Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith Fired his Agent Today (MERGED)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Being arrogant and Having an overinflated ego doesn't make you a leader of men. Just ask the critics of Rex Ryan.
    Seems to work for the coach in NE who's name I shall not say.

I could name more then a few athletes, coaches, and people in general who have been served more then well for such traits.

Truth is everything is speculation at this point. I've seen interviews with him that scream the total opposite of what seeming haters are saying. As for what he may or may not say on twitter I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He fell to the 2nd because he is a 2nd. THAT is as simple as it gets.
    You may be right. He may be a second round prospect, however teams reach for QB all the time. The guy for his flaws was generally the highest rated QB in the draft. The agent's job is to make sure he goes in the first. Otherwise what is an agent for, especially with the new draft contracts. Half the agent's job is already done. So the agent's job is to get the player drafted as high as possible.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 04-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    well, if he's as good at his position as Revis is a CB, then I have no problem paying him top dollar.
    Yeah, until the guy wants 200 mill on a 6 year deal.

Because of the wage scale - there really aren't contract negotiations to handle (unless you get completely stiffed like the Honey Badger).

The agent's responsibility between being retained and the draft comes down to:

1. Preparing your client for the combine by providing him with a training facility and instruction

2. Prepping him for pre-draft team interviews

3. Hyping your client up using the sports media and GMs

Clearly Geno didn't feel like he got his 3% worth from the guys representing him. Not sure I can disagree with him there.

I believe that he has to wait a certain # of days before he's legally allowed to obtain new representation (officially), and that his new agency has to reimburse his former one for certain costs accrued (workout facility, instruction, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    Yeah, until the guy wants 200 mill on a 6 year deal.
    He really doesn't strike me as that kind of A-Hole.

He'll demand a good, and FAIR contract. But lets not forget he doesn't have a predisposed family history of being money-hungry snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    He really doesn't strike me as that kind of A-Hole.

He'll demand a good, and FAIR contract.
    You two are pretty tight are ya?

I care about what he does on the field. He's certainly entitled to hire or fire anyone he pays. That's none of anyone elses business. I doubt Geno Smith gives a crap if a fan fires is lawyer! Non Story.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

What a circus.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not the best of friends, but I know enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    You may be right. He may be a second round prospect, however teams reach for QB all the time. The guy for his flaws was generally the highest rated QB in the draft. The agent's job is to make sure he goes in the first. Otherwise what is an agent for, especially with the new draft contracts. Half the agent's job is already done. So the agent's job is to get the player drafted as high as possible.
    Any GM who gets talked into a reach by an agent is a fool but I hear ya....

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Tighter than your butthole.

OHHH!

To start off a career like that is not a good look, and with all the talk that he was going to pack it up and leave after day 1 of the draft isn't good either. I hope we didn't just draft a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Disagree. I don't think it's a douchy move. If you had a lawyer who told you to turn down a $1M settlement and let a trial go to jury, and you end up with a $250K award wouldn't you be disappointed? You would have gotten bad advice and you should absolutely find different representation for your next big decision.

Geno got bad advice from supposed "experts." He can and should find better reps as he heads into the next critical phase of his football career, contract negotiations.
    That argument works if he came out early. But he didn't so no matter what the agents told him they have no control over what played out. The only person he should blame is himself because there were enough questions about him to push him to the second round

Have Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, Alex Okafor, and Keenan Allen fired their agents yet?

GENO SMITH’S FORMER AGENTS WISH HIM THE BEST

Agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group have broken their silence in response to quarterback Geno Smith’s decision to fire them, only days after Smith became the 39th pick in the draft.

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” the firm said in a statement released to PFT. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

The statement comes in response to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Smith believed he “would be and should be” not a first-round pick but the No. 1 overall selection. In an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Smith opted not to delve into the details.

“I don’t want to shed too much light on it,” Smith said, via a partial transcript provided by SiriusXM NFL Radio. “The thing that I can tell you is that it’s not because of the whole draft experience. It’s not because of one particular incident. There’s a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now I don’t feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.”

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.” And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.

Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT

Hall Of Fame
    I would love to know who decided that Geno should skip the Senior Bowl. EJ Manuel had a god showing and a good week of practice. Mayock and all the other scouts all said Geno needed to be there. I wonder if it was Geno thinking he was better than he was and thought the Senior Bowl was beneath him, or if his agents recommended to skip it?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ts83 View Post
    Agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group have broken their silence in response to quarterback Geno Smith’s decision to fire them, only days after Smith became the 39th pick in the draft.

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” the firm said in a statement released to PFT. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

The statement comes in response to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Smith believed he “would be and should be” not a first-round pick but the No. 1 overall selection. In an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Smith opted not to delve into the details.

“I don’t want to shed too much light on it,” Smith said, via a partial transcript provided by SiriusXM NFL Radio. “The thing that I can tell you is that it’s not because of the whole draft experience. It’s not because of one particular incident. There’s a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now I don’t feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.”

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.” And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.

Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
    already, this tells us that our new field leader is dumb.

Sounds like they said something like:

“Geno, the draft is a crapshoot, you never know where you will go, however, we’ve been on the phone with the Chiefs and they are taking you at #1”.

and this last part is just Manish being the scumbag, **** stirring, no talent he is:

Lol Timmy® arent you a troll Patriot fan? I havent been here long but thats what I assumed from your "very insightful" posts

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    What a circus.

SAR I