not at all for all we know)

2) He might believe that another set of agents will position him better with potential endorsement clients, particularly given #1.

3) He's probably shocked at how his image has been dragged through the mud in recent days/weeks and might believe a change of staff can be helpful (assuming his agent will also bring on a new mgr to handle his press).

Point is that we dont know - assuming he did this because he is a jerk is ironic, because he may just be frustrated that his prior representation let his image get this stained.

An agents job is to protect a client and inflate their value. His agent seemed to have done neither. Smart move on his part looking elsewhere. We would all do the same thing if we thought an employee failed us during one of the biggest moments of our professional career.

I remember McGahee getting injured his last game before the draft and Drew talked the bills into taking a chance or at it least it seemed so.

Those agents are there to work not just collect a percentage. Generally the consensus #1 QB does not drop to the 9th pick of the second round. His agent ****ed up. Whether they told him the wrong things or did not do the right things they dropped the ball.

Just hope he doesn't hire those revis c*** S*****s.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 04-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.

He's gonna sign with Roc Nation Sports. It's a given.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    An agents job is to protect a client and inflate their value. His agent seemed to have done neither. Smart move on his part looking elsewhere. We would all do the same thing if we thought an employee failed us during one of the biggest moments of our professional career.

I remember McGahee getting injured his last game before the draft and Drew talked the bills into taking a chance or at it least it seemed so.

Those agents are there to work not just collect a percentage. Generally the consensus #1 QB does not drop to the 9th pick of the second round. His agent ****ed up. Whether they told him the wrong things or did not do the right things they dropped the ball.

Just hope he doesn't hire those revis c*** S*****s.
    He fell to the 2nd because he is a 2nd. THAT is as simple as it gets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Oh no, you know what this says, selfish and will expect a contract worthy of a mid first round QB pick. we are in trouble and we are not 5 days out.
    Not trouble in that regard. Rookie salaries are more or less already set by where they were drafted and since the new CBA I don't recall hearing about many, if any, rookies holding out or attempting to challenge this.

Throwing a fit and firing his agent is pretty much the most power he has. He's just going to have to suck it up and spend the next 3-4 years getting paid like a second rounder.

well, if he's as good at his position as Revis is a CB, then I have no problem paying him top dollar.