Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some personal insight on Geno Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think that should be the new Jets Sari chant. "We are concerned until proven otherwise".

Who doesn't look inconsistent against top defenses? Tom Brady looks inconsistent against our defense. The guy didn't say He was the next Peyton. He said if you give him time, and build around him he'll become a franchise QB. Relax. We got a great value pick, and a little hope for the future. No need to be concerned in May.
    im actually not concerned about the team in general since it is only may. However, the OP is the only one ive heard (wva person or not) who automatically thinks this guy is a franchise QB based on his college career and how he walks around campus. It's odd. Id like to see the guy play in the NFL and develop first before he is anointed a franchise QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo geno is a punk. he's got the whole punk attitude going for him. look at the whole draft night bs. even as a second round pick he will be doing something that many can only dream about and make some serious money to boot. i'm sure he put in as much time as any other college qb in making his team better but he also just slapped everyone in the face. and this thing about the agents is bush league especially if it's because of his draft placement. it's not like there were a ton of other qb's from better programs getting drafted this year. like anything else, draft placement by position is also a function of what year the draft is held. teams were looking for the beef so they didn't emphasize qb's.

the bottom line is he may be able to play the position but the punk attitude needs to go. i hope he will succeed if given the chance to qb the jets.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Question for the OP

What about the fumbles?

32 seems like a staggering amount and I have watched a couple breakdowns where it looked like he didnt see/feel backside or even throwing side pressure at all.

He appears to be excellent when the rush comes up the middle but the sides cause him problems

Curious if there was a pattern, or if it was bad protection etc

Thanks. Great post.
    Great question. I actually forgot to address this in the original post. I remember when Matt Ryan was coming out of BC, his senior year he had 19 Interceptions. I know a lot of analysts harped on the fact he couldn't take care of the ball. I don't think Ryan's interceptions have been a problem in the NFL thus far, nor do I believe Geno's fumbling will be.

For example, if you go watch the Texas game this past year, where he fumbled twice, both times the Right Tackle got pretty badly beat by the defensive end, and was able to get at Geno's arm pretty quickly after the snap.

I did reference in the original post that he will hang around in the pocket that extra second or two trying to find the receiver down field, rather than just scrambling for a few yards. This has caused him to take some extra hits that led to fumbles, but for the most part, I don't believe Geno's ball security will be an issue.

As Gruden mentioned in his QB camp episode with Geno, he ran a lot of plays because of our high tempo offense, allowing for more room for error. Overall though, Geno only threw 21 Interceptions in his career on 1465 attempts.

Of course with NFL coaching, and his primary focus allowed to be getting better at football, I think he ball handling should be something that improves also.

But the bottom line, in my opinion, I don't think you have to worry about turnovers with Geno, either interceptions or fumbles.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think Geno Smith is overrated and is going to bust out. That being said, I still think it was a smart move to draft him at 39. At that point, the reward outways the risk, and with the Jets QB situation, it was something they needed to do. I think it would be a horrible pick at 9 or 13, but you guys got good value at a position you desperately needed. Also, I'm not a scout or QB guru, so my analysis doesn't mean much. Good job by Idzik being patient on drafting him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    who would you prefer? The Turnover machine and his 26 annual interceptions and lost fumbles?
    Hey, you left out "Tijuana" from "Turnover machine."

You OK?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    DWC is jealous.
    i laughed out loud when i read this... oh how right u are!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    imo geno is a punk.
    well... you should be the expert.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Hey, you left out "Tijuana" from "Turnover machine."

You OK?
    Hey, go bother somebody else, Lardo

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know punks when i see them. if he succeeds with the jets then i'll be a fan just as much as anyone but until then, i believe we have a qb who needs some attitude adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    well... you should be the expert.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets may have gotten lucky for once. Everyone knows that NFL is a copy cat league, and this might have been the year when it was 'trendy' to pass on QB's (really cant see the logic behind Barkley falling so far down).

a player with Geno's credentials no matter how much bad tape would have surely gone in the top 15 almost every other year ive watched the NFL.

Reading the post by the OP, just sounds to me like he needs to adapt his game to the NFL, and get good coaching. I tell u what i feel 100000000 times better having MM back there with a young QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great article very insightful, thank you for taking the time out to write it.
    Welcome aboard
    Last edited by FTL Jet Fan; 05-01-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe resler View Post
    i laughed out loud when i read this... oh how right u are!
    seriously though, the OP's write up is great and very informative.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I personally think Geno Smith is overrated and is going to bust out. That being said, I still think it was a smart move to draft him at 39. At that point, the reward outways the risk, and with the Jets QB situation, it was something they needed to do. I think it would be a horrible pick at 9 or 13, but you guys got good value at a position you desperately needed. Also, I'm not a scout or QB guru, so my analysis doesn't mean much. Good job by Idzik being patient on drafting him.
    This is what I think exactly. I think Geno will NOT pan out as an NFL quarterback. But I'm fine with taking a chance in round two on him. We took Ducasse three years ago so why not...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post!

Hey Jeteers, just wanted to thank you for a terrific post and for putting in the effort. Beats most everything the media hacks put out there.
    Cheers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know punks when i see them. if he succeeds with the jets then i'll be a fan just as much as anyone but until then, i believe we have a qb who needs some attitude adjustment.
    he does. i like the talent, the release, the athleticism and overall accuracy. i can see why he fell, but the tools and confidence are there. i think over time he'll settle down as he gets going in the new offense and channels his energy more productively. it's understandable how pissed he is, considering he was long considered a top 5 pick and then he fell out of the first round while the entire draft world watched him suffer. give the guy some time to get over the snub. all these writers, they've never been in a position close to that kind of embarrassment and humiliation.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He fired an agent for doing his job. What's gonna happen when an OL misses his assignment or a WR drops a pass?

This guy sounds like he's got accountability issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would anyone perceive Geno as a punk is beyond me. When interviewed he was thanking God and telling everyone how happy he was to be a Jet. He is going to work hard and just happy to be in the NFL with a chance to compete.

He shows some swagger which sends a message that he is going to be good. I like this kid a lot. Let's not judge a book by its cover and give the guy a chance.

Very nice post Jeteers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo geno is a punk. he's got the whole punk attitude going for him. look at the whole draft night bs. even as a second round pick he will be doing something that many can only dream about and make some serious money to boot. i'm sure he put in as much time as any other college qb in making his team better but he also just slapped everyone in the face. and this thing about the agents is bush league especially if it's because of his draft placement. it's not like there were a ton of other qb's from better programs getting drafted this year. like anything else, draft placement by position is also a function of what year the draft is held. teams were looking for the beef so they didn't emphasize qb's.

the bottom line is he may be able to play the position but the punk attitude needs to go. i hope he will succeed if given the chance to qb the jets.
    funny, but by all accounts you are completely wrong. But that would be consistent with all your useless posts. Thanks for sharing your intelligent and informed perspective. You certainly enrich everyone's JI experience.
    **cough**

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jeteers. Very informative post, and looking forward to seeing Geno in the Green & White.