Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Stop with David Garrad

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Stop with David Garrad

Can everyone stop talking up Garrad so much. I keep reading it on this board and from beat writers as well as the TV media.

This guy hasnt played in 2 YEARS! He is coming off of multiple injuries the last few years and he was never that good to begin with.

He had a few good years but thats it. He never put up big numbers. The biggest thing he is known for is not turning the ball over. Thats great in all but you have to score points as well.

He is a hold the fort guy at best. I think the best thing we can hope for is he doesnt see the field. He can be the new Mark Brunnel. Its either Sanchez or Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's definitely NOT going to be Sanchez.
    I think the Garrard starts until Geno is ready, which won't be very long, IMO is a pretty logical assessment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on Garard. To count on him as starter looking at past history is ridiculous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Co-sign. 2 years out of the league is an eternity, especially at his age. Sanchez will start if Geno is not ready (which is likely IMO)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno will start week 1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez career 55% 6.5avg 68td 69int 72rating

David Garrard career 61.6% 7.0avg 89td 54int 86rating

So should we be talking about Sanchez?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Can everyone stop talking up Garrad so much. I keep reading it on this board and from beat writers as well as the TV media.

This guy hasnt played in 2 YEARS! He is coming off of multiple injuries the last few years and he was never that good to begin with.

He had a few good years but thats it. He never put up big numbers. The biggest thing he is known for is not turning the ball over. Thats great in all but you have to score points as well.

He is a hold the fort guy at best. I think the best thing we can hope for is he doesnt see the field. He can be the new Mark Brunnel. Its either Sanchez or Geno.
    It looks like you are not even willing to give Garrard a fair shot at the job. You mind is set! Its Sanchez. Please don't add Geno as an after thought. Garrard played last preseason and won the starting job in Miami and then was injured. Nothing major but an injury nonethe less. In your mind he wa snever good. I saw him play many times and I thought he was good. If we signed the guy someone in the Jets FO must think he has something left and can do the job. Obviously you disagree.

In my opinion I think all the QBs deserve a fair chance to win the job! I notice you excluded McElroy and Simms. I doubt that Simms can win a competition but I think McElroy can open a few eyes, even those of Sanchez fans. In a WCO accuracy is a mandatory asset to have. Big numbers mean zilch. Only wins! Short to intermediate passes will keep the chains moving. Sanchez does not fare well in those type of passes. Hopefully he can correct his faults! I want the best QB that gives the Jets a chance to win as our starter!

What happens if Garrard wins the competition and McElroy comes in #2? You want us to cut Geno and keep Sanchez around? Just askin'......
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 05-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I agree on Garard. To count on him as starter looking at past history is ridiculous.
    I really haven't been keeping up with the whole Garrard/starter thoughts around here...

People REALLY expect him to be THE guy?

I think he beats out Sanchez, but I don't expect him to be the starter for very long... He'll be great to mentor Geno, too.

The guy is smart- they both are(Geno/Garrard). Sanchez' attitude will determine whether he's the 3rd guy or not, but if anything happens we will have a KILLER ground game and a stifling D. It's a good thing.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 05-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mark Sanchez career 55% 6.5avg 68td 69int 72rating

David Garrard career 61.6% 7.0avg 89td 54int 86rating

So should we be talking about Sanchez?
    rotflmao You nailed it! +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

And he's still better than Sanchez, how bad is that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Garrard has had the most success of any QB on this roster in his career.

That's why he's getting talked about so much... He's a good QB when healthy. Supposedly he's healthy now. That's what you pay the doctors for.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree to stop talking about David Garrard in any conversation that doesn't include Sanchez, McElroy or Simms.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Garrard has had the most success of any QB on this roster in his career.

That's why he's getting talked about so much... He's a good QB when healthy. Supposedly he's healthy now. That's what you pay the doctors for.
    The poll yesterday of JI members on who will start (not who you want or think should start) was 50 Sanchez, 30 each to Smith and Garrard, and 1 to Simms

And Rex said yesterday something like "You're going to see a Sanchez like you've never seen before."

I'm not advocating a Sanchez start, but I do think it's inevitable. He's as good in practice as Tebow was bad. He's been studying and working hard, knows the traits of his teammates, and will have a tailored offense and better protection. It won't be SB great, but it may be tolerable while Geno comes up to speed and Garrard steps in for emergencies.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Brunell 2.0 at best, seriously this guy has no business actually playing in this league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    The poll yesterday of JI members on who will start (not who you want or think should start) was 50 Sanchez, 30 each to Smith and Garrard, and 1 to Simms

And Rex said yesterday something like "You're going to see a Sanchez like you've never seen before."

I'm not advocating a Sanchez start, but I do think it's inevitable. He's as good in practice as Tebow was bad. He's been studying and working hard, knows the traits of his teammates, and will have a tailored offense and better protection. It won't be SB great, but it may be tolerable while Geno comes up to speed and Garrard steps in for emergencies.
    But he can't read a Defense for $HIT! Hey, I'm all for it if he can somehow miraculously become a good QB all of the sudden, but I just don't see it. If he DOES then MM deserves to be Coach of the Decade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I said the other day that he's nothing more than Brunnel was when he was here. Garrard is not an option to start IMO.

As bad as it sounds, I'd much rather see Sanchez out there than the 35-year-old who hasn't taken a snap in two years.

It's nonsense to think, right now, that he's anything more than a backup.

Now if he comes to camp in fantastic shape and is lighting it up, OK. But RIGHT NOW, there's no reason to believe that will happen as far as I'm concerned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez will start and go out with a concussion in first game. Garrard and Geno will do the same shortly after.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not plAying is a step up from Sanchez the last 2 years

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Sanchez will start and go out with a concussion in first game. Garrard and Geno will do the same shortly after.
    Yayyy McElroy !!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the QB who shows the most in OTAs, TC, and the preseason should be the starting QB whether its Garrard, Smith or Simms.