Thread: Milliner Cut-Ups from SEC Champ and BCS Champ Games

Milliner Cut-Ups from SEC Champ and BCS Champ Games

I'll be honest on a few things:

1) I didn't watch much of Milliner because I really didn't think we were drafting a CB in the first round
    2) I wasn't thrilled when we picked him because I was peeved that Cooper/Austin got picked right before us.

That being said, I really liked what I saw in these two games. Here's some of the takeaways from those two games:

- My my, he is big. I know he's listed at 6' even and I was watching college competition, but he almost looks like a safety out there with his size.

- Guy is a demon working outside the numbers. He'll consistently get his hands on you, flip his hips, stay with the man, and pinch him to the sidelines. Following along with that...

- Unlike Wilson, HE TURNS HIS FRIGGIN' HEAD AROUND AND LOCATES THE BALL! I wouldn't call him a ballhawk, but he's ready when the ball comes and does a great job of making the PD without initiating contact.

- Watched him play man and zone. On top of being a great M2M player, he has good instincts in zone coverage, recognizing when to bail and react when the ball is thrown.

- Guy can lay the lumber! He will not shy away from contact. That will help in run support or drilling a TE if he makes the catch.

Overall, I was very impressed with the guy. He's big, athletic, tough, and smart. I'm not going to anoint him anything, but he will be a great starter for us for years. Typically CBs have a bit of a learning curve in year one, but he does some of the little yet highly important things that are crucial to NFL success, namely ball recognition in the "moment of truth."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23FNxtNGN38

All Pro
    Bama put him on Eifert a lot in the Championship game and despite being a lot smaller, he really did a great Job against propably the best TE prospect this year. He is mighty strong and athletic.

Hall Of Fame
    He plays really fast. Needs to get his head around. That is what separated Revis from everyone else, his ability to play the man and the ball at the same time.

Jets Insider VIP
    If Cro can play like he did last year then at worst Milliner will have to control the #2 WR or the slot. I think he will be ready especially if we get some pressure up front for a change. CB isn't going to be a weakness on this D. The questions are how the safety position comes together and if our LBs can cover a friggin TE for a change.

Milliner was one of the best players in college football last season. Great pick. The only concern I have is his health

Veteran
    Said it before the draft ill say it again. I wanted him from day 1. He has the ability to not only have his own island but his own continent

Jets Insider VIP
    cmon, guys..... he can't catch.... I saw the extremely revealing and conclusive clips of him at the all important combine in February...

nothing is more important than those combine drills, after all

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    cmon, guys..... he can't catch.... I saw the extremely revealing and conclusive clips of him at the all important combine in February...

nothing is more important than those combine drills, after all
    Maycock embarrassed himself with those clips. They were about as useful as a set of cut ups demonstrating that a drafted WR or QB doesn't seek out contact and wrap up well on a ball carrer after an interception.

Huge Irish fan. They tried to go at Milliner. He locked down that side of the field. Thej h locked down Eifert. A complete corner.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Said it before the draft ill say it again. I wanted him from day 1. He has the ability to not only have his own island but his own continent

when was day 1 anyway? was he even born then?

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    when was day 1 anyway? was he even born then?

Some interesting names among the first CBs taken in the past 10 years:

2013 Dee Milliner 9 Jets
    2012 Morris Claiborne 6 Dallas
    2011 Patrick Peterson 5 Cards
    2010 Joe Haden 7 Browns
    2009 Malcolm Jenkins 14 Saints
    2008 Leodis McKelvin 11 Bills
    2007 Darrelle Revis 14 Jets
    2005 PacMan Jones 6 Titans
    2004 DeAngelo Hall 8 Falcons
    2003 Terrence Newman 5 Cowboys

Average number of picks before first CB comes off the board: 8.5
    Last edited by MadCroatian; 05-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.