Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's updated power rankings after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    The Jets are ranked last (32nd) with all five ESPN columnists voting Jets between 30 -32. It confirms the ESPN analysts such as Mel Kiper describing the Jets as a glorified expansion team with no dynamic skill players.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0

Nowhere to go but up.
    I wouldn't have put us anywhere below #26.

With that said, great. Ranked deal last is fine by me.

I assure you, we won't be the worst team in the NFL in 2013.

We might have the worst QB in the NFL in 2013, but we most certainly will not have the worst record or worst team.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Don't know about 32nd in the league, but we're the worst team in the AFCE, again. People here are overestimating our draft, and rookies typically don't make much of an impact anyways. Need a few years of quality drafts to even get close to being a playoff team.
    Buffalo picked ahead of us this past draft so they technically were worse.

As I stated in a previous post I agree about the new players needing some time, however I also off set that by saying that we can't possibly get a worse QB performance than we did last year. I just don't see it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

As I stated in a previous post I agree about the new players needing some time, however I also off set that by saying that we can't possibly get a worse QB performance than we did last year. I just don't see it.
    we won 6 games last year with atrocious QB play, an OC with no experience and hurt receivers. This year I expect better QB play and our receivers back. Plus I expect better OL play. Howard has more experience now. Colon is a beast and Winters will learn quickly. I expect BRICK & NICK to revert back to their pro bowl years! This year we possibly will have a mich more potent run attack and an OC who knows how to win games. If we do worse then 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 I will be surprised. The media always dumps on the Jets and we always respond by playing better then they write.

i dont get how the jets are any worse than last year. i think people forget they were 6-10 (if i remember correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Completely agree - acknowledging such, why would the Jets even consider bringing him to training camp?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    we won 6 games last year with atrocious QB play, an OC with no experience and hurt receivers. This year I expect better QB play and our receivers back. Plus I expect better OL play. Howard has more experience now. Colon is a beast and Winters will learn quickly. I expect BRICK & NICK to revert back to their pro bowl years! This year we possibly will have a mich more potent run attack and an OC who knows how to win games. If we do worse then 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 I will be surprised. The media always dumps on the Jets and we always respond by playing better then they write.
    +1 The Fins went from 1-15 to 11-5 by adding Chaddy.. The Jets went from 1-15 in 96 to 9-7 by adding the Tuna..

All League
    Most important acquisition the Jets have made is the hiring of Marty Mornhinweg.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Most important acquisition the Jets have made is the hiring of Marty Mornhinweg.
    This is a good point, and our only hope at sniffing an 8-8 season. IF Mornhinweg can somehow get average QB production (qb rating near 90) from whoever is under center we could be a decent team.

Love it. 6 and 10 with our best offensive and defensive player injured, with the 34th best qb play in the league.

Obtain three first round talents in the draft. No major FA losses, except for maybe Landry (and we got his brother).

Two pro bowl offensive linemen. Two new above average RBs. Frmr super bowl MVP wideout, along with a physical freak and a reliable slot guy. Improved qb play by default.

Expansion team, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Love it. 6 and 10 with our best offensive and defensive player injured, with the 34th best qb play in the league.

Obtain three first round talents in the draft. No major FA losses, except for maybe Landry (and we got his brother).

Two pro bowl offensive linemen. Two new above average RBs. Frmr super bowl MVP wideout, along with a physical freak and a reliable slot guy. Improved qb play by default.

Expansion team, folks.
    +1.
    Prior to the draft I counted that we have 7 possible pro-bowlers (Mangold, Brick, Santonio, Cro, Harris, Wilkerson & Coples). Meaning no one would be surprised if any of these guys made it to the Pro-Bowl.
    Glorified expansion team huh?

All Pro
    This will only Play into Ryan's Hands... he is a Motivator and he will preach the old "us against the world" to his Players...

It's absurd that we are ranked #32. You can't even convince me that a team, ranked, let's say #15 (the Rams), is even objectively clearly better than us. Our D is way too good to be the worst team in the league. There's a chance we significantly upgraded our weakest position (QB). Our skill players are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. How is the comment to the ranking we added to the QB drama? Wouldn't any sane person say... the Jets had the worst QB play of basically any team in football last year and added the #1 QB prospect in the draft. How can that possibly be viewed as a bad thing?

This team with good QB play (a big if) will surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This is a good point, and our only hope at sniffing an 8-8 season. IF Mornhinweg can somehow get average QB production (qb rating near 90) from whoever is under center we could be a decent team.
    I think "average" QB production would net us more than 8 wins actually. Just not sure we have the QB's to do that this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 The Fins went from 1-15 to 11-5 by adding Chaddy.. The Jets went from 1-15 in 96 to 9-7 by adding the Tuna..
    The Jets went from 1-15 in 96 to 9-7 by subtracting Kotite.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The Jets went from 1-15 in 96 to 9-7 by subtracting Kotite.
    And by me saying; adding the Tuna you thought I meant Kotite was still the HC??

JETS RANK 32 IN MAY-- BUT IMPROVEMENTS ARE COMING FROM MM

New York Jets are 32nd in ESPN’s “5 months before they actually play a real game” Power Rankings but of course we know that means nothing. The Jets have steadily improved arguably the league’s worst 2012 roster over the course of the off-season. You can make a very sensible argument that they are a bottom ten team on paper but fortunately the games aren’t played on paper. The Jets managed 6 wins last season with Mark Sanchez playing the worst football in the NFL at the quarterback position, Shonn Greene plodding around and Mardy Gilyard running routes on offense, while Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott and a severely banged up Sione Pouha took major reps on defense.

The roster is a work in progress but the progress is being made. Yet, there are still some depth charts holes that jump out in particular.

Tight End - Jeff Cumberland isn’t a starting tight end, John Idzik knows this. He wouldn’t have tried to trade for Jermichael Finley or sign Fred Davis if he thought he was. The Jets board didn’t match up to take a tight end early so they didn’t draft one, as they stuck to taking the best value and didn’t let need dictate their decisions. But what to do now?

Keep an eye on Brent Celek, who thrived in Marty Mornhinweg’s offense in Philadelphia and is suddenly part of a crowded tight end room with Zach Ertz and James Casey. The Jets may be able to swing a trade

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And by me saying; adding the Tuna you thought I meant Kotite was still the HC??
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    The Jets are ranked last (32nd) with all five ESPN columnists voting Jets between 30 -32. It confirms the ESPN analysts such as Mel Kiper describing the Jets as a glorified expansion team with no dynamic skill players.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0

Nowhere to go but up.
    Subject matter aside, a poll of ESPN analysts does not "confirm" ESPN analysis, it repeats it.

Circular logic.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    John Idzik & then MM

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Expansion team, folks.
    Keller was a huge loss. And has not been replaced yet.