Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Please Stop with David Garrad

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    please stop with the dumb threads

  2. #42
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see Geno develop and start some games in 2013. With that experience 2014 will be a better year for us if he is what we think he is. Turnover6 only works out if he is trade at the end of the year to help us in the 2014 draft.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Can everyone stop talking up Garrad so much. I keep reading it on this board and from beat writers as well as the TV media.

    This guy hasnt played in 2 YEARS! He is coming off of multiple injuries the last few years and he was never that good to begin with.

    He had a few good years but thats it. He never put up big numbers. The biggest thing he is known for is not turning the ball over. Thats great in all but you have to score points as well.

    He is a hold the fort guy at best. I think the best thing we can hope for is he doesnt see the field. He can be the new Mark Brunnel. Its either Sanchez or Geno.
    Healthy Garrard is the best QB on the roster right now ... hands down.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mark Sanchez career 55% 6.5avg 68td 69int 72rating

    David Garrard career 61.6% 7.0avg 89td 54int 86rating

    So should we be talking about Sanchez?
    And who on the Jets could compare to MJD - anybody ?? - Beuller ?? - crickets

  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Healthy Garrard is the best QB on the roster right now ... hands down.
    As sad as that statement is its true. Hopefully geno can learn in a few months what Sanchez couldn't in 4 years..

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as it's not the Turnover Machine, the Jets will be better at QB in 2013.

    The TM can only get WORSE...and make the Jets WORSE

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    A heathy Garrard at QB last year and we are a playoff team. He is an average NFL QB, and average play at QB as opposed to having the worst QB play in the entire league would have given us 3 more wins for sure. Team will be better next year with the additions, so Garrard makes sense to me.

  8. #48
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    And who on the Jets could compare to MJD - anybody ?? - Beuller ?? - crickets
    And who was DG throwing to? The offenses Sanchez played on in 2009 and 2010 were much more talented than anything DG has ever seen. Yet, Sanchez, even surrounded by a great line, pro bowl RB, and multiple receiving threats still sucked.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Veteran. Character guy. Born in East Orange. Practiced with Miami just last year and was considered the favorite to win the starting job but opted to have a minor surgery on his knee.

    Year before that he opted for a surgery on a herniated disc.

    In 2010 had a QB rating of 91 and was elected a Pro Bowl alternate.

    Screw him.

    The Jets should just throw another rookie QB with maturity issues into the firestorm of New York.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,531
    Post Thanks / Like
    you make it sound like he has been on a couch for 2 years...he had BEAT out tannyhill last year before getting hurt.....I trust the jets judgement in qb's over anyone here. To assume the man can't play right now is absurd,,,,how about watching him play first.



    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Can everyone stop talking up Garrad so much. I keep reading it on this board and from beat writers as well as the TV media.

    This guy hasnt played in 2 YEARS! He is coming off of multiple injuries the last few years and he was never that good to begin with.

    He had a few good years but thats it. He never put up big numbers. The biggest thing he is known for is not turning the ball over. Thats great in all but you have to score points as well.

    He is a hold the fort guy at best. I think the best thing we can hope for is he doesnt see the field. He can be the new Mark Brunnel. Its either Sanchez or Geno.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coach Philbin named Garrard his starting QB during training camp. THEN he had injury and Tannehill was selected as his replacement

    Far from washed up

    and by miles, the best quarterback on the Jet roster


    in order of quality that list is

    1 Garrard

    2 Smith

    3 McElroy

    4 Simms

    5 Girly Headband


    Hopefully number 5 on the list will be released in less than a month so he can stop having press conferences and distracting the real quarterbacks from their job

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Coach Philbin named Garrard his starting QB during training camp. THEN he had injury and Tannehill was selected as his replacement

    Far from washed up

    and by miles, the best quarterback on the Jet roster


    in order of quality that list is

    1 Garrard

    2 Smith

    3 McElroy

    4 Simms

    5 Girly Headband


    Hopefully number 5 on the list will be released in less than a month so he can stop having press conferences and distracting the real quarterbacks from their job
    I agree with most of this, but there are a couple of things I would say differently. First of all, Garrard wasn't injured. He had soreness in his knee, and got it scoped, because it was preseason. I feel bad for him that we drafted Geno. After the last two years of Gabbert, and Tannehill. Talk about Dejavu. Even so, I'm hoping history repeats itself, and a rookie takes his job for the third year in a row. Either way I think the offense will be much better than people think with Garrard, and MM. Just like the defense was better than people thought in 2009.

    Then I have to say you are going a little overboard with the Sanchez thing. You're sounding alarmingly similar to guys like Magnus. I get that your angry that he let us down. He embarrassed us with the spineless, pathetic way he crumbled, but the arguments that he was never put in a position to succeed are still true. In fact with a decent QB coach, and OC I'd wager he'll look very good as long as things go well. I wouldn't have chosen the path, but I'm kind of glad now that his character was revealed, so we don't have to waste more time on him. I don't want this child to lead our team, but I'm still hoping he looks good in preseason, and maybe in some mop up work so we can get a pick for him.

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    you make it sound like he has been on a couch for 2 years...he had BEAT out tannyhill last year before getting hurt.....I trust the jets judgement in qb's over anyone here. To assume the man can't play right now is absurd,,,,how about watching him play first.
    He didn't beat out ****. He was listed as #1 on the first preseason depth chart to light a fire under Tannehill, who was going to be the starter period.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Garrard starts any games for the Jets this year it is a bad thing for the growth of this organization. IF the Jets go into camp with Sanchez, Smith and Garrard, I would think Smith would have to really s**t the bed in camp to not be named starter. The notion that Smith needs to "sit and learn" is a fallacy, he isnt a 7th round developmental QB like McElroy, he was the best QB of this past draft and selected #39 overall. Plus, he isnt sitting behind Manning, Favre or even an average effective QB like Alex Smith was in San Fran. The quicker Smith plays and starts the learning curve the better. Garrard can help with the "off the field" stuff (film prep, playbook stuff and game prep) but as far as playing time goes, Smith needs to play from day one.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    He didn't beat out ****. He was listed as #1 on the first preseason depth chart to light a fire under Tannehill, who was going to be the starter period.
    Wrong.

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Garrard starts any games for the Jets this year it is a bad thing for the growth of this organization. IF the Jets go into camp with Sanchez, Smith and Garrard, I would think Smith would have to really s**t the bed in camp to not be named starter. The notion that Smith needs to "sit and learn" is a fallacy, he isnt a 7th round developmental QB like McElroy, he was the best QB of this past draft and selected #39 overall. Plus, he isnt sitting behind Manning, Favre or even an average effective QB like Alex Smith was in San Fran. The quicker Smith plays and starts the learning curve the better. Garrard can help with the "off the field" stuff (film prep, playbook stuff and game prep) but as far as playing time goes, Smith needs to play from day one.
    I disagree .... If Smith wins the battle in camp , so be it. If Garrard wins , he starts ... Period.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    He didn't beat out ****. He was listed as #1 on the first preseason depth chart to light a fire under Tannehill, who was going to be the starter period.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...miami-dolphins

    If the Miami Dolphins wanted the "sexy" pick for their starting quarterback, they'd go with Lauren Tannehill...erm, I mean Ryan Tannehill.

    But sexy isn't the name of the game in the West Coast offense—it's efficiency, football intelligence and experience. In all three areas, Dolphins quarterback David Garrard is ahead of the pack and should be the Dolphins' starter.

    Sure, each of the three potential starting quarterbacks—Tannehill, Garrard and Matt Moore—come with a unique set of pros and cons, but Garrard makes the most sense of the three.

    Moorevgarrard_original Stats courtesy Pro Football Reference

    In statistics that matter most for West Coast offensive quarterbacks—completion percentage, passer rating, touchdown-to-interception ratio and more—Garrard is the superior passer.

    The stats really speak to the on-field truth that Garrard is better at going through his progressions and throwing to the open receiver than Moore is.

    Marshallvsrestofteam2010-2011_original

    One look at the production of Brandon Marshall, as opposed to the rest of the Dolphins receivers, reveals the impact Marshall had on Moore and the offense as a whole.

    Garrard, on the other hand, has gotten it done efficiently for years yet has never had top-end talent at receiver. He had one of his best seasons in 2010 despite a receiving corps comprised of Mike Thomas, Mike Sims-Walker, Jason Hill, Tiquan Underwood and Kassim Osgood.

    He had one of his best performances that season against the Buffalo Bills in Week 5, going 16-of-20 (80 percent completions) for 178 yards, three touchdowns, one interception and a 122.5 passer rating. His lone interception was a pass that was tipped at the line and brought down by linebacker Kawika Mitchell; it's hard to hold Garrard 100 percent at fault for that.

    But in that game, he spread the ball fairly evenly between five different receivers and showed his ability to go through his progressions time and time again.

    Garrard4_crop_exact
    On first down from inside the Bills territory, the Jaguars lined up in an I formation. Garrard sent running back Maurice Jones-Drew in motion to split out wide to the left of the formation.

    Garrard6_crop_exact
    Garrard began his progression immediately, as he began dropping back by looking to the right side of the field toward Mike Sims-Walker.

    Garrard5_crop_exact
    He came quickly back to the middle of the field.

    Garrard7_crop_exact
    He then looked to the left side of the field, where he found a wide-open Marcedes Lewis. Garrard smelled the mismatch from a mile away and threw up a jump ball for his big tight end, who came down with the ball and scored the touchdown.

    Throwing the ball so high may have made for a tough catch for Lewis, but it also assured that the pass would most likely be either complete or incomplete, and not intercepted.

    All in the span of two seconds.

    Should David Garrard be the Dolphins starting quarterback for Week 1?
    Yes No Submit Vote vote to see results
    Garrard is admittedly more comfortable in the West Coast offense and told Vito Stellino of The Florida Times-Union, "l love getting the ball out of my hands fast, moving in the pocket, bootlegging. The style and the scheme they are doing is going to be great. A lot of the terminology is similar to what I was already running."

    It's showing up in practice, too.

    ESPN's James Walker offers his observations from Dolphins camp and says, "Garrard has looked more comfortable this offseason in Miami's new West Coast offense. It's a system the veteran has played in before."

    He'll probably be throwing a bit more than he did as a Jaguar, but if his efficiency stays consistent with what it's been throughout his career, that can only mean good things for the Dolphins offense.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mark Sanchez career 55% 6.5avg 68td 69int 72rating

    David Garrard career 61.6% 7.0avg 89td 54int 86rating

    So should we be talking about Sanchez?
    The numbers don't lie.

    He is six months younger than Brady ... he's not exactly an old man.


    Yes, his health will determine more than anything if he will succeed with the Jets, lets just play it out and see what happens.

    Sanchez will play much better in MM's offense this year (if he gets an opportunity) but don't count Garrard out, if David stays healthy I expect it to be a true competition with Geno being upset about not getting enough reps.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us