Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Trade Up, No TE

All Pro

No Trade Up, No TE

One thing that I notice keeps popping up by some who are disenchanted with the Jets draft is the notion that we should have gotten a TE. But the truth is that the run on TE's in the draft was unusually fast and simply did not allow the Jets the luxury of such a pick without a costly trade-up... not to mention that virtually every TE was over-valued with the exception of Eifert.

The Eagles grabbed Ertz at Pick 35 (3rd in the 2nd round) That was 4 picks ahead of the Jets' 39th, where they took Geno Smith. The next pick the Jets had was the 72nd pick (3 round). By then, Escobar was long gone, because the Cowboys had badly over-reached from him at the 47th pick (2/15). The 49er quickly followed that by taking McDonald with the 55th overall pick (2/23). Kelce went to the Chiefs with the 63rd pick (3/1). So the only way the Jets get a reasonably highly ranked TE is by trading up and conceding later picks. The only decent alternative that the Jets passed up was in the third when they took Winters while Keenan Allen was still on the board. I can only surmise that they had Winters valued higher at a position of need, but I would rather have seen Allen a Jet personally. Beyond that, the Jets played the hand they were given quite well...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    One thing that I notice keeps popping up by some who are disenchanted with the Jets draft is the notion that we should have gotten a TE. But the truth is that the run on TE's in the draft was unusually fast and simply did not allow the Jets the luxury of such a pick without a costly trade-up... not to mention that virtually every TE was over-valued with the exception of Eifert.

The Eagles grabbed Ertz at Pick 35 (3rd in the 2nd round) That was 4 picks ahead of the Jets' 39th, where they took Geno Smith. The next pick the Jets had was the 72nd pick (3 round). By then, Escobar was long gone, because the Cowboys had badly over-reached from him at the 47th pick (2/15). The 49er quickly followed that by taking McDonald with the 55th overall pick (2/23). Kelce went to the Chiefs with the 63rd pick (3/1). So the only way the Jets get a reasonably highly ranked TE is by trading up and conceding later picks. The only decent alternative that the Jets passed up was in the third when they took Winters while Keenan Allen was still on the board. I can only surmise that they had Winters valued higher at a position of need, but I would rather have seen Allen a Jet personally. Beyond that, the Jets played the hand they were given quite well...
    What this doesn't take into account is they might have traded down the 13th pick and parlayed that into a pick ahead of 35 and used it on Eifert or Ertz

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What this doesn't take into account is they might have traded down the 13th pick and parlayed that into a pick ahead of 35 and used it on Eifert or Ertz
    Except there is no indication that they had such an offer. The Jets were stuck at 13. The Rams had already moved. The 49ers didn't need to get that high. Who was the trading partner?

Would've been nice to get Dion Sims or Levine Toilolo

I really wanted them to trade down (and instead of just Richardson we coudl have had Ertz + Cypriene type package), but if they really liked Richardson then I am Ok with standing pat. You don't want to get caught in the Patriots never ending circle of trading down and never getting elite talent in the top half of the draft. It's rare that a team can land 2 of the best 5 or 6 defensive players in the same draft and the Jets managed to pull it off.

All Pro

OK, i got a problem with this. the fck do you mean - badly over reached? Says who - you?!

He was the 3rd, if not the 2nd best TE in this draft class. He ALWAYS going to go in the 2nd. I said it 2 months ago.... when idiots on here were all "...Escobar in the 2nd, wtf" ...you guys don't have a clue how to grade TEs and what the teams ACTUALLY thought of them.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Would've been nice to get Dion Sims or Levine Toilolo
    Sims was at Rd 4, Pick 9. That's were the Jets traded for Ivory. Who is more valuable? I would argue Ivory.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    OK, i got a problem with this. the fck do you mean - badly over reached? Says who - you?!

He was the 3rd, if not the 2nd best TE in this draft class. He ALWAYS going to go in the 2nd. I said it 2 months ago.... when idiots on here were all "...Escobar in the 2nd, wtf" ...you guys don't have a clue how to grade TEs and what the teams ACTUALLY thought of them.
    Who had him going this high? I know you loved him and I get your opinion, but he was a 3rd Round pick on most draft experts' boards. That was also the commentary when the Cowboys picked him. Given the Cowboys' track record in this draft, it's the one team we know did some crazy reaching.

P.S. My middle name is Kiper. I may be an idiot without a clue, but I have a cool hair-do.

Rookie
    IMO, they tried to trade down...... evidenced by using ALL the time on the clock, before making the 13th pick. If the value in the trade down wasn't there, I glad they didn't settle, just to make a trade..... they picked their next highest rated player.

Jets Insider VIP
    You're assuming that the Jets could've found a trade partner.

By the time #13 rolled around, all of the top OL and passrushers were off the board.

Jets Insider VIP
    could it be that WRECKS et al feel that CUMBERLAND, Reuland and the Aussie can handle the job? Plus we have two UDFA in the mix. One of who was well regarded. Id not worry about this position. The first game is several months away and who knows who will become available in camp!

Veteran
    I'm liking the UDFA they got Mike Shanahan 6'5" 230 out of Pitt. Great route runner, great hands looks like from his profile he lacks the ideal burst for a WR but as a TE is a good development guy who should have the speed in the middle to take advantage of LB and the size to create mismatches against DBs.

Hopefully he makes some noise.

All Pro
    My main point is that the draft played out in a way that made getting a high quality TE very difficult for the Jets without sacrificing picks. They even sat on Geno at 39 without reaching up.

Re Escobar, Mayock had him 76th overall, Brandt 63rd overall, CBS 89th overall, out of Brooks' 50, with only Norris saying he would expect a 2nd round. I don't think Norris thought he would be top half of the 2nd, however. It's all moot of course as he could be the next coming of Tony Gonzalez. We'll see...

Why not draft Eifert? We needed a TE a lot more than another DT. Some would argue that Richardson was not even the 2nd rated DT. This TE is exactly what Mark Sanchez needs - a guy who can make tough catches. I saw a clip of him making a catch against our own Dee Milliner when Milliner had excellent coverage on him. We could use a guy like that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb160 View Post
    Why not draft Eifert? We needed a TE a lot more than another DT. Some would argue that Richardson was not even the 2nd rated DT. This TE is exactly what Mark Sanchez needs - a guy who can make tough catches. I saw a clip of him making a catch against our own Dee Milliner when Milliner had excellent coverage on him. We could use a guy like that.
    I'd have been fine with Eifert @ 13 ... not a reach in my books, he went 8 picks later. I'm sure he could have made a lot of plays for us.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb160 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, although I think Richardson was a higher value pick than Eifert and was so on their board. Eifert would have been a perfectly reasonable pick at #13. That's the one place where they really had a legitimate argument. Same with Warmack at #9, although Milliner makes a bunch of sense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    I'm liking the UDFA they got Mike Shanahan 6'5" 230 out of Pitt. Great route runner, great hands looks like from his profile he lacks the ideal burst for a WR but as a TE is a good development guy who should have the speed in the middle to take advantage of LB and the size to create mismatches against DBs.

Hopefully he makes some noise.
    Me too. Shanahan could be a good find for the Jets. I hope he does well. He seems to have a lot of the traits of a good catching tight end. At 230 pounds though he will need to put on at least 10 more pounds to be able to withstand the rigors and hits.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I'd have been fine with Eifert @ 13 ... not a reach in my books, he went 8 picks later. I'm sure he could have made a lot of plays for us.
    I would have vomited if we picked a TE @ 13. I know offenses are changing, but not to the point where you pick a "dependable, non-elite" TE that early.

Having said that, I fully expected them to pick one up later in the draft, and now find myself hoping they didn't pull an Adrien Clarke . . .

I'm not disagreeing with you, although I think Richardson was a higher value pick than Eifert and was so on their board. Eifert would have been a perfectly reasonable pick at #13. That's the one place where they really had a legitimate argument. Same with Warmack at #9, although Milliner makes a bunch of sense as well.
    Agreed, that's a tough one. Eiffert would've been an acceptable choice but Jets management had Richardson valued higher. I guess this type of discussion will not go away easily until the games on Sunday show us what Richardson can do. And by the same token if Eiffert performs well people will always say there's another one that got away...

@Cumberland86: #jetsnation I will be wearing #87 this season so go get my new jerseys and send me a pic with them! #jets