Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Daniel Jeremiah: Winters is poor mans DeCastro

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Daniel Jeremiah: Winters is poor mans DeCastro

    Just said on NFL Network that Brian Winters and Keenan Allen were his favorite 3rd round picks.

    Says Winters is nasty as hell and will start Day 1

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    wasn't the knock on decastro a lack of physicality? Doesn't really sound like winters.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    wasn't the knock on decastro a lack of physicality? Doesn't really sound like winters.
    Winters was a wrestler so he get sgreat leverage when down low. deCastro was not a wrestler. He is not nearly as physical as Winters but very gifted in his own right.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great. We need some nasty on the lines !!

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Just said on NFL Network that Brian Winters and Keenan Allen were his favorite 3rd round picks.

    Says Winters is nasty as hell and will start Day 1
    Saw that NFL Network and just don't get how he comes up with Decastro. You are talking about players that didn't even play the same position in college.

    Decastro was always considered a finesse player that could pull block with the best of em. Winters played LT and is much more physical but the tape just doesn't show him pulling all that much, especially since Decastro was pulling on almost every run play. Not saying he can't do it, but it's just not on tape.

    Overall I love the Winters pick, not so high on the Oday pick. Winters will IMO absolutely start on day 1 at LG and that is a good thing. Nothing like learning a new position between Brick and Mangold.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    "WINTER IS COMING"

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayock said Winters was "probably the nastiest player in this draft" the day we drafted him. The next day I watched an interview with Idzik where he called Winters nasty. Watched some videos on this Winters, the guy finishes every single play. Didnt look so great moving backwards (back-pedling i guess you would call it in pass blocking) in my opinion. And played in a defensively weak MAC conference where the guys he was up against looked alot smaller than him most times. In the two tapes I watched of him alot of his standout plays were against against the Buffalo Bulls (one of the MACs weaker teams, similar to Kent State)

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have nothing but great things about winters so far

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    wasn't the knock on decastro a lack of physicality? Doesn't really sound like winters.
    +1

    If Winters went to Penn St or somewhere with a big name, he'd have gone higher, IMO.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,495
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    "WINTER IS COMING"

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The 5th Dimension
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    "WINTER IS COMING"
    it is time to get behind the great WALL of JETSEROS up north

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Lion in WINTERS will be an instant starter on the OL


    great third round pick by Idzik IMO

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    it is time to get behind the great WALL of JETSEROS up north
    Just so!

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool

    Winters is not nasty, hes a cancerian, as all of you know, I prefer the term tenacious.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    Winters is not nasty, hes a cancerian, as all of you know, I prefer the term tenacious.
    Don't get testy! #testes

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    Mayock said Winters was "probably the nastiest player in this draft" the day we drafted him. The next day I watched an interview with Idzik where he called Winters nasty. Watched some videos on this Winters, the guy finishes every single play. Didnt look so great moving backwards (back-pedling i guess you would call it in pass blocking) in my opinion. And played in a defensively weak MAC conference where the guys he was up against looked alot smaller than him most times. In the two tapes I watched of him alot of his standout plays were against against the Buffalo Bulls (one of the MACs weaker teams, similar to Kent State)
    This is why you don't draft guards in the first round. The best guards are usually college OTs that are too short, and don't have the lateral movement necessary to play OT in the NFL. Not saying he'll be great, but if you take a bunch of these guys, you'll find one. I do think he has the most promise. Always great to have one of these nasty tattoo covered guys on your team.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posts
    5,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    russell wilson, is also a poor mans robert griffin iii, just sayin'

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    "WINTER IS COMING"
    Nuclear Winters?

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's got to minimize penalties.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    wasn't the knock on decastro a lack of physicality? Doesn't really sound like winters.
    You must have Decastro confused with someone else...


    And another interesting note about Winters is that he's only 21 right now.. Basically means he's going to get stronger over the next couple of years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us