Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Salary Cap

Did you guys not see Jimmy Graham's name on that list? There is the TE everyone has been calling for

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Explain it to me. Why is having 50 mill in cap space good when you don't have the players to go spend the money on? All they will do is not spend it and save Woody some coin.
    Maybe we lock up Wilkerson next offseason ahead of his last yr in rookie deal.. Maybe coples too, can get better deals signing them now as oppose to waiting toward end of rookie deal..

Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    According to Jason's site(Over the Cap)

Our current roster for 2014(not including the new draftees) is $96 million. Estimated cap is probably around $122 million leaving $26 million in cap space.

Cutting Sanchez and Holmes would make it $44 million in cap space.

Cutting Cromartie would earn another $9.5 million, bringing it to $53.5 million(roughly)

Looks like the Jets will be able to spend some serious coin next year
    Better question is who are the big free agents next year?

Hey, if we're switching to a 4-3, I see Vilma on the list!!

I doubt a lot of these guys become available. I see the Giants only being able to pay one of Cruz/Nicks, so I can definitely see us going after whomever the Giants let go. Orakpo is possible, but they don't have a lot of money really tied up anywhere so I see him staying.

I figure us to have around 45 million if we extend a guy like Cro and/or Wilkerson.

We have the ability to nab TWO of Cushing, Graham, Orakpo, Nicks/Cruz, Byrd - As well as maybe one or two solid B level talents ala Olsen, Finley, Maclin, and Whitner.
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 05-01-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Veteran
    The cap that isnt spent, doesnt it carry over to the next year and gives us even more to spend?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wait till more people realize that the FA class sucks. They will go bonkers about Revis if he returns to form.
    So you and all the doom and gloomers know who will or wont be cut a year in advance?

Sucks to go from whining about who is on the roster and our cap status to who isn't available when we do have cap room.

What any of this has to do with Revis is even more puzzling.

All Pro
    RB - Ben Tate, Darren McFadden, Maurice Jones-Drew
    FB - Michael Robinson
    WR - Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker
    T - Jared Veldheer, Brandon Albert*, Michael Oher
    TE - Jimmy Graham Jr
    PASS RUSHER - Brian Orakpo**
    LB - Brian Cushing / Sean Lee

Also there will always be a couple studs that are considered malcontents that will be available......

We'll be able to do what we want pretty much with some much salary cap room

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Maybe we lock up Wilkerson next offseason ahead of his last yr in rookie deal.. Maybe coples too, can get better deals signing them now as oppose to waiting toward end of rookie deal..

Wilkenson, Kerley and Wilson can be Extended, next off season, Coples can not. The new CBA specifies that rookies contracts can not be touched until after their 3rd year.

the thing is, it's easy to spend that cap money on the team's own players or high priced free agents. with that much money the vets are sure to want their's and then the decision will have to be to cut a very good player and then find another in the draft or fa. every team churns through 10 or 12 players each season and some of those will be very good and some will be jags. and then the homegrown guys like wilkerson will want to try and get their first big payday. it becomes a viscious circle.

idzik will have his work cut out for himself.

You never know the talent that will be in free agency. A lot of players end up getting cut too if teams don't want to pay them next year. Look at all the guys we sent to free agency alone that probably weren't on the 2013 list a year ago.

The main positives are that there are some good TEs, WRs, and a whole slew of DBs. You figure our O-line and D-line will be just about set (maybe some depth/competition additions) and we should have Geno at QB moving forward. We have so many draft picks that I don't really see us picking up THAT many free agents. We may bid for one big time player like a Jimmy Graham or Hakeem Nicks, but other than that I don't see much. Orakpo would be nice to pair with this line.

Oh yeah and Idzik won't have to restructure many overpaid Jets next year to save money because we will already have it

Just please don't trade away too many draft picks ever. Unless it's for Clowney, then do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So you and all the doom and gloomers know who will or wont be cut a year in advance?

Sucks to go from whining about who is on the roster and our cap status to who isn't available when we do have cap room.

What any of this has to do with Revis is even more puzzling.
    Let me solve the puzzle. Jets will have a lot of cap room next year, and there are not going to be a lot of top tier free agents to spend it on. Instead of giving up Revis for 2 picks, Jets could have extended him and still had money to go on a spending spree next offseason,

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    You never know the talent that will be in free agency. A lot of players end up getting cut too if teams don't want to pay them next year. Look at all the guys we sent to free agency alone that probably weren't on the 2013 list a year ago.

The main positives are that there are some good TEs, WRs, and a whole slew of DBs. You figure our O-line and D-line will be just about set (maybe some depth/competition additions) and we should have Geno at QB moving forward. We have so many draft picks that I don't really see us picking up THAT many free agents. We may bid for one big time player like a Jimmy Graham or Hakeem Nicks, but other than that I don't see much. Orakpo would be nice to pair with this line.

Oh yeah and Idzik won't have to restructure many overpaid Jets next year to save money because we will already have it

Just please don't trade away too many draft picks ever. Unless it's for Clowney, then do what you have to do.
    Thats true, but it also works the other way in that many of the "big" names you see on the list now, will not make it to free agency. Graham, Cushing and Decker will not make it to free agency. I doubt Orakpo becomes a FA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Explain it to me. Why is having 50 mill in cap space good when you don't have the players to go spend the money on? All they will do is not spend it and save Woody some coin.
    Because you can:

1) Sign free agents
    2) Extend your own players (Wilkerson, Kerley, Cro, etc.)
    3) Restructure your own players without extending them (move money up to take advantage of the cap space and create space down the road)
    4) Roll over unused cap space to the next season, so it can be used in a better FA class.

If there's one thing you can't accuse Woody of being, it's cheap. Jets have always spent to the cap - and beyond, in cash terms. The problem with the Jets isn't that they weren't spending - it's that they gave too much money to Sanchez, Harris, and Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Let me solve the puzzle. Jets will have a lot of cap room next year, and there are not going to be a lot of top tier free agents to spend it on. Instead of giving up Revis for 2 picks, Jets could have extended him and still had money to go on a spending spree next offseason,
    Sounds like a terrific 1 year plan. How about 2015 and beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Sounds like a terrific 1 year plan. How about 2015 and beyond?
    Jets don't have a lot of money committed in 2015, do they?

And the contract Revis signed in TB allows the team to release him in any year, no cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Jets don't have a lot of money committed in 2015, do they?

And the contract Revis signed in TB allows the team to release him in any year, no cap hit.

Not sure if serious or trolling.

Revis on a 16M per deal is not a viable long term plan. It impacts the Jets' ability to sign other players and otherwise build a team with a sensible allocation of assets. If we're going to give anyone 16M per in 2014, I'd rather it be Orakpo (younger, pass rusher) than Revis - and Orakpo won't even cost that much. Saying "we can cut him whenever" (assuming he signed the same deal) is basically saying "I don't need to have a long term plan".

Jimmy Graham
    Hakeem Nicks
    Brian Orakpo

3 people I'd like the Jets to sign

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Not sure if serious or trolling.

Revis on a 16M per deal is not a viable long term plan. It impacts the Jets' ability to sign other players and otherwise build a team with a sensible allocation of assets. If we're going to give anyone 16M per in 2014, I'd rather it be Orakpo (younger, pass rusher) than Revis - and Orakpo won't even cost that much. Saying "we can cut him whenever" (assuming he signed the same deal) is basically saying "I don't need to have a long term plan".
    Then you're extremely overrating Orakpo, and pass rushers in general. Compare the Washington overall and pass defense with Orakpo from 2009 to 2011, and the Jets' with Revis from 2009 to 2011. Do the same with any other pass rusher as well. Of course the other players on the D matter too, but we all know the Jets had no good pass rushers those years, yet still managed to have great Ds, and pass Ds in particular.

If you think 16M is too much to spend on any non-QB, then I see your argument but disagree. If you think it's too much to spend on Revis, but isn't too much to spend on a pass rusher, I don't understand the logic, it certainly is not supported by the results of the past few years.

And the long term plan with the Revis-TB contract is to have a great pass D if Revis plays like he played pre-injury, and the flexibility to try a new plan if that doesn't work out, with no cap ramifications.
    Last edited by jpoppy7; 05-01-2013 at 12:20 PM.