Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    wish our beat writers wrote this good..

Well

Great info ... Much appreciated!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article.

For better or worse, we actually can look at a body of work and have some sort of guide.

This is itself an improvement at QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    from rotoworld

Several NFL executives who spent "extensive time" with Jets rookie Geno Smith before the draft believe Smith faces significant NFL roadblocks because he's "tuned out" and fails to realize he doesn't know everything.

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said one exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft visits. "All these other players were talking to coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    imo geno is a punk. he's got the whole punk attitude going for him. look at the whole draft night bs. even as a second round pick he will be doing something that many can only dream about and make some serious money to boot. i'm sure he put in as much time as any other college qb in making his team better but he also just slapped everyone in the face. and this thing about the agents is bush league especially if it's because of his draft placement. it's not like there were a ton of other qb's from better programs getting drafted this year. like anything else, draft placement by position is also a function of what year the draft is held. teams were looking for the beef so they didn't emphasize qb's.

the bottom line is he may be able to play the position but the punk attitude needs to go. i hope he will succeed if given the chance to qb the jets.
    You wouldn't know the guy if he sat next to you but you know hes a punk.

You can't make this stuff out. Give people a computer and they become a scout, psychic and psychiatrist all wrapped into one

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo geno is a punk. he's got the whole punk attitude going for him. look at the whole draft night bs. even as a second round pick he will be doing something that many can only dream about and make some serious money to boot. i'm sure he put in as much time as any other college qb in making his team better but he also just slapped everyone in the face. and this thing about the agents is bush league especially if it's because of his draft placement. it's not like there were a ton of other qb's from better programs getting drafted this year. like anything else, draft placement by position is also a function of what year the draft is held. teams were looking for the beef so they didn't emphasize qb's.

the bottom line is he may be able to play the position but the punk attitude needs to go. i hope he will succeed if given the chance to qb the jets.
    GTFO with this. You're saying he shouldn't have been upset about his draft day free fall? Tell that to Aaron Rodgers who still plays with a chip on his shoulders because of it.

Who in the hell sides with agents over players in this day and age? Geno employed them, why would he retain them if he thought they did a poor job?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteers View Post
    I have never spoken a word to Geno, for whatever that is worth. The closest I've come to personally knowing Geno is just passing him along the way to class, or on senior night when he came up in the student section to sing "Country Roads."

I'm just a fan, who'd like to believe I know a little bit about the game of football, and just want to pass along my personal knowledge and ideas of your future quarterback.
    Hell yeah! Love that song!
    Thanks for the writeup... Good info!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0YzZ37Kxo

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You wouldn't know the guy if he sat next to you but you know hes a punk.

You can't make this stuff out. Give people a computer and they become a scout, psychic and psychiatrist all wrapped into one
    Amen Brother..........AMEN!!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your post!
    I am sure i speak for everyone (even the naysayers) when i say that i hope your prediction about Geno becoming our franchise QB comes true...we’ve all been waiting long enough.
    Welcome to J.I.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo geno is a punk. he's got the whole punk attitude going for him. look at the whole draft night bs. ...
    I don't think he is a Punk ... Want to see a Punk ? We have the premier punk in the league and he will be catching passes from Geno .... SantanMeo Holmes ... That guys is off the punk meter.

Geno sounded pretty humbled and excited to me.

He is a decent second round QB that was brought in to compete until next year when we draft a franchise QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking adeadspin's reasoning for GENO FIRING OF HIS AGENTS

Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    Damn! I thought I was the only Geno expert on JI. Oh well....i joined in 2003.
    Sanchez never had half Geno's talent. The WVU kid makes a lot of good points. The Mounties' D was the worst I've ever seen last year. With a couple defensive stands, they would have won 9 or 10 games and Geno would have been in NYC for Heisman ceremony. He WAS the odds on favorite to win it after the Baylor and Texas games.
    Anyway....he played 4 years at WVU....Sanchez played 1 year at USC. That is a big difference. We GOT A HELL OF A GOOD PICK AT #39!!!! Cheer the f*#k up!
    ......With all the news in recent days about Geno Smith, and what befell him during the draft and how it all played out, Deadspin picked up on the story and talked to someone in Geno’s camp about his reasoning for firing his former agency, Select Sports.

Smith, we’re told, was more upset that Select Sports handled him like a potential high pick, failing to do the sorts of things that could have improved his draft position. Our source says Smith wanted to take part in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for talent looking to move up, but his agents convinced him to skip it. When Pro Football Weekly issued a scathing scouting report, calling Smith “not committed or focused” and deriding his “marginal work ethic,” Smith was disappointed that his agents did nothing to combat the negative press it created, our source says.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good writeup, thanks for taking the time to do that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Question for the OP

What about the fumbles?

32 seems like a staggering amount and I have watched a couple breakdowns where it looked like he didnt see/feel backside or even throwing side pressure at all.

He appears to be excellent when the rush comes up the middle but the sides cause him problems

Curious if there was a pattern, or if it was bad protection etc

Thanks. Great post.
    Not crazy high, when you factor in the lack of interrceptions and how many snaps he had to play because they seemed to be giving up 50 pts every game. Hope he improves on that, though.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jeteers for taking the time! It's especially nice to hear the "WVU insider" commentary. You clearly have a unique and qualified perspective on Geno, and I'm sure you'll be following his career going forward. That said, I look forward to your POV on his development as he takes this next step. I know you mentioned you're not a Patriot's fan. Are you a fan of any particular NFL team?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Jeteers! Thanks for sharing your insight with this board. You have provided more substantive information on Geno Smith than most of the hacks in the media have. Hope you stick around.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteers View Post
    Hello Jet Fans,

Now one of the most important factors to a quarterback in my opinion is, can the QB come up in the clutch? I want a guy who with 2 minutes left in a game and down 4, leads a team on a game winning drive.

Geno displayed this quality from a very early age in his career. In just his 2nd career start, down 15, Geno led two back-to-back 90 plus yard drives late in the 4th quarter at Marshall, and eventually won the game in overtime. That included a 2-point conversion with just seconds left in the game to send it to overtime. Keep in mind WVU has never lost to Marshall, their fans treat it as a Superbowl when they play us, and Geno snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, leaving them stunned. How many guys in their 2nd career start could manage that?
    I was sitting on the 40-yard line for that game and will now hate you forever, Jeteers Waterboy!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Not crazy high, when you factor in the lack of interrceptions and how many snaps he had to play because they seemed to be giving up 50 pts every game. Hope he improves on that, though.
    If he actually watched him play he would see just how crazy that offense was. Taking the ball from a shotgun every snap with guys running in front of him, and handing off, pitching, or faking hand offs while running a hurry up. Actually getting in up to 100 offensive plays in a game. It kind of puts things into perspective.