Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Draft Double Standard Bias Against Jets

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Draft Double Standard Bias Against Jets

    The so called experts killed the Jets for picking Dee Milliner to replace Revis. First of all the Jets did not plan this. The board just worked out that way. They were probably locked in on Austin or OLB. Just as an aside, the way the Tevon Austin pick turned out is the Eric Metclaf scenario all over again decades later. We ran our mouths back then about a speedy back that we were in love with and Cleveland jumped us and picked him one spot before us. We (FO) have got to learn to shut our mouths.

    Back to Milliner and the double standard. The experts say that we are setting this kid up for all kinds of pressure of "replacing Revis." Obviously, Milliner did not get picked with the Revis pick. I think the Jets took him because Rex loves corners and their board screamed Milliner at that point. It was not about Revis.

    Here is the double standard. Why didn't the experts say the same thing when the Colts picked Luck to Replace Manning. No one talked about the pressure that kid would face replacing Manning. It was known for months by everyone that the Colts were going to do this. Not one word against this like they railed against the Jets for doing this unplanned.

    For the longest, Milliner was the top rated CB by most draft experts. Some even rated him a top 3 talent. My point is the kid was not looked at as a slouch. However, once the Jets took him it was suddenly a horrible pick. Great for the Colts to do it, but terrible if the Jets do it.
    Last edited by kcb160; 04-30-2013 at 03:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Saugerties, NY
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the media knows they can get a story out of it and any negative press about this team will garner a response. I am not saying it is a conspiracy, but the last two seasons spoke for themselves and it makes sense for the media to ride the wave. Do I like it or agree with it? No, but the double standard is there to sell newspapers and give these clowns something easy to write about.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    34,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply titling an article, "Jets Drop Ball in Draft" or "Jets QB Carousel Adds Another Horse" is the same as yelling, "Look...Kate Upton's top fell off!"

    In other words, 100 heads turn and you get immediate attention.

    It's the media. They need readers, page views and link clicks.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winning will be the best revenge, then when the media pukes are all gushing over how good the Jets are and the great turn around and super rebuild that was done. Well then you get them to eat crow at ever turn, by bring up what dumb pukes they were. You basically get to tell them to GFT in a nice politically correct manner, can't wait.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Winning will be the best revenge, then when the media pukes are all gushing over how good the Jets are and the great turn around and super rebuild that was done. Well then you get them to eat crow at ever turn, by bring up what dumb pukes they were. You basically get to tell them to GFT in a nice politically correct manner, can't wait.
    The "experts" are wrong about a million things every year, and I've yet to see them eat any crow about anything, or tone down their rhetoric.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get what you're saying, but your Luck/Manning comparison is just way off base. WAAAAAY of base. Luck was a once in a decade QB prospect, the best by far since (ironically) Peyton Manning. Manning was also due for a contract, coming off 4 neck surgeries and they frankly weren't even sure he could ever play again. Even if Manning were healthy it still probably would have been the right play to take Luck. As it were, Luck was the right play all the way. There was no trade to be had. They just released Manning because they had no choice. They would have had to pay Manning a huge bonus if they didn't.

    At first look many will say we "traded Revis and drafted his replacement", therefore we lose because Milliner obviously has to be as good as Revis for the trade to make sense. I admit, at first glance even I questioned it. I still would have preferred Warmack or Cooper to be honest, and I do still feel Milliner is going to have to have seriously tough skin to ignore the costant comparisons and local reports highlighting how he isn't Revis. But....We're going to sign Milliner for a mere fraction of what Revis got paid, plus the 3rd rounder. So reality is if Milliner, the 3rd rounder, and the many players we add using those untold millions of freed up cash has equal or more impact on the team than Revis alone then this trade was great for us. Trick is how do you measure that? You really can't so the media will play it up to the uninformed mental midgets and continuously make it Milliner vs Revis alone.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The "experts" are wrong about a million things every year, and I've yet to see them eat any crow about anything, or tone down their rhetoric.
    No doubt, yet most of the pukes have gone so overboard on the whole circus crap, extracting themselves may be a little harder then in the past.
    Add in all the fan interaction with them thru the Internet an social media today and if the Jets turn it around this season, I expect them to get an ear full.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Initial reports say the guy will be a solid corner. Based on that, I think it was the right trade. No sense spending that much on a corner unless you think you're that close to having a contending team. If the Jets do make dramatic improvements, a solid corner (even though he's not Revis) should be more than enough and you have him on a rookie contract.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly. You can thank rex for this. As well as everyone who runs their mouth in th organization. They bring on themselves. I will give them all some credit though. It does appear that they all may have learned some valuable lessons of late. We have not hard too much bravado coming from jetland since idzik has got in town. If they want the media to back off. It needs to stay this way.

  10. #10
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Snell41;4881558]I get what you're saying, but your Luck/Manning comparison is just way off base. WAAAAAY of base. Luck was a once in a decade QB prospect, the best by far since (ironically) Peyton Manning.

    Well actually, and more ironically, to prove the original posters point. About half the "experts" thought Ryan Leaf was the once in a decade QB prospect and not Peyton Manning.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    629
    Post Thanks / Like
    At all boils down to this: Winning breeds respect.

    Belicheat can make as many idiotic moves as he wants, and the pundits and media will still kiss his ass because he wins. The... "He must be doing something right!" argument trumps the sensationalist sour grapes headline.

    The Giants are the same way. When Coughlin comes on Fatcessa, he gets treated with the utmost respect and reverence. No decisions are questioned, because he 'must know better than me... hes Tom Coughlin'. They are the Giants, they won a few superbowls lately... they ARE doing something right. If they bash them, they end up looking like fools.

    Noone but us will care about how foolish Mayock and the other pundits were in April, if the Jets make the playoffs this year. They will totally change thier tune about the Jets (other than Fatcessa of course), and we will begin to become the media darlings faster than you would imagine. We were the talk of the town, the darling rose of the media, after the four road playoff wins. Giants won the Superbowl, yet everyone was talking about the Jets. We had more prime time games than the Giants, we were headlines on every single Sportcenter broadcast, backpage of every newspaper. When the Jets are GOOD, we get good press (other than Fatcessa). Winning does that. Losing does the opposite.

    If we want this bad press bias to stop, we simply must win. The longer we remain a losing organization, the longer we will get piled on. Its really very simple.

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but your Luck/Manning comparison is just way off base. WAAAAAY of base. Luck was a once in a decade QB prospect, the best by far since (ironically) Peyton Manning. Manning was also due for a contract, coming off 4 neck surgeries and they frankly weren't even sure he could ever play again. Even if Manning were healthy it still probably would have been the right play to take Luck. As it were, Luck was the right play all the way. There was no trade to be had. They just released Manning because they had no choice. They would have had to pay Manning a huge bonus if they didn't.

    At first look many will say we "traded Revis and drafted his replacement", therefore we lose because Milliner obviously has to be as good as Revis for the trade to make sense. I admit, at first glance even I questioned it. I still would have preferred Warmack or Cooper to be honest, and I do still feel Milliner is going to have to have seriously tough skin to ignore the costant comparisons and local reports highlighting how he isn't Revis. But....We're going to sign Milliner for a mere fraction of what Revis got paid, plus the 3rd rounder. So reality is if Milliner, the 3rd rounder, and the many players we add using those untold millions of freed up cash has equal or more impact on the team than Revis alone then this trade was great for us. Trick is how do you measure that? You really can't so the media will play it up to the uninformed mental midgets and continuously make it Milliner vs Revis alone.
    I think the Luck/Manning comparison is dead on.

    I am not getting into the "trade" aspects or trade value or contracts. I am talking about the pressure of following a future hall of famer. You say Luck was a once in a generation prospect. Fine. He was follwing a sure first ballot hall of famer at that time. Can we say the same about Revis right now? If Revis' career ended right now would Revis be a no doubt first ballot hall of famer? I don't think so. Also, Manning is a Super Bowl champ. Revis at this point is not. While Revis is a beast he does not have Manning's resume - yet.

    Also, both rookies would be following star veterans coming off of serious injuries. I think Revis will be fine too, but we can't be sure. As far as Manning's injury turned out, he looks pretty healthy to me. Both rookies followed star vets with questionable injuries.

    Milliner does not have to be as good as Luck in this comparison because Revis is not Manning in this comparison. I think the comparison is a good one.

  13. #13
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mel Kiper gave us a B and said that the draft could end up being an A in the future. I was happy with his assessment and he actually made some sense when explaining it. He realized it was a rebuilding draft and said the Jets drafted a lot of talent and really set up their team for the future. If Milliner and Richardson play as well as we think they can, and Geno becomes a franchise QB, then the draft is an A, plain and simple.

    I don't really care about the Milliner and Revis comparisons. Considering Revis didn't play for most of last year, Milliner is actually going to be replacing the production given to us by Kyle Wilson in 2012. Milliner is a solid corner and I think we will all like him as Jet fans as time goes on. He will play well enough to make us forget about Revis and the comparisons. Oh, and he's not making $16mil/year so that's a HUGE plus.

  14. #14
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb160 View Post
    Just as an aside, the way the Tevon Austin pick turned out is the Eric Metclaf scenario all over again decades later. We ran our mouths back then about a speedy back that we were in love with and Cleveland jumped us and picked him one spot before us. We (FO) have got to learn to shut our mouths.
    Austin is the one who made the "the Jets said they have a plan for me" disclosure to the media, which is what led to the Rams trading up for him. If we end up turning it around starting with this draft and achieve success that Austin will never see with Schotty and the Rams, he may come to regret that.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb160 View Post
    The so called experts killed the Jets for picking Dee Milliner to replace Revis. First of all the Jets did not plan this. The board just worked out that way. They were probably locked in on Austin or OLB. Just as an aside, the way the Tevon Austin pick turned out is the Eric Metclaf scenario all over again decades later. We ran our mouths back then about a speedy back that we were in love with and Cleveland jumped us and picked him one spot before us. We (FO) have got to learn to shut our mouths.

    Back to Milliner and the double standard. The experts say that we are setting this kid up for all kinds of pressure of "replacing Revis." Obviously, Milliner did not get picked with the Revis pick. I think the Jets took him because Rex loves corners and their board screamed Milliner at that point. It was not about Revis.

    Here is the double standard. Why didn't the experts say the same thing when the Colts picked Luck to Replace Manning. No one talked about the pressure that kid would face replacing Manning. It was known for months by everyone that the Colts were going to do this. Not one word against this like they railed against the Jets for doing this unplanned.

    For the longest, Milliner was the top rated CB by most draft experts. Some even rated him a top 3 talent. My point is the kid was not looked at as a slouch. However, once the Jets took him it was suddenly a horrible pick. Great for the Colts to do it, but terrible if the Jets do it.
    Can someone please post anything by an expert that kills the Jets for picking Dee. Not one lone blogger who wanted someone else but an unbiased expert

    If you're going to have a complex at least base it on something.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner has nothing to do with Revis other than the fact the Jets were down 1 cb, he doesn't have to be close to Revis, just be better than Kyle wilson. We all know the press will link them and some dumb fans until the end of days though.

    The double standard part is 100% true. Any other of the QB needy teams would have been patted on the back for getting Geno Smith in the 2nd round. We are blasted by dummies that still think Sanchez has a future here.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sucks for Geno... The Jets take him and now every media outlet is trying to bash him and basically call him garbage.

    Absolutely a double standard. A lot of it has to do with people rooting against Rex. Personally I don't care. I think Rex is a very good coach. But it's clear that there is a double standard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us